Castlejordan, par., NE. Kings co. and SW. co.
Meath, on river Boyne, 8 miles SW. of Moyvalley ry.
sta., 17,371 ac., pop. 1932.
Castlekeeran, or Loughan, par., cos. Cavan and
Meath, on river Blackwater, 6 miles NW. of Kells,
7772 ac., pop. 2085.
Castle Kelly.—seat, 3 miles NE. of Tuam, N. co.
Galway. — 2. Castle Kelly, seat, 1¼ mile NW. of
Ballygar, NE. co. Galway.
Castle Kennedy, hamlet with ry. sta., and ruined
castle, formerly the seat of the Earls of Cassilis, and
now the property of the Earl of Stair, 3 miles SE. of
Stranraer, W. Wigtownshire ; P.O., called C. Kennedy
Station. The ruined castle, 1 mile N. of ry. sta.,
stands on a peninsula surrounded by two lochs, the
White Loch and the Black Loch. With its extensive
pleasure grounds, including a pinetum, which occupies
20 ac., and is one of the finest collections of coniferous
trees in Europe, it is a favourite resort of tourists.
Castle Keroche, remains of Roman post, Buckland
St Mary par., W. Somerset.
Castlekevin, hamlet, Castlekeeran par., co. Meath.
Castle Kilchurn, ruined stronghold, first of the
Macgregors and then of the Campbells, Glenorchy par.,
Argyllshire, on island in Loch Awe, 2¼ miles SW.
Castle Klrke (Caislean-na-Clrce), ruins, on an islet
in NW. comer of Lough Corrib, NW. co. Galway, near
Castleknock.—bar., W. co. Dublin, 21,372 ac., pop.
9777.—2. Castleknock, par. and vil., in the above bar.,
on river Liffey, 5 miles NW. of Dublin—par., 7123 ac.,
pop. 3774; vil., pop. 157; P.O.
Castle Kynoc, ancient camp, in the S. vicinity of
Castle Lachlan, seat of the Maclachlans, Cowall
dist., Argyllshire, on E. side of Loch Fyne, 10 miles
SW. of Inveraray.
Castle Lambert, seat, 3 miles NW. of Athenry,
mid. co. Galway.
Castle Law.—hill, N. spur of the Lammermuirs, in
par. and 3 miles SW. of Gifford, Haddingtonshire, alt.
921 ft.; crowned with ancient circular camp.—2. Castle
Law, conical hill, in par. and 2 miles SE. of Forgan-
denny, SE. Perthshire, alt. 1026 ft. ; has vestiges of
Scandinavian fort.—3. Castle Law, summit of the
Pentlands, Glencorsepar., Edinburghshire, 3 miles NW.
of Penicuik, alt. 1595 ft.; has vestiges of ancient camp.
—4. Castle Law, hill, in par. and adjacent to Linton
vil., NW. Peeblesshire.—5. Castle Law, hill, Yetholm
par., NE. Roxburghshire, alt. 1873 ft.; has vestiges of
ancient Caledonian camp. — 6. Castle Law, seat, 3
miles NW. of Coldstream, SE. Berwickshire.
Castle Leavington, township, Kirk Leavingtonpar.,
North-Riding Yorkshire, on affluent of river Tees, 5
miles S. of Stockton, 1071 ac., pop. 44.
Castle Leod, seat of the Earls of Cromartie, Fodderty
par., SE. Ross-shire, 1 mile N. of Strathpeffer.
Castle Lloyd, seat, 4 miles SE. of Pallas ry. sta.,
E. co. Limerick.
Castle Loch, small loch, in par. and adjacent to
Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire. Its waters contain ten
kinds of fish, including the vendace. Near its shores
are the ruins of Lochmaben Castle, and the site of the
original castle of the Bruces, in which King Robert
Bruce was born, 1274.
Castlelost, par., S. co. Westmeath, 8 miles S. of
Mullingar, 9458 ac., pop. 1019.
Castle Lyon.—former name of Castle Huntly, Long-
forgan par., Perthshire.—2. Castle Lyon, quondam
tower, Borrowstounness par., Linlithgowshire.
Castlelyons, par. and vil., E. co. Cork, on river
Bride, 5 miles SE. of Fermoy—par., 12,718 ac., pop.
1370; vil., pop. 211; P.O.
Castlcmacadain, par., S. co. Wicklow, in vale of
Ovoca, 4 miles NW. of Arklow, 10,843 ac., pop. 2331.
Castle Madoc, seat and school, 1¼ mile SE. of Cray
ry. sta., Brecknockshire.
Castlemagarrett, seat of LordOranmore and Browne,
1¼ mile S. of Claremorris, S. co. Mayo.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)