Devon, river, Perth, Kinross, Clackmannan, and
Stirling ; rises among the Ochil Hills and falls into the
Forth at Cambus, 24 miles NW. of Alloa; is 334 miles
long, but only 5£ miles in a straight line from its source,
and is a capital trouting stream ; in the reach below the
Crook of Devon it makes the famous falls of Devils
Mill, Rumbling Bridge, and Caldron Linn.
Devon, Black, or South, r., Fife and Clackmannan,
flows 15 m. SW. andfalls into the Forth ljm. SE. of Alloa.
Devon Ironworks, 24 miles NE. of Alloa, Clack-
mannanshire, near the Devon; is an extensive estab-
lishment, including 3 furnaces and a large foundry.
Devon Bond, ry. sta., 4 miles E. of Abbeyfeale, W.
Devonport, pari, and mun. bor., seaport, and market
town, S. Devon, 231 miles SW. of London by rail—pari,
bor., 1950 ac., pop. 63,980; mun. bor., 1760 ac., pop.
48,939; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Tuesday,
Thursday, and Saturday; stands on the Hamoaze, or
estuary of the Tamar, contiguous to Plymouth, of which
it is a sub-port, being one of the three towns, Ply-
mouth, Stonehouse, and Devonport. Until 1824 it was
called Plymouth Dock. D. is the seat of one of the royal
dockyards, and an important naval and military station.
It is defended by a line of ramparts, and the sea entrance
is protected by heavy batteries on Mount Wise. The
royal dockyard, within the ramparts, covers 75 ac.;
the Keyham steam dockyard, beyond the ramparts,
covers 100 ac. In connection with the dockyards and
fortifications are the gun wharf, the naval and mili-
tary barracks, and extensive storehouses, factories, and
foundries. The bor. returns 2 members to Parliament.
Dcvonsliaw, hill, Wandell and Lamington par.,
Lanarkshire, alt. 1275 ft.
Devonshire Cavern, cave on Masson, Matlock Bath,
Dcvonside, vil., Tillicoultry par., Clackmannanshire,
pop. 479; has a brick and tile work and a coal mine.
Devoran, small seaport town, St Feock par., W.
Cornwall, on Restronguet Creek, 5 miles SW. of Truro,
pop. 1296 ; P.O., T.O.
Devynnock.—hundred, W. Brecknockshire, 113,357
ac., pop. 9900; contains 5 pars, and parts of 2 others.—
2. Devynnock, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and
7 miles W. of Brecknock, 28,883 ac., pop. 1782.
Devyock.—hamlet, 3 miles NE. of Bodmin, E. Corn-
wall.—2. Devyock, school, 3 miles SW. of St Germans,
Dewar, hamlet, on Dewar Burn, 5 m. W. of Foun-
tainhall sta., Edinburghshire; 4 m. SE. is Dewar Hill,
crowned with a remarkable stone called Lots Wife.
Dewar Town, vil., 3m. NE. of Gorebridge, Edinburgh.
Dcwcliurcli, Little, par., in co. and 54 miles SE. of
Hereford, 1652 ac., pop. 328.
Dewcltnrcli, Muck, par., in co. and 6 miles SW.
of Hereford, 4878 ac., pop. 564.
Dewerstone, picturesque cliff, in Cad Valley, Dart-
moor, S. Devon.
Dewlisli, par. and liberty, Dorset, 8 miles NE. of
Dorchester—par., 2090 ac., pop. 457; liberty, pop. 480;
p.o.; contains the seat of Dewlish Hall.
Dews, loch, Fetteresso par., Kincardineshire.
Dewsall, par., in co. and 44 miles SW. of Hereford,
676 ac., pop. 45.
Dewsbury, pari, and mun. bor., market town, par.
and township, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river
Calder, 9 miles S. of Leeds and 182 miles N. of London
by rail—par., 10,102 ac., pop. 54,012 ; pari, bor., 4759
ac., pop. 69,566; mun. bor. and township, 1468 ac., pop.
29,637; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-days, Wed-
nesday and Saturday. D. has water communication
with Liverpool and Hull by means of the river Calder,
and has stations on the London and North-Western, the
Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the Great Northern Rail-
ways. The trade of the town is chiefly connected with
the mfr. of blankets, flannels, carpets, druggets, baizes,
and other heavy textile goods. Coal is worked in the
neighbourhood. D. was a place of importance early in
the 7th century. It was made a mun. bor. in 1862, and
a pari. bor. in 1867. The bor. returns 1 member to
Dewsbury Moor, eccl. dist. and estate, Dewsbury
par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, pop. 7325.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)