Cornbury Park, par. and seat, N. Oxfordshire, 1
mile SAY. of Charlbury, 632 ac. (15 water), pop. 44.
Corndcan, hamlet, in par. and 1 mile SAY. of AVinch-
comb, E. Gloucestershire.
Corndon Mount, eminence with ancient circles and
upright stones, Shropshire, 5 m. N. of Bishops Castle.
Cornclay, hamlet, 6 m. NAY. of Bridgend, Glamorgan.
Cornelian Bay, on coast of North-Riding Yorkshire,
2 miles SE. of Scarborough. !
Cornelly, par., AY. Cornwall, 1 mile AY. of Tregony,
1368 ac., pop. 93.
Corner Hall, seat, 1 m. E. of Boxmoor sta., Herts.
Corney, par., AY. Cumberland, 4 miles SE. of Raven-
glass, 4440 ac., pop. 210.
Cornforth, township, Bishops Middleham par., N.
Durham, 1 m. E. of Ferryhill junc., 1758 ac., pop. 2553.
Corngreaves, school, AY. Stafford. See Congreve.
Cornhill, par., vil., and seat, N. Northumberland,
near the Border, 2 miles E. of Coldstream, 4944 ac.,
pop. 688 ; P.O.; is a good centre for anglers.
Cornhill.—vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 8J miles
SAY. of Banff ; P.O.—2. Cornhill, seat, Culter par., E.
Lanarkshire, 24 miles SAY. of Biggar.
Cornholmc, hamlet with ry. sta., 2 miles NAY. of
Todmorden, AYest-Riding Yorkshire ; P.O.
Cornllo, hundred, St Augustine lathe, E. Kent,
10,512 ac., pop. 2670; contains 10 pars.
Cornish HaU, seat, 2 miles SAY. of Holt, Denbigh.
Cornish Hall End, eccl. dist., Finchingfield, Ridg-
well, and Birdbrook pars., AY. Essex, pop. 608; con-
tains the hamlet of Cornish End, 6 m. NE. of Thaxted.
Cornorlon, hamlet, Pennant par., E. Montgomery-
shire, 9 miles NAY. of Llanfyllin.
Cornoyron, hamlet, Llanfynydd par., mid. Carmar-
thenshire, 54 miles NAY. of Llandilofawr.
Cornpark, hamlet, Romald Kirk par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 3 miles NAY, of Barnard Castle.
Cornrigg, 4 miles from St Johns AYeardale, S.
Cornsay, township, Lanchester par., S. Durham, 6| '
miles NE. of AYolsingham, 3038 ac., pop. 2327; P.O.,
called Cornsay Colliery.
Cornwall.—maritime co. of England, forming its
SAV. extremity; is bounded by Devon on the E., and
washed on all the other sides by the sea; length, NE.
and SAV., 75 miles; average breadth, 22 miles; coast-
line, about 200 miles; area, 863,665 ac., pop. 330,686.
The S. coast is much and deeply indented, and has
some good harbours. The principal openings from AY.
to E. are Mounts Bay, Falmouth Bay and Harbour, St
Austell Bay, Fowey Harbour, AVhitsand Bay, and Ply-
mouth Sound. Falmouth is one of the finest harbours
in Britain. The indentations on the N. consist of
shallow bays with few or no harbours. The chief pro-
montories are Lands End, where the granite cliffs are
about 60 ft. high ; and the Lizard, the most S. point of
England. The Scilly Isles lie off Lands End, 25 miles
to the SAY. The Devonian range extends NE. and SAY.,
rising in Brown AVilly to an alt. of 1368 ft. The streams
are numerous, hut small. The principal are the Tamar
(which forms the boundary with Devon), Lyhner,
Fowey, and Camel. There is much barren moorland,
but the soil in the valleys is fertile. (For agricultural
statistics, see Appendix.) The prevailing rock is gra-
nite, of a grey or bluish-grey colour, which often rises
above the surface in huge, rugged masses ; clay slate
also abounds. The tin and copper mines of Cornwall
have been celebrated from remote ages, having been
known, it is supposed, to the Phoenicians. Some of
them are of very great depth, and have been carried
beneath the sea. Silver, lead, zinc, arsenic, antimony,
and bismuth are also found in considerable quantities.
The fisheries, especially of pilchard and mackerel, are
extensive and valuable. The co. comprises 9 hundreds,
the Scilly Islands, 219 pars., the pari. bor. of Penryn
and Falmouth (1 member), and the mun. bors. of
Bodmin, Falmouth, Helston, Launceston, Liskeard,
Penryn, Penzance, St Ives, and Truro. It is entirely
in the diocese of Truro. For pari, purposes it is
divided into 6 divisions, viz., AVestern or St Ives,
North-AVestern or Camborne, Truro, Mid or St
Austell, South-Eastern or Bodmin, and North-Eastern
or Launceston, 1 member for each division.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)