Dulcek Abbey, par., E. co. Meath, 3 miles SE. of
Duleek, 1029 ac., pop. 63.
Bulford, hamlet, 6 miles SE. of Cullompton, N.
Devon; in vicinity is Bulford House.
Hull, par. and vil., Perthshire, 34 miles W. of Aber-
feldy, 63,417 ac., pop. 2565; an ancient place, once the
seat of a monastery, founded in 687.
Hnllan Water, trouting stream, Banffshire, running
5f miles NE. to the Fiddich at Dufftown.
Dullatur, tract of low land, and ry. sta., on N.
border of Cumbernauld par., Dumbartonshire, 12| miles
NE. of Glasgow; in the vicinity of sta. are Dullatur
Villas, erected in 1875-76, round the old mansions of
Dykehead and Dullatur.
Dullingbani, par. and hamlet with ry. sta., in co.
and 10 miles E. of Cambridge, 3240 ac., pop. 835;
P.O.; contains Dullingbani House.
Dulnain, river, NE. Inverness-shire; rises on Mon-
adhliath mountains, and flows NE. to the Spey 3 miles
SW. of Grantown; is 28 miles long, and is a good trout-
ing stream ; the tract in Duthil par. watered by the
Dulnain is called Dulnainsidc; it was extensively
covered with a forest, which was destroyed by fire about
the beginning of the 18th century.
Dulnain Bridge, hamlet, on river Dulnain, 3 miles
SW. of Grantown, S. Elginsliire; P.O.
Buloe, par. and vil., E. Cornwall, 4 miles SAY. of
Liskeard, 5844 ac., pop. 970; P.O.
Dulsie Bridge, hamlet, on river Findhorn, in co.
and 12 miles SE. of Nairn.
Dniverton, market town and par. with ry. sta., W.
Somerset, on the Barle, 21 miles W. of Tannton and
184 miles SW. of London, 8337 ac., pop. 1373; P.O., T.O.,
1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. The town is 2 miles
N. of the sta. It is a favourite resort of anglers, and,
in the autumn, of hunting men.
Dnlwicb, 2 eccl. dists. (East D. and South D.) and
ry. sta., Camberwell par., E. Surrey, in S. of London;
pop., E. D., 23,318; S. D., 3691; the sta. is 5 miles S.
of London Bridge; in vicinity is Dnlwicb College, an
important educational institution, founded by Edward
Alleyn in 1619. The college possesses a splendid picture
gallery, bequeathed by Sir Francis Bourgeois (1756-1811),
Dumbarrow, seat, Forfarshire. See Dunbarrow.
Dumbarton, cap. of co., pari, and royal burgh, par.,
market town, and seaport, Dumbartonshire, at the con-
fluence of the Leven and the Clyde, 16 miles NAY. of
Glasgow by rail, 63 AY. of Edinburgh, and 400 NAY.
of London—par., 8291 ac., pop. 10,902; pari, burgh,
pop. 13,782; royal burgh, pop. 10,898; town, pop.
14,172; P.O., T.o., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day,
Tuesday. Dumbarton is an ancient place; it is supposed
to have been a naval station of the Romans, and subse-
quently the capital of the British kingdom of Strath-
clyde. Its principal trade formerly was the mfr. of crown
glass ; it is now shipbuilding, and particularly the con-
struction of iron steamers. The harbour is commodious,
and a pier constructed from the foot of the Rock gives
access to the river steamers. Dumbarton Bock shoots
sheer up to a height of 240 ft., and is almost insulated
at high water; it is crowned by Dumbarton Castle,
one of the four Scottish castles stipulated by the Treaty
of Union to be garrisoned and kept in repair. The
burgh unites with Kilmarnock, Renfrew, Rutherglen,
and Port-Glasgow in returning 1 member to Parliament.
Dumbartonshire, co., partly maritime but chiefly
inland, in W. of Scotland, comprising a main body and
a detached portion; area, 154,542 ac.; pop. 75,333, or
312 persons to each sq. m. The main body is in the
shape of a crescent, having the convex side adjacent to
the estuary of the Clyde, and measures 14 to 14 miles
in breadth, and about 38 miles between its extreme
points. The N. section (about two-thirds of the entire
area), projecting between Loch Long and Loch Lomond,
is wholly mountainous, and is celebrated for its pic-
turesque and sublime scenery. Ben Yorlich and Ben
Vane, in the extreme N., are 3092 and 3004 ft. high.
The lower district along the Clyde is flat, and in general
under excellent cultivation. (For agricultural statistics,
see Appendix.) The peninsular par. of Roseneath sepa-
rates Loch Long and the Gare Loch, offshoots of the
Firth of Clyde. The detached section (12 miles by 4
miles) lies 44 miles E. of the nearest point of the main
body. The rivers, besides the Clyde, are the Leven,
Allander, Kelvin, and Endrick. The mfrs. are very
important; numerous bleachfields, dye, print, and other
works line the banks of the Leven; and there are ex-
tensive shipbuilding yards along the Clyde. D. in
former times formed part of the territory of Lennox.
Arestiges of the Roman wall of Antoninus still exist. The
co. comprises 11 pars, and a part, the pari, and royal
burgh of Dumbarton (part of the Kilmarnock Burghs),
and the police burghs of Cove and Kilcreggan, Helens-
burgh, and Kirkintilloch. It returns 1 member to Pari.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)