Downcnd.—hamlet, Chieveley par., Berks. — 2.
Downcnd, hamlet, Horsley par., E. Gloucestershire,
3 miles SW. of Minchinhampton.—3. Downcnd, eccl.
dist. and vil., Mangotsfield par., W. Gloucestershire,
pop. 4597; vil., 5 miles NE. of Bristol; P.O., called
Downes House, seat, 1 m. E. of Crediton, N. Devon.
Hownfield, vil., 2 miles NW. of Dundee, Forfar-
shire, pop. 349; P.O.
Downgate, 3 miles NE. of Calliugton ry. sta., E.
DownhaH, eminence, near Wigton, E. Cumberland.
Downham.—par. and vil., Cambridgeshire, 24 miles
NW. of Ely, 9789 ac., pop. 1965; P.O.—2. Downham,
par., S. Essex, 4 miles E. of Billericay, 2229 ac., pop.
247.—3. Downham, township, Whalley par., NE. Lan-
cashire, on river Ribble, 3 miles NE. of Clitheroe, 2300
ac., pop. 272; P.O.; contains D. Hall.—4. Downham,
hamlet, Car ham par., N. Northumberland.
Downham Hall, seat of Lord Cadogan, 2 miles E. of
Brandon ry. sta., AY. Suffolk.
Downham Market, market town and par. with ry.
sta. (Downham), W. Norfolk, on river Ouse, 11 miles
SW. of Kings Lynn and 854 miles NE. of London—
par., 2490 ac., pop. 3256; town, pop. 2633; P.O., T.O.,
called Downham; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-
day, Friday ; has important trade in agricultural pro-
duce, especially butter. At Downham Market in early
times was a Benedictine priory.
Downliamford, hundred, St Augustine lathe, E.
Kent, 10,263 ac., pop. 2767; contains 7 pars.
Downhead.—par., mid. Somerset, 5 miles NE. of
Shepton Mallet, 1525 ac., pop. 178.—2. Downhead,
hamlet, 3 miles NE. of Ilchester, Somerset.
DownhlU, ry. sta. and seat, 6 miles NW. of Coleraine,
near N. coast of Londonderry; P.O.
Downhollaud, township, Halsall par., SW. Lan-
cashire, 34 miles SW. of Ormskirk, 3473 ac., pop. 748.
Downholme, par. and township, North-Riding
Yorkshire, 4 miles SW. of Richmond—par., 6708 ac.,
pop. 227 ; township, 1506 ac., pop. 112 ; P.O.
Downie Hills, hill-ridge, Monikie par., Forfarshire.
Downle Park, seat, property of the Earl of Airlie,
Tannadice par., Forfar, 1 mile SE. of Cortachy Castle.
Downies, fishing hamlet with small harbour, 1 mile
SE. of Portlethen ry. sta., NE. Kincardineshire.
Downing, seat, 3 miles NW. of Holywell, Flintshire.
Downlngs, par. and seat, N. co. Kildare, 3 miles
NW. of Sallins ry. sta., 4730 ac., pop. 641.
Downley, hamlet, 2 miles NW. of Wycombe, Bucks.
Downpatrick, cap. of co., mkt. town, and seaport
with ry. sta., in co. and par. of Down, on river Quoile,
near its entrance to Lough Strangford, 27 miles SE.
of Belfast and 140 miles NNE. of Dublin by rail,
beautifully situated in a valley, 278 ac., pop. 3419;
P.O., T.O,, 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Satur-
day. D. is an ancient town, and is celebrated as the
burial-place of Saint Patrick. It is the seat of the dio-
cese of Down, which was united with Connor in 1441,
and Dromore in 1842. The cathedral, though built of
unhewn stone, is a stately edifice. The mfr. of sewed
muslin gives employment to a number of the inhabitants
of the town and district. The port is at Quoile Bay, 1 m.
distant, and is reached by vessels of 100 tons; larger
vessels discharge at the steamboat quay, which is nearer
Lough Strangford. D. returned 1 member until 1885.
Downpatrick Head, prom., N. co. Mayo, 126 ft.high.
Downs, vil., 5 miles S. of Bray, N. co. Wicklow;
situated in the picturesque Glen of the Downs.
Downs, North and South, 2 parallel ranges of low
chalk hills, extending E. from middle of Hants across
Surrey, Kent, and Sussex to sea coast; the N. Downs
terminate at Dover in Kent, and the S. Downs at
Beachy Head in Sussex; they have a mean breadth of
7 miles, and alt. of 500 ft., and enclose the valley
called The Weald.
Downs, The, celebrated roadstead, between the E.
coast of Kent, at Deal, and the Goodwin Sands.
Downshay, vil., 1 mile SE. of Corfe Castle, Dorset.
Downshlre House, ruined seat of the Marquis of
Downshire, in vicinity of Blessington, NW. co. Wicklow.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)