Eglwys Cymiuin, par., SAY. Carmarthen, 4 miles AY.
of Laugharne,^3740 ac., pop. 245.
Eglwys Rkos, par., Carnarvonshire, 2 miles NE. of
Conway, 3105 ac. land and 635 water, pop. 1478; P.O.
Eglwysael, another name for Llangadwaladr par.
Eglwyseg (or Eglwyscgle), hamlet, in par. and
near Corwen, Merioneth.
Eglwyseg Bocks, on left hank of r. Dee, Denbigh.
Eglwysfack.—par., Denbigh and Carnarvon, and
township and vil., Denbigh, 6 miles N. of Llanrwst—
par., 10,804 ac., pop. 1529; township, 7902 ac., pop.
1126; P.O., called Eglwyskack.—2. Eglwysfacli, eccl.
dist. and vil., Llanfihangel-Geneur-Glynn par., Cardigan-
shire, pop. 521; the vil. is 54 miles SAY. of Machynlleth.
Eglwys-l'ai r- Achy rig, township, Henllan Amgoed
par., Carmarthenshire, on river Taf, 9 miles NAY. of St
Clears, 2618 ac., pop. 243.
Eglwys-fair-Glantaf, former par., on AY. border of
Carnarvon, 54 miles AY. of St Clears.
Eglwysllan, par., Glamorgan, 13,852 ac., pop. 8938;
contains part of Pontypridd.
Eglwysnewyild, eccl. dist. and vil., Llanfihangel-
Lledrod par., Cardiganshire, pop. 1004 ; the vil. is
12 miles SE. of Aberystwith.
Eglwyswrw, par. and vil., N. Pembrokeshire, 5
miles S. of Cardigan, 3664 ac., pop. 452 ; P.O.
Eglynod Eagle, hamlet, near Llangollen, Denbigh.
Egmanton, par., N. Notts, 24 miles SAY. of Tuxford
ry. sta., 2220 ac., pop. 235.
Egincre, par., N. Norfolk, 3 miles AY. of AYalsing-
ham, 1237 ac., pop. 97.
Egremont (or Western) Division, pari. div. of
Cumberland, pop. 52,222.
Egrcinont.—market town, par., and ry. sta., AY.
Cumberland, on river Ehen, 6 miles SE. of AYhitehaven,
2749 ac., pop. 5976 ; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day,
Saturday; iron ore is excavated in the neighbourhood,
and conveyed to AYhitehaven, to be shipped to South
AYales. To the west of the town stand the ruins of
Egremont Castle, built soon after the Conquest.
The Horn of Egremont Castle is the subject of a
poem by AYordsworth.—2. Egremont, par., AY. Car-
marthenshire, on river East Cleddau, 2 miles NAY.
of Clynderwen sta., 1006 ac., pop. 114.—3. Egremont,
town, AVallasey par., AY. Cheshire, on river Mersey,
2 miles NAY. of Birkenhead, pop. 2976; P.O., T.o.;
in vicinity is the vil. of Egremont Ferry.
Egton, township and vil. with ry. sta., Lythe par.,
North-Riding Yorkshire, 74 m. SAY. of AYhitby, 15,657
ac., pop. 1266 ; P.O. ; 1 m. SAY. of vil. is the hamlet of
Egton Bridge; P.O.; in vicinity is Egton Grange.
Egton with Newland, township, in par. and 3 miles
N. of Ulverston, N. Lancashire, 3661 ac., pop. 998.
Egwad, hamlet, Llanegwad par., in co. and 74 miles
NE. of Carmarthen.
Ehen, river, AV. Cumberland ; issues from Ennerdale
AYater, and flows SAY. past Egremont to the Irish Sea
at Sellafield; 12 miles long.
Eidda, township, Yspytty par., Carnarvonshire, on
river Conway, 9 miles SE. of Llanrwst, pop. 296.
Eifiou (or Southern) Division, pari. div. of Car-
narvonshire, pop. 45,837.
Eigg, island (6| miles by 4 miles), Inverness-shire, 5
miles SAY. of Sleat Point, and 74 miles AY. of Arisaig,
pop. 291; P.O.; has Small Isles par. church and
manse; at the S. end a promontory, 14 mile long, rises
into a porphyritic peak called the Scuir of Eigg, 1346
ft. high; in a cavern near the SE. coast, towards the
close of the 16th century, the Macleods of Skye are said
to have suffocated the Macdonalds of Eigg, to the
number of 200; the sound between Eigg and Eilean
Chaistal or Castle Island, to the S., serves as a tolerable
harbour for small vessels. The population is chiefly
engaged in cattle rearing.
Eighcacli, loch, on river Ghaoir, NAY. Perthshire.
Eiglitcr.—4 m. SAY. of Virginia, S. co. Cavan; P.O.—
2, Fighter, isl., Templecronepar., co. Donegal, pop. 34.
Eighton Banks, eccl. dist., Chester-le-Street and
Gateshead pars., N. Durham, pop. 2467.
Eii Lock, sea-loch, Argyll and Inverness; Lower
Loch Eil extends from head of Loch Linnhe at Corran
Narrows 94 miles NE. to Corpach; Upper Loch Eil
deflects at Corpach, and extends 84 miles NAY.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)