Carlow, bar., in the NW. of the above co., 31,364 ac.,
pop. 9962.—3. Carlow, par., co. Carlow, and township,
also in Killeshin par., Queens co., at the confluence of
the rivers Barrow and Burren, 56 miles SW. of Dublin
by rail—par., 3319 ac., pop. 6589; township and town,
629 ac., pop. 7185; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-
days, Monday and Thursday; has important agricul-
tural markets. Anthracite coal is worked in the dis-
trict. The town returned 1 member to Parliament
Carlo way, dist. and vil., W. coast of Lewis island,
Ross-shire, at head of Loch Carloway, near mouth of
Loch Roag, pop. of vil., 316; P.O.; near the vil. is a
circular fort, Pictish or Scandinavian, larger and more
entire than almost any other in Scotland. In the dist.
lived blind Rory the Harpers father, the original
translator of the Psalms into Gaelic.
Carlowrle Castle, seat, in par. and 1£ mile E. of
Kirkliston, NE. Linlithgowshire.
Carlows Linn, waterfall on river Tweed, SW.
Peeblesshire, in par. and near Tweedsmuir church.
Carlton.—par., NW. Bedfordshire, on border of co.,
44 miles NE. of Olney, 1530 ac., pop. 474; P.O.—
2. Carlton, 7 miles S. of Newmarket, SE. Cambridge-
shire ; p.o. See Carlton cum Willingham. — 3.
Carlton, township with ry. sta., Redmarshall par.,
S. Durham, 4 miles NW. of Stockton-upon-Tees, 1501
ac., pop. 209; P.O. at C. Ironworks.—4. Carlton,
township, Market Bosworth par., S. Leicestershire, on
Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal, pop. 274.—5. Carlton, town
with ry. sta., Gedling par., S. Notts, 34 miles NE. of
Nottingham, pop. 4625; P.O., T.o.—6. Carlton, par.,
E. Suffolk, near Saxmundham, 543 ac., pop. 94; con-
tains Carlton Hall.—7. Carlton, township, Coverham
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles SW. of Middle-
ham, 2742 ac., pop. 252; P.O.—8. Carlton, par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 34 miles SW. of Stokesley, 1358 ac.,
pop. 253; P.O.—9. Carlton, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles
N. of Helmsley, North-Riding Yorkshire.—10. Carlton,
township, Husthwaite par., North-Riding Yorksh., 5 m.
NW. of Easingwold, 819 ac.,pop. 168.—II. Carlton,par.
and vil., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Aire,
2 miles SW. of Skipton, 5258 ac., pop. 1691; P.O., T.o.
—12. Carlton, township, Guiseley par., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Warp, 24 miles SE. of
Otley, 1289 ac.,pop. 90; contains Carlton Manor.—13.
Carlton, township, Roystone par., S. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 3 miles NE. of Barnsley, 1978 ac., pop. 1085;
P.O.—14. Carlton, township, Snaith par., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 14 mile N. of Snaith, 4220 ac., pop.
747; P.O.; contains Carlton Hall.—15. Carlton, ham-
let, Rothwell par., West-Riding Yorkshire, 44 miles N.
of Wakefield. See Lofthouse with Carlton.
Carlton Castle, par., N. Lincolnshire, 5 miles SE.
of Louth, 500 ac., pop. 21.
Carlton ColvUle, par. and ry. sta., E. Suffolk, 2
miles SW. of Lowestoft, 2804 ac., pop. 1309; the vil.
is 14 mile SAY. of sta.; P.O.
Carlton cum Willingham, par., SE. Cambridge-
shire, on border of co., 74 miles S. of Newmarket, 2200
ac., pop. 337; P.O., called Carlton.
Carlton CurUew, par., vil., and seat, S. Leicester-
shire, 74 miles NW. of Market Harborough—par.,
2970 ac., pop. 380; vil., pop. 69.
Carlton, East.—par., S. Norfolk, 44 miles E. of
Wymondham, 1213 ac., pop. 284.—2. Carlton, East,
par., N. Northamptonshire, 7 miles NE. of Market
Harborough, 1598 ac., pop. 87; contains Carlton Park.
Carlton FeU, hill (475 ft.), Glassertonpar., SE. Wig-
townshire, on the coast, 34 miles SW. of Whithorn; on
its SW. skirt, overhanging the shore, is Laggan Camp.
Carlton, Great, par., N. Lincolnshire, 6 miles SE.
of Louth, 2190 ac., pop. 261; P.O.
Carlton-Highdale, township, Coverham par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 9 miles SW. of Middleham, 10,133
ac., pop. 247.
Carlton in Llndrlck, par., N. Notts, 4 miles N. of
Worksop, 3980 ac., pop. 1046; contains the hamlet of
Carlton Ironworks; P.O. See Carlton (Durham).
Carlton-le-Moorland, par., mid. Lincolnshire, be-
tween rivers Witham and Brant, 7 miles NE. of New-
ark, 2610 ac., pop. 310: p.o.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)