Bartholomew’s Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887) page 241 left column

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Duart Bay, in NE. of Mull island, Argyllshire ; at

E. side are the ruins of Duart Castle, or Castle Duart
(old seat of the Macleans); at SW. corner is D. House.

Dub of Hass, 5 miles SE. of Dalbeattie : which see.

Dubbs Cauldron, cascade on Wamphray Water,
Wamphray par., Dumfriesshire.

Dubbysldc, or Innerlevcn, S. suburb of town of
Leven, on right bank of river Leven, Fifeshire, pop. 501.

Dnbford, hamlet, in co. and 74 m. E. of Banff; p.o.

Dubh Artach Bocks, in the Atlantic, off the coast
of Argyllshire, 154 miles SW. of Iona ; the lighthouse
has a fixed light, 145 ft. above high-water, and seen 18
miles. See Dhu Hearteach.

Dubh Caher (Black Fort), ancient fortress, on SW.
coast of Inishmore island, in Galway Bay, co. Galway.

Dubh Loch, expansion of the Shira rivulet, Argyll-
shire, 2 miles NE. of Inveraray; on S. side are ruins of
a fortress of the Lairds of Macnaughton.

Dublin, 3 m. from Connah’s Quay, Flintshire; P.O.

Dnblin.—maritime co., Leinster, Ireland; is bounded
N. by co. Meath, E. by the Irish Sea, S. by co. Wicklow,
and W. by cos. Kildare and Meath ; greatest length, N.
and S., 32 miles; greatest breadth, E. and W., 18 miles;
average breadth, 12 miles; coast-line, 42 miles; area,
226,895 ac. (372 water), or IT per cent, of the total area
of ■’Ireland; pop. 418,910, of whom 76'5 per cent, are
Roman Catholics, 19'3 Episcopalians, 1’9 Presbyterians,
and 0'9 Methodists. Along the coast, which is irregular
and generally of great beauty, are Dublin Bay, Howth
Head, Lambay island, Ireland’s Eye, and other islets.
There are a few eminences in the N,, and near the S.
border the Wicklow mountains rise to an alt. of up-
wards of 2000 ft.; but the surface on the whole is flat
and very luxuriant. The soil consists of rich clay and
gravel; limestone is plentiful in the N., and granite
occurs among the mountains. The Liffey is the only
important river. The principal crops are wheat, barley,
oats, and potatoes; but much of the surface is under
pasture of remarkable verdure. (For agricultural statis-
tics, see Appendix.) The fisheries, coast and inland,
form an important industry. The co. comprises 9 bars.
—Balrothery (East and West), Castleknock, Coolock,
Dublin, Nethercross, Newcastle, Rathdown, and Upper-
cross; 76 pars., and parts of 10 others; and the pari, and
mun. bor. of Dublin (4 members, and Dublin University,
2 members). For pari, purposes it is divided into 2 divi-
sions, viz., North and South, 1 member for each div.—

2. Dublin, metropolis of Ireland, pari, and mun. bor.,
market town, and seaport, at mouth of river Liffey, on
Dublin Bay, 113 miles by rail S. of Belfast, 166 NE. of
Cork, and 292 NW. of London
via Holyhead, the port
being 64 miles from Holyhead, 130 from Liverpool, 223
from Glasgow, and 245 from Bristol—pari, bor., 5501
ac., pop. 273,282; mun. bor., 3808 ac., pop. 249,602;
10 Banks, 24 newspapers. Market-days,
Monday, Tues-
day, Thursday,
and Saturday. The view of the city
and its environs, as observed from Dublin Bay, is ex-
ceedingly striking and picturesque. The city is divided
into nearly two equal parts by the river Liffey, whose
banks, for about 2 miles from the sea, are lined with
the docks and shipping. The river is crossed further up
by ten fine bridges. The principal objects of interest
are—the Castle, the official residence of the Lord Lieu-
tenant and his staff, and containing an armoury for
80,000 men; the Bank of Ireland, formerly the Irish
Parliament House; the University or Trinity College
(founded by Queen Elizabeth in 1591), with 39 professors
and about 1400 students; Sackville Street, the finest
street of the city; the Courts of Justice, or the Four
Courts ; Christ Church Cathedral, restored (1878) at a
cost of £200,000, and St Patrick’s Cathedral, which
has also been restored and improved. The Phcenix
Park, situated on the western confines of the city, is 7
miles in circuit, and has an area of 1753 ac.; it contains
the Viceroy’s Lodge, the seat of the Principal Secretary
for Ireland, an obelisk (205 ft. high) in honour of
the Duke of Wellington, the People’s Gardens (arti-
ficially laid out pleasure grounds), and the Zoological
Gardens. St Stephen’s Green (20 ac.), on the S. side
of the city, was restored and opened to the public in
1880. The city is encompassed by the Circular Road,
which measures about 9 miles, and contains several
extensive military and constabulary barracks. The
brewing of porter is extensively carried on, and there
are 6 distilleries. There are mfrs. of mineral waters,
poplins, hats, agricultural implements; also iron-
founding and shipbuilding. The docks and wharfage
are now very extensive and commodious. The exports
are grain, provisions, live stock, wool, porter, and
whisky. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The
terminus station of the Kingston Ry. is at Westland
Row, that of the Great Southern and Western at
Kingsbridge, that of the Great North of Ireland in
Amiens Street, that of the Midland and Great Western
at Broadstone, and that of the Dublin, Wicklow, and
Wexford in Harcourt Street. The Royal and Grand
Canals extend from Dublin across the co. to the river
Shannon. Dublin returns 4 members to Parliament—


Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)

Page 240 right column ... Page 241 right column

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.