Dundalk Bay (9 miles by 10 miles), E. co. Louth.
Dundalk Junction and Dundalk (Quay Street), 2
ry. stations at Dundalk, E. co. Louth.
Dundaravc, or Dunderawe, old turreted tower
(1596) of the Macnaughtons, on Loch Fyne, Argyllshire,
44 miles NE. of Inveraray.
Dundarave, seat, near Bushmills, N. co. Antrim.
Dnndardil, hill, Dores par., Inverness, nr. Loch Ness.
Dundareck, ruined castle of the M'Carthys, 3 miles
SW. of Macroom, co. Cork.
Bundarguc Castle, ruin, on Aberdour Bay, N.
Aberdeenshire, 34 miles SAY. of Rosehearty.
Dundas Castle, seat, E. Linlithgowshire, on NE.
extremity of Dnndas Hill (380 ft.), If mile SAY. of
Dnndas Hill Distillery, in N. of Glasgow.
Dundavid, ancient castle, Skye isl. See Duntulm.
Dundee, pari, and royal burgh, manufacturing and
market town, seaport, and par., Forfarshire, at foot
of the Law (571 ft.), on N. side of Firth of Tay,
21| miles E. of Perth by rail, 42 N. of Edinburgh,
84 NE. of Glasgow, and 441 NW. of London—
par., 4349 ac., pop. 100,59S; pari, and royal burgh,
pop. 140,063; town, pop. 140,239; 9 Banks, 5 news-
papers. Market-days, Tues. and Fri. Dundee is in
population the third town in Scotland. It is the first
port in Britain for the seal and whale fishery, and the
chief seat of the linen and jute mfrs. The principal
textile productions are Osnaburghs, dowlas, canvas,
sheetings, bagging, and jute carpeting. The annual
value of these fabrics is estimated at nearly £8,000,000.
Among the other industries are shipbuilding, engineer-
ing, tanning, and shoemaking by machinery. There are
also considerable foundries, breweries, corn and flour
mills, and confectionery and fruit-preserving (the cele-
brated Dundee marmalade) works. The harbour works
extend about 2 miles along the river side; the docks,
5 in number, cover an area of 35 ac. On middle and
E. piers, and at Camperdown Dock, are fixed lights
(Dundee Harbour) seen 7 and 3 miles. (For shipping
statistics, see Appendix.) There is regular steamboat
communication with Leith, Newcastle, Hull, London,
Liverpool, and Rotterdam. A steam service was
arranged between Dundee and Antwerp in 1884.
Communication with the south was rendered more
direct by the Tay Bridge, opened in May 1878, and
blown down in December 1879. Steps were almost
immediately taken to have it rebuilt, and the work
was begun in the spring of 1882. Dundee has a College
(1882), with an endowment of £140,000, and chairs for
natural history and mathematics, chemistry, classics
and history, and English literature and language; it has
also a Free Library, an Esplanade, extending along
the river side between Magdalen Point and Craig Pier,
and several public parks, the most notable of which is
the Baxter Park (38 ac.), presented to the community
by Sir David Baxter. Its most remarkable antiquities
are—the Old Steeple (14th century), and the East
Port, the sole relic of the ancient walls, allowed to
stand in commemoration of Wishart the Martyr, who
preached from it during the plague in 1544. Dundee was
early a town of considerable note. It was made a royal
burgh by AVilliam the Lion, and was twice taken posses-
sion of by the English during the AYar of Independence.
In the reign of the Stuarts it was ranked the third
town in Scotland after Edinburgh. In the 16th century
it was the first Scottish town to renounce Popery; in
1645 it was pillaged by Montrose, and again by General
Monk in 1651; it long suffered from these calamities,
but in the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th
centuries it rapidly recovered even more than its former
comparative importance. The burgh returns 2 mem-
bers to Parliament.
Bundelcliak, loch, in co. and 84 m. S. of Inverness.
Dunderawe (Argyllshire). See Dundarave.
Dundermot, Grange of, par., N. co. Antrim, 7
miles N. of Ballymena, 3007 ac., pop. 884.
Dunderrow, par., S. co. Cork, on river Bandon, 3
miles NAY. of Kinsale, 6433 ac., pop. 1073.
Dunderry, vil., 4 m. N. of Trim, AY. co. Meath; P.O.
Dnndon Beacon, entrenched eminence, Compton
Dundon par., mid. Somerset.
Dnndonaeliie, 14 mile SAY. of Dunkeld, Perthshire.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)