Chcllington, par., NW. Bedfordshire, on river Ouse,
1 mile SE. of Harrold, 610 ac., pop. 97.
Chellow, vil., in par. and 2 miles NW. of Bradford,
N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire. In vicinity is CMlow
Dean, reservoir for Bradford water supply.
Chcllynch, hamlet, Doulting par., mid. Somerset,
7 miles E. of Wells.
Chelmarsh, par., S. Shropshire, on river Severn,
5 miles SE. of Bridgnorth, 3259 ac., pop. 478 ; P.O.
Cltelmer, affluent of river Blackwater, AV. Essex;
rises 3 miles N. of Thaxted, and flows SE. past Dunmow
and Chelmsford to the Blackwater at Maldon; is 29
miles long, and is navigable to Chelmsford.
Chelmerton, township, Bakewell par., N. Derby-
shire, 5 miles SE. of Buxton, 2028 ac., pop. 232.
Chelmick, place, Hope-Bowdler par., S. Shropshire,
2 miles SE. of Church Stretton.
Chelmondiston, par., E. Suffolk, on estuary of
river Orwell, 6 miles SE. of Ipswich, 1287 ac. land and
340 water, pop. 861; P.O.
Chelmsford (or Mid) Division, pari. div. of Essex,
Chelmsford.—hundred, Essex, 85,536ac., pop.32,508.
—2. Chelmsford, co. town of Essex, market town, and
par., 3 miles NE. of London by rail—par. and town,
2858 ac. (21 water), pop. 9885; P.O., T.o., 2 Banks, 5
newspapers. Market-day, Friday; is situated in the
valley of the Chelmer, near its junction with the Cann,
and has communication by the river with Maldon and
the sea 11 m. E. C. has considerable trade in agricul-
tural produce; also corn-mills, tanneries, and a brewery.
It possesses a grammar-school founded by Edward VI.
Chelsea, pari. bor. and par. with ry. sta., on river
Thames, Middlesex, 796 ac., pop. 88,128; was for-
merly a vil. 2 miles W. of London, hut now forms part
of the metropolis. In the 16th century C. was the re-
sidence of Queen Catherine Parr, Sir Thomas More, the
Princess Elizabeth, Sir Hans Sloane, and many of the
nobility. In the 18th century it was a favourite resort
of pleasure-seekers from the capital, the principal at-
tractions being Ranelagh and Cremorne Cardens. C.,
however, is chiefly famous for its hospital for invalid
soldiers, built by Sir Christopher Wren (1682-1690) on
the site of King Jamess College. It has also a Royal
Military Asylum, for the education of children con-
nected with the army. Chelsea returns 1 member to
Parliament; it returned 2 members till 1885, when its
parliamentary limits were reduced by the formation of
the new parliamentary boroughs of Fulham, Hammer-
smith, and Kensington.
Chelslieltl, par. and ry. sta., W. Kent, 64 miles SE.
of Bromley, 3378 ac., pop. 947; P.O.
Chelskam, par., E. Surrey, on border of co., 6 miles
SE. of Croydon, 3357 ac., pop. 448.
Chclsing, place, Thundridge par., Herts, 3 miles
NW. of Ware.
Chelson Meadow, township, Plymstock par., S.
Devon, 4£ miles NE. of Plymouth, 177 ac. and 72 tidal
water and foreshore, pop. 5.
Ckelston, hamlet, Cockington par., E. Devon.
Clielstone, hamlet, West Buckland par., W. Somer-
set, 4 miles SW. of Taunton.
Clielsworth, par., W. Suffolk, 5 m. NW. of Had-
leigh, 861 ac., pop. 245; contains C. Hall and C. Park.
Cbelt, affluent of river Severn, E. Gloucestershire;
rises on the Cotswold Hills, and flows 10 miles NW.
past Cheltenham to the Severn 5 m. N. of Gloucester.
Cheltenham. — hundred, E. Gloucestershire, 5791
ac., pop. 7652. — 2. Cheltenham, watering-place,
pari, and mun. bor., and par., E. Gloucestershire,
7 miles NE. of Gloucester and 114 miles NW. of
London—par. and mun. bor., 4203 ac., pop. 43,972;
pari, borough, pop. 50,842 ; 4 Banks, 7 newspapers.
Market-days, Thursday and Saturday; is finely situ-
ated in a valley watered by the river Chelt, and shel-
tered on the E. and NE. by the Cotswold Hills. C. is a
fashionable and educational resort, and is one of the
healthiest, cleanest, and cheapest places in the kingdom.
It owes its prosperity to its mineral springs, which were
accidentally discovered in 1716. They are four in number,
and are all saline, with the exception of one, which is
chalybeate. Inl788 George III. derived much benefit from
their use, and C. immediately came into favour. It is now
a town of handsome squares, crescents, and terraces,
while its promenades and pump-rooms are reckoned
among the finest in England. Among the educational
institutions of 0. are a foundation grammar-school,
established 1574; a proprietary college, opened 1842; a
ladies college; and a training college for male and
female teachers. The bor. returns 1 member to Parlia-
ment ; its pari, limits were extended in 1885, to include
part of Charlton Kings par.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)