pands into the Firth of Forth; is 52¾ miles long to i
Stirling, 12½ thence to Alloa, and 54½ thence to the
mouth of the estuary; is 1J; mile wide between North
and South Queensferry, 5 miles between Granton and
Burntisland, and about 30 at the mouth of the estuary
between Fife Ness and St Abbs Head. The anchor¬
ages are excellent, and the Firth of Forth is the most
important harbour of refuge to the N. of the Humber.
On the Isle of May and on Inchkeith are lighthouses.
Several of the ports (Leith, Granton, Borrowstounness,
Grangemouth) carry on a large foreign trade. Steamers
go up to Stirling. The river is a good salmon stream,
and the estuary abounds in white fish and herrings.
The principal ferries are between Granton and Burnt¬
island, and between North and South Queensferry.
Forth Bridge, between North and South Queens¬
ferry, Firth of Forth, a railway viaduct on the con¬
tinuous girder principle, was commenced in 1883; it
is 2630 yards (4½ mile) long, has 2 spans of 1700 ft.,
2 of 675 ft., 14 of 168 ft., and 6 of 50 ft., and is 150 ft.
above high water at spring tide.—A railway bridge,
about ½ mile long, and with central swing-opening, was
erected over the Forth at Alloa in 1882-84.
Forth and Clyde Canal (constructed 1768-1790),
extends from the Forth at Grangemouth to the Clyde
at Bowling Bay ; is 35 m. long (with a branch of 2f m. to
Port Dundas, Glasgow), rises 156 ft., and has 39 locks.
Forth End, 3 miles from Chelmsford, Essex ; P.O.
Forth Hill, in co. and 4 miles SAY. of AYexford, 774
ft. high ; the scene of a skirmish in 1798.
Forth (or Oakley) Ironworks, in AY. of Garnock
par., Fifeshire, 4 miles AY. of Dunfermline; were estab¬
lished in 1846, but afterwards discontinued.
Forth Paper Mills, 1½ mile from Kincardine sta.,
Clackmannanshire; post-town, Alloa.
Fortliampton, par. and vil., E. Gloucestershire, 2½
miles W. of Tewkesbury, 2440 ac., pop. 413; P.O.; 1
mile SE. of vil. is Forthampton Court.
Forthar Limcworks, in par. and 4½ mile S. of
Fortherley, High, township, Bywell St Peter par.,
S. Northumberland, 7 m. SE. of Hexham, 1657 ac., pop.68.
Forthie Water, Kincardineshire; falls into Bervie
Water 1 mile S. of Drumlithie.
Fortin, stream, N. Devon, falling into the Creedy
Fortingall, par. and vil., with hotel, NAY. Perth¬
shire—par., 196,683 ac., pop. 1690; vil., on river Lyon,
8 miles W. of Aberfeldy; P.O., T.o., called Fortingal;
in the churchyard are remains of a great yew-tree sup¬
posed to be fully 3000 years old—probably the oldest
specimen of vegetation in Europe; in vicinity of vil.
is a Roman camp ; the par. (which includes the districts
of Rannoch and Glenlyon) is wholly mountainous, with
intersecting glens, lochs, and streams.
Fortis Green, hamlet, Hornsey par., Middlesex, 6
miles N. of London.
Portland, seat, 1 mile S. of Easky, NAY. co. Sligo.
Forton.—eccl. dist., Alverstoke par., S. Hants, pop.
5762; is suburban to Gosport.—2. Forton, hamlet,
Longparish par., N. Hants, 3miles SE. of Andover.—3.
Forton, township, Cockerham par., N. Lancashire, 4
miles N. of Garstang, 1279 ac., pop. 595.—4. Forton,
hamlet, in par. and 1 mile SE. of Chard, W. Somerset.
5. Forton, hamlet, on river Severn, N. Shropshire, 5
miles NAAr. of Shrewsbury.—6. Forton, par., W.
Staffordshire, on border of co., 4½ mile NE. of Newport,
3740 ac. (217 water), pop. 541.
Fortrose, pari, and royal burgh, small town, and
quoad sacra par., Rosemarkie par., Ross-shire, on W.
side of the Inner Moray Firth, nearly opposite to Fort
George (to which there is a ferry), and 10½ miles NE.
of Inverness—par., pop. 492; town, pop. 874; pari,
burgh, pop. 869; royal burgh, pop. 986; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank. Market-day, Friday. Fortrose consists of
Fortrose proper (formerly called Chanonry, from being
the chanonry of Ross, where the bishop had his resi¬
dence) and Rosemarkie, about 1 mile NE. Of the
cathedral (beginning of 14th century), the greater part
of which was removed by Cromwell to provide mate¬
rials for the erection of his fort at Inverness, there
are now very few remains. Fortrose is a summer resort,
its attractions being its romantic scenery, its fine links,
and its facilities for sea-bathing. It has daily com¬
munication by steamer with Inverness. A new wooden
pier, at which steamers can touch at all states of the
tide, was erected in 1881. The harbour is safe and con¬
venient ; but there is no regular trade. Fortrose unites
with Inverness, Nairn, and Forres in returning 1 mem¬
ber to Parliament.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)