is light and poor. (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix.) The co. comprises 8 bars.—Castlerahan,
Clankee, Clanmahon, Loughtee (Lower and Upper),
Tullygarvey, Tullyhaw, and Tullyhunco ; 36 pars.;
and the towns — Cavan, Cootehill, and Belturbet.
For parliamentary purposes it is divided into 2 divi-
sions, viz., West and East, 1 member for each division.
—2. Cavan, township and co. town of Cavan, 72
miles SW. of Belfast by rail, 497 ac., pop. 3060 ; 3
Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Monday and Tues-
day. The demesne of Lord Farnham is adjacent.
Cave Dale, secluded valley, in the vicinity of Castle-
ton, E. Derbyshire.
Cave Hill. See Cefn-yr-Ogo.
Cave Hill. See Belfast.
Cavchlll, school, Shankhill par., SE. co. Antrim.
Cave Hole, cavern, on S. coast of Dorset, near Port-
Cavendish, par. and ry. sta., W. Suffolk, on river
Stour, 74 m. NW. of Sudbury, 3354 ac., pop. 1149 ; P.O.
Carenham, par., W. Suffolk, on river Lark, 44 miles
SE. of Mildenhall, 2630 ac., pop. 186; P.O.; contains
Cavenham Hall and Cavenhani Heath.
Cave, North, par. and vil., East-Riding Yorkshire,
on river Fooner, 6f miles SE. of Market Weighton,
7268 ac., pop. 1230; P.O., 1 Bank.
Cavcns, seat, in par. and adjacent to Kirkbean, SE.
Cavers, par., S. Roxburghshire, 2 miles NE. of
Hawick, 18,254 ac., pop. 1318 ; contains Cavers
House, an old seat of the Douglases. John Leyden,
the scholar-poet (1775-1811), was a native.
Cavers Carre, seat, Bowden par., NAY. Roxburgh-
shire, near Ale AArater.
Caversfield, par., N. Oxfordshire, 1 mile N. of
Bicester, 1498 ac., pop. 140; contains C. House.
Caversham, par., S. Oxfordshire, 1 mile N. of
Reading, 4879 ac., pop. 3583; P.O., T.O.; contains the
seat of C. Park and the hamlet of Lower Caversham.
Caverswall, par., N. Staffordshire, 5 miles SE. of
Stoke-upon-Trent, 5262 ac., pop. 5109; P.O.; contains
Caverton Mill, hamlet with school, Eckford par.,
NE. Roxburghshire, on Kale Water, 2 miles NAV". of
Cave, South, par. and township, East-Riding York-
shire, 10 miles NW. of Hull—par., 7625 ac., pop. 1452;
township, 4337 ac., pop. 960 ; contains Cave Castle.
Cavil, hamlet, Eastringtonpar.,East-Riding Yorksh.,
2 miles NE. of Howden. See Portington and Cavil.
Cawden and Cadworth, hundred, S. Wilts, 23,034
ac., pop. 4419 ; contains 14 pars.
Cawdor, par. and vil.—par., partly in Inverness-
shire but chiefly in Nairnshire, 29,366 ac., pop. 1070;
vil., in co. and 54 miles SAY. of Nairn ; P.O. Adjacent
is Cawdor Castle (1454), seat of the Earl of Cawdor,
a fine specimen of the true baronial castle of feudal
times. The legend that King Duncan was murdered
here is wholly without historical foundation.
Cawdry, hamlet, Leek par., N. Staffordshire.
Caw House, in co. and near Londonderry.
Cawkwell, par., mid. Lincolnshire, 7 miles N. of
Horncastle, 540 ac., pop. 45.
Cawledge Park, and E. and W. Cawledge Park, 3
adjacent hamlets, on Cawledge Burn, 2 miles S. of
Alnwick, N. Northumberland.
Cawood.—par. and vil., E. div. West-Riding York-
shire, on river Ouse, 44 miles NW. of Selby, 2891 ac.
(59 water), pop. 1108; P.O., T.O., IBank.—2. Cawood,
hamlet, Mellingpar., N. Lancashire, 10 miles NE. of
Lancaster. See Askholmk with Cawood.
Cawpla, or Caplaw, hill, in par. and 2£ miles NW.
of Neilston, Renfrewshire, alt. 652 ft.
Cawsand, vil. with coastguard station, E. Cornwall,
on AV. side of Plymouth Sound, 4 miles SW. of Ply-
mouth ; P.O.; stands on Cawsand Bay, which has
anchorage for the largest ships.
Cawsand Beacon, mountain peak, S. Devon, 34
miles SE. of Oakhampton, alt. 1792 ft.
Cawston.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., N. Norfolk, 4
miles SW. of Aylsham, 42% ac., pop. 1096; P.O.—2.
Cawston, hamlet, Dunchurch par., N. Warwickshire,
2 miles SAV. of Rugby.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)