Dothie Cnmddwr'and Dothie Iiscott wr, 2 town-
ships, Llanddewi-Brefi par., Cardiganshire, 4 miles SW.
of Tregaron — Dothie Camddwr, 74G7 ac., pop. 105;
Dothie Piscottwr, 7769 ac., pop. 94.
Dottery, hamlet, Loders par., Dorset, 4 miles SW.
Dotton, par., E. Devon, 6| miles E. of Topsham,
214 ac., pop. 9.
Doublebois, hamlet with ry. sta., 4| miles NW. of
Liskeard, E. Cornwall.
Double-Dykes, remains of ancient fortification,
Stonehouse par., Lanarkshire.
Douce, mountain, N. co. Wicklow, 2384 ft. high.
Douct de la Mer, ravine, Jersey, Channel Islands,
near Bozel Bay.
Dougalston, seat, 1 mile SE. of Milngavie, SW.
Stirlingshire; a little S. is Dougalston Loch.
Doughcloyne, seat, in co. and 2 miles S. of Cork.
Dougliton.—hamlet, in par. and 2 miles SW. of
Tetbury, E. Gloucestershire.—2. Doughton, par., W.
Norfolk. See Dunton cum Doughton.
Douglas.—capital of the Isle of Man, seaport, and
market town, Conchan and Braddan pars., SE. coast
of island, on Douglas Bay, at the confluence of the
Dhoo and the Glas (whence the name), 11 miles NE. of
Castletown and 80 miles NW. of the port of Liverpool,
pop. 15,719; P.O., T.o., 3 Banks, 5 newspapers. Market-
day, Saturday. Douglas has superseded Castletown
as the seat of the Government. It is a favourite
watering-place. Immense numbers of visitors flock to
it every summer, attracted by the salubrity of its air
and the beauty of its scenery. There is regular steam
communication with Liverpool, Fleetwood, Barrow,
Glasgow, Dublin, &c. The harbour is dry at low water,
but a deep-water landing-pier was erected in 1872; and
a spacious promenade, running 2 miles along the bay,
was opened in 1876. The fisheries and the coasting
trade constitute the chief industries. — 2. Douglas,
river, N. Lancashire; rises near Wigan, and flows NW.
to the estuary of the Ribble; is 15 miles long, and is
navigable to Sollom.—3. Douglas, eccl. dist., Eccleston
par., SW. Lancashire, pop. 1327.
Douglas, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire—
par., 34,137 ac., pop. 2641; vil., on Douglas Water, 3£
miles SW. of the sta., 10| miles SW. of Lanark, and
394 miles SW. of Edinburgh, pop. 1262; P.O., T.O., 2
Banks. Coal is mined, and limestone and sandstone
are quarried. D. was formerly a place of importance,
and a seat of considerable trade, but it has now fallen
into decadence. Of the kirk of St Bride of Douglas
(13th century), only a spire and the choir remain ; the
latter till 1761 was the burial-place of the Douglas
family. About £ mile NE. of the vil. is Douglas
Castle, seat of the Earl of Home; adjacent are the re-
mains of the ancient castle, the seat of the old earls of
Douglas—Scotts Castle Dangerous. Douglas gives
the title of marquis to the Duke of Hamilton, and that
of baron to the Earl of Home.
Douglas.—vil., in co. and 2 miles SE. of Cork, on
Douglas rivulet, pop. 527; P.O.—2. Douglas, rivulet,
N. co. Tyrone; flows 7 miles SW. to the Mourne.
Douglas Bay, E. coast Isle of Man; is 2 miles wide;
on Douglas Head, at S. end of bay, is a lighthouse,
with fixed light (Douglas Bay), 104 ft. above sea-level,
and seen 14 miles; there are also fixed lights on the
S. breakwater and the Inner, Victoria, and Iron Pro-
menade piers, seen 6, 6, 3, and 2 miles.
Douglas Burn, rivulet, Selkirkshire; rises near the
Peeblesshire border, and flows 6 miles SE. to Yarrow
AVater 14 mile from St Marys Loch.
Douglas Hill, 2 m. from Bethesda, Carnarvon; P.O.
Houglas Hill, in par. and 2 miles NE. of Douglas,
Lanark; was a well-known inn in the old coaching days.
Douglas Park, seat, in par. and 2 miles E. of Both-
Douglas Water.— stream, Argyllshire; flows 6£
miles E. to Loch Fyne 2£ miles SW. of Inveraray.—2.
Douglas Water, stream, Dumbartonshire; flows 4£
miles SE. to Loch Lomond at Inveruglass, opposite
Rowardennan.—3. Douglas Water, river, S. Lanark-
shire ; rises on Cairntable, and flows NE. to the Clyde
24 miles SE. of Lanark; is 20 miles long, and is a good
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)