Dunflonald.—coast par. and vil., Ayrshire—par.,
12,365 ac., pop. 8105; vil., 5 miles SW. of Kilmarnock;
P.O.; contains part of pari, burgh of Irvine and the
greater part of town of Troon; coal is mined, and sand-
stone is quarried; a little W. of vil. are the ruins of
Dnndonald. Castle, the property of the Cochranes,
Earls of Dundonald; Robert II. died at Dundonald
Castle in 1390.—2. Dundonald, ruins of old castle, in
W. of Kintyre, Argyllshire.
Dundonald, par. and vil. with ry. sta., N. co. Down,
4 miles NAV. of Comber—par., 4635 ac., pop. 1157; vil.,
pop. 147; P.O.
Dnndonnell, inn and seat, NW. Ross-shire, 8 m. S.
of Ullapool. Dnndonnell Deer Forest embraces 22,860
ac. Dnndonnell Elver rises on the D. Hills, and flows
12 m. NW. through D. Strath to Little Loch Broom.
Dnndonnle, islet, Aberdeen, 4 m. S. of Buchan Ness.
Dnndraw and Kelsick, township, Bromfield par.,
E. Cumberland, on river Weaver, 3 miles NAV. of AVig-
ton, 2365 ac., pop. 272.
Dundreggan, shooting-lodge, Glen Moriston, Inver-
ness-shire, 8 miles NW. of Fort Augustus.
Dundrelcb, in co. and 5 m. NE. of Peebles, 1954 ft.
Dnndrcnnan, vil., ruined abbey (1142), and estate,
in co. and 5 miles SE. of Kirkcudbright; P.O.
Dnndridge, hamlet, in par. and 1 mile NE. of
Bishops Waltham, N. Hants.
Dnndrod, 8 miles AV. of Belfast, S. co. Antrim; P.O.
Dnndrum.—seaport vil. with ry. sta., Kilmegan par.,
E. co. Down, on Dimdrum Bay, 7 miles SW. of Down-
patrick, pop. 372; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. It exports grain,
potatoes, and cattle, chiefly to Whitehaven and the N.
of England.—2. Dundriun, vil. with ry. sta., Taney
par., in co. and 4 m. S. of Dublin, pop. 492; P.O., T.O.—
3. Bnndrnm, vil. and seat with ry. sta., Ballintemple
par., in co. and 7 m. NE. of Tipperary, pop. 155; P.O.,T.O.
Bundrnm Bay, co. Down; extends from Dullish
Cove to St Johns Point (9 miles), with cliffs at each
side. On St John Point is a lighthouse, with inter-
mittent light (Dundrum Bay) seen 12 miles.
Dnndry, par. and vil., E. Somerset, 4 miles SAV. of
Bristol, 2799 ac., pop. 565; P.O.; contains Dundry Bill,
a ridge (4 miles long and 768 ft. high) on which many
interesting fossils have been found.
DuMnff.—farm with ruins of ancient baronial fort-
alice, in co. and 6 miles SW. of Ayr.—2. Dunduff,
school, in par. and 3 m. NW. of Dunfermline, Fifeshire.
Dmndnrcns, ancient par., now annexed to Boharm
(Banffshire) and Rothes (Elginshire); that part lying
along the river Spey is called Dimdnrcns Vale.
Dnndnrn, ancient par., now part of Comrie, Perth.
Dnndyvan, suburb of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.
Duncan, seat and hill (940 ft.), in co. and 3 miles
SW. of Inverness.
Duneane, par., W. co. Antrim, on Lough Neagh,
11,255 ac., pop. 4047 ; contains Toome Bridge ry. sta.,
11 miles AV. of Crookston Junction.
Duneany, par., in co. and 4 miles AV. of Kildare,
3088 ac., pop. 249.
Dnneavn, 2 m. NAV. of Burntisland, Fifeshire, 734 ft.
Duneaton Water, Lanarkshire; rises on Cairntable,
and flows 19 miles NE. to the Clyde at Duneaton, 2
miles N. of Abington ; is an excellent trouting stream.
Dunectat, seat of the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres,
in co. and 12 miles AV. of Aberdeen ; P.O.
Dnnevan, ancient hill-fort, near Cawdor, Nairnshire.
Dnnfallandy, seat, 14 mile S. of Pitlochry, Perth-
shire ; at Dunfallandy is a fine old sculptured stone.
Dunffanagliy, small market town and seaport, Clon-
dahorky par., N. co. Donegal, on an inlet of Sheephaven
Bay, 40 miles NAV. of Strabane ry. sta., pop. 598;
P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Vessels of
100 tons can reach the quay.
Dunfermline, pari, and royal burgh, manufacturing
town, and par., Fifeshire, 3 miles N. of Firth of Forth,
16 miles NAV. of Edinburgh, 42 NE. of Glasgow, and
416NW. of London—par., 20,764ac., pop. 26,568; royal
burgh, pop. 19,915 ; pari, burgh and town, pop. 17,084;
P. O., T. O., 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday ;
has table linen mfrs., iron and brass foundries, soap-
works, and dyeworks, and in the vicinity are extensive
coal mines. Dunfermline was early a favourite resi-
dence of the Scottish kings ; the Benedictine Abbey,
founded by Malcolm Canmore (1070-1093), was their
burial-place from the end of the 11th to the middle
of the 14th century; it is represented chiefly by the
Abbey Church, underneath the pulpit of which are
the remains of King Robert Bruce. The last royal
occupant of the Palace was Charles II., who there
signed the Solemn League and Covenant. Dunfermline
unites with Stirling, Inverkeithing, Queensferry, and
Culross in returning 1 member to Parliament.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)