Eddystone Lighthouse, on the Eddystone Rocks, a
dangerous reef in the English Channel, 14 miles SAY.
of Plymouth. The first Eddystone Lighthouse (Win-
stanleys), finished 1700, was swept away in the hurri-
cane of November 1703; the second (Rudyerds), finished
1709, was destroyed by fire in 1755; the third (Smeatons),
finished 1759, was removed, after the inauguration of the
present lighthouse, and re-erected on Plymouth Hoe; the
present lighthouse (Douglasss), finished 1882, is built
entirely of granite, is 168 ft. high from base to vane,
and has a flashing half-minute light seen 174 miles.
Edeirnion, hundred, NE. Merioneth, 59,858 ac.,
pop. 5623; contains 7 pars, and part of another; Edeir-
nion (or Edernion) Yale lies along the river Dee
between Bala and Corwen.
Eden.—river, AYestmorland and Cumberland; rises
on E. border of Westmorland, and flows NAY. past
Kirkby Stephen, Appleby, Kirkoswald, and Carlisle to
Solway Firth at Rockcliffe Marshes ; is 65 miles long.—
2. Eden, river, Sussex and Kent; rises 24 miles AY. of
East Grinstead, Sussex, and flows 12 miles NE. past
Edenbridge to the Medway at Penshurst.
Eden, river, Fifeshire; is formed by the confluence
of the Carmore and Beattie Burns, on the Kinross-shire
border, and flows NE. through Stratheden (or Howe of
Fife) to St Andrews Bay ; is 294 miles long (including
6 miles of estuary), and is a fair trouting stream.
Eden, vil., 2 miles E. of Carrickfergus, S. co. Antrim,
pop. 201; P.O.
Eden Ball, seat, Cumberland. See Edenhall.
Eden Honse, seat, on r. Deveron, N. Aberdeen, 4 m.
SE. of Banff; § m. S. are the ruins of Eden Castle.
Eden ©wen, hamlet, Whitford par., Flintshire, 3
miles NW. of Holywell.
Eden Park, ry. sta., 1 m. S. of Beckenham, AY, Kent.
Eden Water, river, Berwickshire and Roxburgh-
shire ; rises 34 miles SE. of Lauder, and flows SE. to
the Tweed 34 miles NE. of Kelso; is 234 miles long,
and is a capital trouting stream.
Edenbank, hamlet, Fife. See Edenshead.
Edenbridge, par. and vil. with ry. sta., W. Kent,
on river Eden, 10 miles AV. of Tunbridge and 30 miles
SE. of London, 5329 ac. (42 water), pop. 1943; P.O.,
T.O., called Eden-Bridge, 1 Bank. Market-day, Tues.
Edencrannon, 6 m. from Dungannon, Tyrone; P.O.
Edenderry, town with ry. sta., Monasteroris par.,
NE. Kings co., 374 m. "W- °f Dublin, pop. 1555; P.O., T.O.,
2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The town owes many
of its improvements to the Marquises of Downshire.
Edendon Water, stream, N. Perthshire ; rises
among the Grampians, close to the Inverness-shire
border, and flows to the Garry near Dalnacardoch.
Eden dork, 2 miles from Dungannon, Tyrone ; P.O.
Edenfield, eccl. dist. and vil., Bury par., SE. Lan-
cashire—dist. pop. 3958; vil., 54 m. N. of Bury; p. o., T. o.
Edenhall, par., E. Cumberland, on river Eden, 34
miles NE. of Penrith, 3429 ac., pop. 270; P.O.; con-
tains Eden Hail (seat of the Musgraves), noted for its
old glass goblet called The Luck of Eden Hall.
Edenbam, par. and ry. sta., S. Lincolnshire, on river
Glen, 24 m. NW. of Bourn, 6844 ac., pop. 563 ; p. O., T. o.
Edenham, par. and vil., Roxburgh. See Ednam.
Edenkillie, par., Elgin. See Edinkillie.
Edenope, hamlet, Mainstone par., S. Shropshire, 3
miles W. of Bishops Castle.
Edenshead, Edentown, or Gntcside, vil. with ry.
sta. (Gateside), in par. and 2 m. SW. of Strathmiglo, Fife;
P.O., called Gateside; includes the hamlet of Edcn-
hank, with sawmills ; in vicinity is Edenshead House.
Edensor (popularly Ensor).—township and vil., N.
Derbyshire, on river Derwent, 2 miles NE. of Bakewell
—par., 2801 ac. (24 water), pop. 517; township, 2336
ac., pop. 286; P.O.—2. Edensor, eccl. dist., Stoke-
upon-Trent par., N. Staffordshire, pop. 5963.
Edcnstown, vil., in S. of Collessie par., Fifeshire, 1^
mile from Ladybank.
Edentliorpe, seat, near Doncaster, Yorkshire.
Edentown, vil., Fife. See Edenshead.
Edentrilllck, 3 m. from Hillsborough, Down ; P.O.
Edenwood, seat, Ceres par., Fifeshire, on the Eden,
2 miles SW. of Cupar.
Edercloon, school, Mohill par., co. Leitrim.
Edergole, island, in Upper Lough Erne, Aghalurcher
par., co. Fermanagh, pop. 5.
Ederham, par. and vil., Berwick. See Edrom.
Ederline, loch, near S. end of Loch Awe, Argyll-
shire : on E. bank is Ederline House.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)