Drayton Bassett, par., E. Staffordshire, 24 miles
SW. of Tamworth, 3315 ac., pop. 442; P.O.; contains
D. Manor, seat of the Peel family, and D. Honse, seat
of the Vernons ; in the church is a monument to the
memory of Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850), the statesman.
Drayton Beauchamp, par., Bucks, 2 miles NAV. of
Tring, 1888 ac., pop. 194; contains Drayton Lodge.
Drayton Grange, seat, 1 mile NW. of Daventry, S.
Drayton Green, hamlet, Ealing par., Middlesex, 2
miles N. of Brentford. .
Drayton House, seat, of time of Henry VI., 2 miles
NW. of Thrapston, N. Northamptonshire.
Drayton Manor (Stafford). See Drayton Bassett.
Drayton Parslow, par., N. Bucks, 5 miles NE. of
Winslow, 1750 ac., pop. 473; P.O.
Drayton in Hales, par. (ry. sta. Market Drayton),
in cos. of Salop and Stafford, 14,375 ac., pop. 5954. .
Dre, hamlet, Llanarth par., Cardiganshire, 4 miles
SAV. of Aberaeron.
Drchach.—hamlet, Llanfairtalhaiarn par., Denbigh-
shire, 4 miles S. of Abergele.—2. Dreback, hamlet, 2
miles N. of Corwen, Merioneth.
Drebley, hamlet, in par. and near Skipton, N. div.
Drcel, stream, E. Fifeshire; flows 6 miles SE. to
Firth of Forth, at Anstruther old harbour.
Hrefach, 4 miles S. of Llanarthney ry. sta., Carmar-
Drcgliorn, par. and vil. with ry. sta., N. Ayrshire—
par., 5626 ac., pop. 3949; vil., 5 miles AV. of Kilmar-
nock, pop. 928; P.O.; has coal, ironstone, limestone,
Dreghorn Castle, seat (17th century), in par. and
1 mile SE. of Colinton, Edinburghshire.
Dregoch, hamlet, inco. and3 miles NE. of Denbigh.
Drebidtarsna, par., mid. co. Limerick, 2 miles S. of
Adare, 1000 ac., pop. 183.
Drcni, barony, vil., and ry. junc., in co. and 4 miles
N. of Haddington, and 17| miles NE. of Edinburgh;
P.O., T.O.; the barony once belonged to the Knights
Templars, of whom there are remains; on a low conical
hill S. of vil. are vestiges of a Romano-British town.
Dresden, eccl. and local govt, dist., Trentham par.,
Staffordshire, in pari. bor. of Stoke upon Trent
— eccl. dist., pop. 5779; local govt, dist., 26 ac., pop.
3094; forms part of the Potteries.
Dressetland, seat, 24 m. from Thornhill, Dumfries.
Hrevor, hamlet, Kerry par., Montgomeryshire, 2
miles SE. of Newtown.
Drewcren, hamlet, in co. and 6 miles SW. of Radnor.
Drews Court, seat, on S. border of co. Limerick, 4
miles NW. of Charleville.
Drewson, vil., Nolton par., Pembrokeshire, 54miles
AV. of Haverfordwest.
Drewsteignton, par. and vil., S. Devon, 4 miles
NAV. of Moretonhampstead ry. sta., 6937 ac., pop. 805;
p.o.; 2 miles AV. of vil. is Drewsteignton Cromlech,
the only erect cromlech in Devon.
Drcwton, hamlet, North Cave par., East-Riding
Yorkshire, 1 mile NW. of South Cave. See North
Driby, par., mid. Lincolnshire, 54 miles N. of
Spilsby, 1338 ac., pop. 117.
Hritticid. — par., East-Riding Yorkshire, 7600 ac.,
pop. 6323; contains Driffield, or Great Driffield,
market town and township with ry. sta. (Driffield), 27
miles E. of York and 187 miles N. of London, 4814 ac.,
pop. 5937 ; P.O., T.O., called Driffield, 4 Banks, 3 news-
papers. Market-day, Thursday; is the capital of the
Wolds, and communicates with Hull, 18 miles S., by a
navigable canal. D. is situated in a rich agricultural
district, and has considerable trade in corn and other
agricultural produce; it has also some large floUr-Biffls
aud bone-mills, and works for the mfr. of linseed-cake
and artificial manures.—2. Driffield, par., E. Glou-
cestershire, 34 m. SE. of Cirencester, 1310 ac., pop. 119.
Driffield, Little, township, Driffield par., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 1 mile NW. of Great Driffield, 388
ac., pop. 218; has 4 annual fairs for stock, lambs, &c.
Drigg.—par. and hamlet with ry. sta., W. Cumber-
land, 2 miles NW. of Ravenglass, 3978 ac., 102 tidal
water, and 1629 foreshore, pop. 567. .J
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)