Carngaver, hill (720 ft.), near Newtownards, N. co.
Down; surmounted by a tower erected in memory of
Charles William, Marquis of Londonderry.
Carngiwcb, par., SW. Carnarvonshire, on river
Erch, 4 miles NE. of Nevin, 1344 ac., pop. 133.
Carnhell Green, hamlet, Gwinear par., AY. Corn-
wall, 2 miles AY. of Hayle.
Carnisle, school, Kildalkey par., co. Meath.
Carnkie, vil., Hlogan par., W. Cornwall, 14 mile
W. of Redruth.
Carn Liath, summit of Ben-y-Gloe, Blair-Athole
par., N. Perthshire, alt. 3193 ft.
Carn Llechart, Druidical circle, near Swansea, S.
Carnlough, fishing vil., 6 miles SE. of Cushendall
ry. sta., E. co. Antrim, pop. 634; P.O.,T.O. Market-day,
Thursday. It is situated amid fine scenery, and is fre-
quented for sea-bathing; near it are ruins of a castle.
Carn Madryn, hill, SW. Carnarvonshire, 7 miles
SW. of Pwllheli, alt. 1200 ft.
Carn Mairg, mountain, Fortingall par., NAV. Perth-
shire, 5 miles SE. of Kinloch Rannoch, alt. 3419 ft.
Carn Martli, hill, near Redruth, AY. Cornwall, alt.
757 ft.; associated with events in the ministry of Wesley.
Carnmenellis, eccl. dist. and vil., Wendronpar., AV.
Cornwall, pop. 2423. The vil. is on the river Kennal,
3 miles S. of Redruth. Carn Menelez, a hill in the
vicinity, is 822 ft. high.
Carn Mlnnis, hill, 3 miles SW. of St Ives, AV. Corn-
wall, alt. 805 ft.
Carnmoney, par. and vil., N. co. Antrim, 5 miles
N. of Belfast, 8977 ac., pop. 8037; P.O.
Carnmorc, hill, SE. co. Fermanagh, 1034 ft.
Carn-na-Caillicb, ancient tumulus, on SAV. coast of
Morvern par., NAV. Argyllshire.
Carno, par. and vil. with ry. sta., mid. Montgomery-
shire, on river Carno, 11 miles NW. of Newtown
10,982 ac., pop. 876; P.O. In the vicinity of the vil.
are Roman remains, and ruins of two castles.—2.
Carno, affl. of r. Severn, mid. Montgomerysh.; 9 m. long.
—3. Carno, hamlet, near Crickhowell, SE. Brecknocksh.
Carnoch, quoad sacra par., Contin, Fodderty, and
Urray pars., S. Ross-shire, 20 miles NAV. of Beauly,
pop. 296; comprises a secluded glen 14 miles long and
only 4 mile broad.
Carnock.—par. and vil., SW. Fifeshire, 34 miles
NW. of Dunfermline, 3492 ac., pop. 1055; P.O.; has
coal, sandstone, and ironstone. John Row, ecclesiastical
historian, was minister from 1592 to 1648; and John
Gillespie, founder of the Relief Synod, from 1741 to
1752. In vicinity of vil. is C. House.—2. Carnock,
rivulet, SW. Stirlingshire, flowing 6 miles NE. to the
Blane, 2 miles SAAr. of Killearn.—3. Carnock, seat, in
co. and 54 miles SE. of Stirling.—4. Carnock, school,
Carnon, vil. and stream, at Falmouth harbour, 2
m. S. of Penryn, Cornwall; the vil. has arsenic works.
Carnon, rivulet, Ardchattan par., Argyllshire; runs
34 miles SE. to the Etive.
Carnonsie, estate with ancient mansion, Forglen
par., Banffshire, on river Deveron, 4 m. W. of Turriff.
Carnoustie, coast town and quoad sacra par. with
ry. sta., Barry and Panbride pars., S. Forfarshire, 104
m. NE. of Dundee and 64 m. SW. of Arbroath—par.,
pop. 1999; town,pop. 2650; P.O.,T.O.,2Banks; has mfrs.
of linen, and is a rising watering-place, with golfing links.
Carno wen, 3 m. from Raphoe, E. co. Donegal; p.o.
Carnowry Gap, ravine with waterfall, near Down-
hill ry. sta., N. co. Londonderry.
Carnrosemary, vil., St Austell par., E. Cornwall, 44
miles NW. of St Austell ry. sta.; is locally known as
Bugle ; P.O., called Carnsmerry.
Carnsalloch, seat, on river Nith, in co. and 3 miles
N. of Dumfries.
Carnsore Point, prom., S. co. Wexford; the most
SE. point of Ireland.
Carntecl, par. and vil., S. co. Tyrone, 8 miles SW.
of Dungannon, 13,431 ac., pop. 4149; P.O.
Carntogber, hill, mid. co. Londonderry, 1521 ft.
Carn Trcinayne, hamlet, Crowan par., W. Corn-
wall, 2 miles SE. of Camborne ry. sta.
Carntync House, Shettleston par., Lanarkshire,
A mile E. of Parkhead ry. sta.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)