Edinburghshire (or Mid-Lothian), maritime co.
in SE. of Scotland; is bounded E. by Haddington (or
East-Lothian), Berwick, and Roxburgh ; S. by Selkirk
and Peebles; SW. by Lanark; and NW. by Linlith-
gow (or West-Lothian); coast-line, 12 miles; 231,724
ac., pop. 389,164. The surface is finely diversified. The
Moorfoot Hills, a continuation of the Lammermuirs,
occupy the SE.; the Pentland Hills stretch across the
co. from the SW. All the streams, with the exception
of the Tyne and Gala, in the E. and the SE., run to the
Firth of Forth; the principal are the North Esk, the
South Esk, the AYater of Leith, and the Almond ; the
North Esk especially is noted for its picturesque
scenery. The lowlands towards the Forth are the
most fertile ; the hilly parts of the S. are chiefly under
pasture ; in the W. are dairy-farms ; in the vicinity of
the city of Edinburgh are extensive nursery grounds
and market gardens. The principal crops are oats and
barley, turnips and potatoes. (For agricultural sta-
tistics, see Appendix.) The co. consists chiefly of
carboniferous strata; and coal, shale, ironstone, lime-
stone, and freestone, are extensively worked. There are
valuable herring fisheries in the Firth of Forth. The
mfrs. arelimited; but(beyondEdinburgh and Leith) there
are numerous paper mills, oil-works, and several iron
foundries and brick and tile works. Gunpowder is made
at Roslyn. The co. is traversed by the North British
and Caledonian Rys., andbythe UnionCanal. Itcontains
28 pars, and 4 parts, the pari, burgh of Edin. (4 mem-
bers, and Edin. University, with St Andrews, 1 member),
the Leith Burghs (Leith, Portobello, and Musselburgh—•
1 member), andthepoliceburghs of Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith,
Loanhead, and Penicuik. It returns 1 member to Pari.
Edinchip Honse, 1 mile N. of Lochearnhead sta.,
Perthshire; seat of the chief of the Clan Gregor.
Edingalc, par., on E. border of Staffordshire, 5
miles N. of Tamworth, 900 ac., pop. 181.
Edingight, seat of the Inneses of Balvenie, 4 m. NE.
of Grange sta., Banffshire, at AY. skirt of Knock Hill.
Edinglassle, estate with old mansion, Strathdon
par., Aberdeen; is included in the Castle Newe property.
Edlngley, par. (ry. sta. Kirklington and Edingley),
S. Notts, 3 miles NAAr. of Southwell, 1800 ac., pop.
Edingtliorpc, par., N. Norfolk, 34 miles NE. of
North Walsham, 710 ac., pop. 190.
Edington.—township, Mitfordpar., S. Northumber-
land, 34 miles SW. of Morpeth, 652 ac., pop. 34.—2.
Edington, township and ry. sta., Moorlinch par., AY.
Somerset, 64 miles NW. of Glastonbury, 2167 ac.,
pop. 435 ; P.O.—3. Edington, par., N. Wilts, 34 miles
NE. of AVestbury, 3705 ac., pop. 927; P.O.
Edington, hamlet and ruins of ancient fortalice, in
par. and 24 miles E. of Chirnside, Berwickshire.
Edington Bur tie, school, Clutton dist., E. Somerset.
Edingwortli, hamlet, East Brent par., mid. Somer-
set, 54 miles SAV". of Axbridge.
Edinkens, remains of ancient bridge, Innerwick par.,
Haddington; traditionally associated with tbe name of
King Edwin of Northumbria or King Edward of England.
Edlnkillie, par. and hamlet, AY. Elginshire, 32,466
ac., pop. 1175; the hamlet, 84 miles S. of Forres and
1 mile E. of Dunphail ry. sta., is on the river Divie,
here crossed by a lofty seven-arched railway viaduct.
Edins Hall (Edwins or Odins Hall or Hold), re-
mains of ancient fortress, on NE. slope of Cockburnlaw,
in par. and 44 miles NW. of Duns, Berwickshire; is
one of the 3 brochs or dry-built round towers on the
Scottish mainland S. of the Caledonian Canal.
Edinviliie, hamlet, on Burn of Aberlour, W. Banff-
shire, 2 miles S. of Charlestown of Aberlour.
Editli Weston, par., near E. border of Rutland, 54
miles SE. of Oakham, 1723 ac., pop. 350 ; contains
Edithmead, hamlet, Burnham par., mid. Somerset,
84 miles NE. of Bridgwater.
Edlaston, par., S. Derbyshire, 24 miles S. of Ash-
borne, 1379 ac., pop. 208.
Edlcsborough, par. and vil., on E. border of Bucks,
54 miles SE. of Leighton Buzzard, 4647 ac., pop. 1598.
Edlcston, township, Acton par., AY. Cheshire, 14
mile SAY. of Nantwich, 640 ac., pop. 81.
Edlcston, par. and vil., Peebles. See Eddlestone.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)