Coin,—river, Herts, Middlesex, and Bucks; rises in
the vicinity of Hatfield, Herts, and flows 35 miles SW.
along border of Middlesex and Bucks to the Thames at
Staines. — 2. Coin; river, E. Gloucestershire; rises
among the Cotswold Hills, 5 miles E. of Cheltenham,
and flows 20 miles SE. to the Thames at Lechlade.
Coln-Rogers, par., E. Gloucestershire, on river
Colne, 7 miles NE. of Cirencester, 1508 ac., pop. 107.
Coin St Aldwlns, par., E. Gloucestershire, onriver
Colne, 7 m. SE. of Northleach, 2666 ac., pop. 443; P.O.
Coin St Denis, par., E. Gloucestershire, on river
Colne, 8 miles NE. of Cirencester, 2430 ac., pop. 192.
Co I nbridge, hamlet, 3 miles SAY. of Huddersfield,
S. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire.
Colnbrook, vil. with ry. sta., Horton par., S. Bucks,
2 miles NE. of AYraysbury sta. and 19 miles W. of
London, pop. 1312; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Colne.—river, E. Essex; rises on N. border of co.,
3 miles S. of Haverhill, and flows SE. to North Sea at
Mersea Island; 35 miles long, and navigable to Col-
chester.—2. Colne, ry. sta., E. Essex, 4 miles SE. of
Halstead ; Colne Viaduct, 1066 ft. long, on 32 arches,
70 ft. high, is near Pontisbright.—3. Colne, par., E.
Huntingdonshire, 44 miles NE. of St Ives, 2011 ac., pop.
328 ; P.O.—4. Colne, market town and township with
ry. sta., Whalley par., NE. Lancashire, on affluent of
the Calder, near the Liverpool and Leeds Canal, 26
miles N. of Manchester and 204 NW. of London, 4635
ac., pop. 10,313: P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper.
Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday; is a place of
great antiquity, and as early as the 14th cent, was a seat
of the woollen mfr.; its principal mfrs. now, however,
are mousselines-de-laine and printed calicoes. In the
neighbourhood are quarries of limestone and slate.
—5. Colne, river, S. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire ; rises
on a moss 3 miles E. of Saddle worth, and flows 14 miles
NE. past Huddersfield to the Calder at Cooper Bridge.
Colne, Earls, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Colne), E. Essex,
3 miles SE. of Halstead, 2978 ac., pop. 1594; P.O., T.O.
Colne-Engaine, par. and vil., E. Essex, on river
Colne, 1 mile NW. of Colne ry. sta., pop. 520 ; P.O.
Colne Valley Division, pari, div., S. div. AYest-Rid-
ing Yorkshire, pop. 55,820; contains Saddleworth.
Colne-Wakes, par. (ry. sta. Colne), E. Essex, on river
Colne, 5 miles SE. of Halstead, 1935 ac., pop. 499.
Colne While, par., E. Essex, on river Colne, 4 mile
E. of Colne ry. sta., 1466 ac., pop. 374.
Colneis, hundred, E. Suffolk, 18,130 ac., pop. 5279.
Colney.—eccl. dist. (St Peter), Ridge, Shenley, and
St Peter pars., Herts, pop. 916.—2. Colney, par,, S.
Norfolk, on river Yare, 3 miles AY. of Norwich, 948 ac.,
pop. 95; P.O.; contains Colney Hall.
Colney Hatch, hamlet with ry. sta., Fryern Barnet
par., N. Middlesex, 24 miles SE. of Chipping Barnet;
Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum is here.
Colney Heath, eccl. dist. (St Mark), Ridge and St
Peter pars., Herts, pop. 928.
Colney Street, hamlet, on river Colne, Herts, 3 miles
S. of St Albans; P.O.
Colomane, 6 miles from Bantry, SW. co. Cork; P.O.
Coloinendy Hall, 4 miles NE. of Llanarmon,
Colonels Bed, gorge and cavern, SW. Aberdeenshire,
on Ey Water, 6 miles SAY. of Castleton of Braemar; is
said to have afforded shelter to one of the Farquharsons
of Inverey, pursued by the Gordons of Abergeldie.
Colonsay and Oronsay, 2 islands, Argyllshire, form-
ing the par. of Colonsay and Oronsay, 11,076 ac., pop.
397; pop. of Colonsay, 387; pop. of Oronsay, 10.
Colonsay, 8 miles long and from If to 3 miles broad,
has a harbour at Schallasaig, 16 miles NW. of Port
Askaig, Islay; P.O. An extensive bone cave has been
discovered in C. In the N. part of the island is C.
House (1722), seat of theM‘Neills of Colonsay. Oron-
say, separated from C. by a sound only 100 yards wide,
and dry at low water, measures 3 miles by 2 miles. It
contains the remains of the Austin Priory—fine ruins,
second in interest only to those of Iona.
Colonsay, Little, island, Argyllshire, off AY. coast
of Mull, between Ulva and Staffa.
Colp, par., E. co. Meath, at mouth of river Boyne,
3 miles E. of Drogheda, 5417 ac., pop. 1421.
Colpieden, hamlet, 2 miles from Kettle, Fifeshire.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)