Dos-nford, hamlet, Chesterton par., Huntingdon-
shire, 54 miles SW. of Peterborough.
Dornie, fishing vil., with inn and ferry, Ross-shire,
at head of Loch Alsh, 7 miles S. of Strome Ferry; P.O.
Dornoch, cap. of co., pari, and royal burgh, seaport,
and par., SE. Sutherlandshire, on Dornoch Firth, 8f m.
NE. of Tain by Meikle Ferry, 144 of Bonar Bridge
ry. sta., and 804 NE. of Inverness—par., 30,189 ac.,
pop. 2525; pari, and royal burgh, pop. 497 ; P.O., T.O.,
1 Bank; was formerly the residence of the bishops of
Sutherland and Caithness. The cathedral (built, 1222-45;
rebuilt, 1835-37) is now used as the parish church. D.
has a splendid beach for bathing, and an excellent golf-
ing ground; it attracts many summer visitors. The
burgh unites with AVick, Cromarty, Dingwall, Kirk-
wall, and Tain in returning 1 member to Parliament.
Dornoch Firth, inlet of the North Sea, between
Ross and Sutherland; it is 22£ m. long, and 11 wide at
entrance (from Tarbat Ness to Brora); it offers some
good harbourage, but the navigation is impeded by
sandbanks and shoals ; its waters abound in cod,
Dornock, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Dumfries, on
Solway Firth, 3 m. E. of Annan, 4626 ac., pop. 814 ; P.O.
Dorrery, isolated part of Thurso par., Caithness-
shire ; 14 mile SW. of Scotscalder sta. is D. Lodge.
Dorrha, par., N. co. Tipperary, on river Shannon,
4 miles W. of Parsonstown, 15,750 ac., pop. 1392.
Dor rings ton, hamlet, Barham par., E. Kent, 64
miles SE. of Canterbury.
Dorrington, par., S. Lincolnshire, 5 miles N. of
Sleaford, 680 ac., pop. 398; P.O.—2. Dorrington,
eccl. dist. and vil. with ry. sta., Condover par., S.
Shropshire—dist., pop. 339 ; vil., 64 miles S. of Shrews-
bury by rail; P.O., T.O.—3. Dorrington, hamlet,
Mucclestone par., N. Shropshire, 64 miles NE. of
Dorset, maritime co., on S. coast of England; is
bounded N. by Somerset and Wilts, E. by Hants, S. by
the English Channel, and W. by Devon; length, E.
and W., 52 miles; breadth, N. and S., 37 miles; coast-
line, 75 miles; area, 627,265 ac.; pop. 191,028. The
main features of the coast are Poole Harbour, St Albans
Head, and the singular projection called the Isle of
Portland. The principal streams are the Stour and the
Frome. Great part of the co. is traversed by the two
ranges of chalk hills called the North and South Downs,
and the soil consists mainly of chalk, gravel, and sand,
but is very fertile in the valleys. Wheat and barley
are grown in the W. and N. Immense flocks of sheep
are pastured on the Downs. Dairy farms are generally
large, and dairy husbandry is carried to a very high
point of perfection. (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix.) The only mineral of any importance is
Portland stone, quarried in the Isle of Portland. There
are mfrs., to some extent, of sailcloth, sacking, nets,
paper, silk, &c., with malting and brewing, and iron-
founding. The fisheries, especially of mackerel, are
considerable, and ships and yachts are built at Poole.
The co. comprises 34 hundreds, 22 liberties, 290 pars,
and a part, and the mun. bors. of Blandford, Bridport,
Dorchester, Lyme Regis, Poole, Shaftesbury, and Wey-
mouth and Melcombe Regis. It is mostly in the
diocese of Salisbury. For pari, purposes it is divided
into 4 divisions, viz., Northern, Eastern, Southern, and
Western, 1 member for each division.
Dorsington, par. and hamlet, E. Gloucestershire, 5
miles SW. of Stratford-on-Avon, 910 ac., pop. 94.
Dorstone, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Herefordshire,
54 miles E. of Hay, 5385 ac., pop. 445 ; p.o.
Horsy, rivulet, 4 m.N. of Crossmaglen, S. co. Armagh.
Dorton, par., Bucks, 54 miles NW. of Thame, 1477
ac., pop. 111.
Dorusduan, shooting-lodge, in SW. of Ross-shire;
Dorusmorc (the Great Door), strait, Argyllshire,
between Craignish Point and Garbhreisa; is swept by
a rapid tidal current.
Dosk, ancient par., Kincardineshire, on W. border of
co.; now forms portion of Edzell par.
Dostliill, vil., 3 miles S. of Tamworth, N. AYarwick-
shire ; 1 mile NE. is Dostiiill House.
Dotlian, hamlet, 34 m. NAY. of Kirkcaldy, Fifeshke.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)