Gads Hill, eminence, mid. Kent, 3 miles SE. of
Gravesend ; immortalised by Shakespeare as the scene
of the robbery of Falstaff ; and contains the residence
of Charles Dickens (1812-1870).
Gady Burn, Aberdeenshire. See Gaudy.
Gaer. See also Caer .
Gaer, hamlet, Castle Caereinion par., Montgomery¬
shire, 5 miles SW. of Welshpool.
Gaeriben, vil., Llanfihangel Esceifiog par., Anglesey,
1½ mile from Llangefni sta.
Gacrwen, hamlet with ry. sta. (Gaerwen Junction),
4 miles SE. of Llangefni, Anglesey; P.O.
Gafltogian, hundred, SW. Carnarvonshire, 12,684
ac., pop. 2910; contains 7 pars, and part of another.
Gafriw, hamlet, Llanarth par., Cardiganshire, 4
miles SE. of Aberaeron.
Gagingwell, hamlet, Enstone par., Oxfordshire, 6
miles SE. of Chipping Norton.
Gaich Wood, S. Elginshire, on left bank of river
Spey, between Grantown and Dulnain Bridge.
Gaick Deer Forest, Inverness-shire, 23,650 ac.;
Gaiek Lodge is 9½ miles S. of Kingussie sta.
Gaile, par., mid. co. Tipperary, 5 miles SW. of
Thurles, 2480 ac., pop. 304.
Gailey, hamlet with ry. sta., Penkridge par., in co.
and 6 miles S. of Stafford ; P.O.
Gailey cum Hatlicrton, eccl. dist. (ry. sta. Gailey),
Brewood, Penkridge, and Wolverhampton pars., AY.
Staffordshire, pop. 809.
Gain, school, New Monkland par., Lanarkshire.
Gaineimh, Loch, 6 miles AY. of Forsinard sta.,
Gaines, seat, on NE. border of Herefordshire, 4½
miles NE. of Bromyard.
Gaines (or Gaynes) Hall, seat, in co. and 6½ miles
SW. of Huntingdon.
Gainford, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta., S.
Durham, on river Tees, 7½ miles NW. of Darlington—
par., 24,770 ac., pop. 6948; township, 2346 ac., pop.
897; P.O., T.o.
Gainsborough, market town, river port, par., and
township, N. Lincolnshire, on river Trent, 17 miles
NW. of Lincoln by rail and 145 miles NW. of London
—par., 7210 ac., pop. 12,307; township, pop. 10,979;
town, pop. 10,873; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day,
Tuesday. The town is situated 20 miles above the
mouth of the Trent at the Humber, and owes much of
its importance to the canals connected with the Trent,
which maintain a large traffic between the inland cos.
and the coast. It is a sub-port of Grimsby. The mfrs.
are linseed oil and linseed cake, malt, and cordage.
Gainsborough (or West Lindsey) Division, pari,
div. of Lincolnshire, pop. 48,819.
Gair, Loch, left arm of Loch Fyne, Argyllshire.
Gair Loch, sea-locb, AV. Ross-shire; is 3½ miles broad
at entrance, and strikes 6 miles E. from the Minch.
Gair braid House, mansion (now a farmhouse), on
the Kelvin, near Maryhill, Glasgow.
Gairie Burn, Forfarshire; flows 6½ miles S., past
Kirriemuir, to Dean Water, 2 miles NE. of Glamis.
Gairlocb, par. and vil., AY. Ross-shire—par., 200,646
ac., pop. 4594 ; vil., with steamboat pier and hotel, at
head of Gair Loch, 28 miles NAY. of Achnasheen sta.;
P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Gairlocby, hamlet, with lock on Caledonian Canal,
Kilmalie par., Inverness-shire, at foot of Loch Lochy, 3
miles NW. of Spean Bridge; P.O.
Gairn, river, SW. Aberdeenshire; rises on Ben
Avon, on Banffshire border, and flows 20 miles E. and
SE. through Glen Gairn to the Dee near Ballater; 4½
mile from Ballater are the Mills of Gairn.
Gairney Water.—affluent of Tanner Water, Aber¬
deenshire, 5 miles SW. of Aboyne.—2. Gairney Water,
Perth and Kinross ; flows 8 miles E. to Loch Leven, 2
miles SE. of Kinross ; mile from its mouth is Gair-
neybridge; 4 miles from Kinross is Gairney House.
Gairushiel Shooting Lodge, on river Gairn, Aber¬
deenshire, 5 miles NW. of Ballater.
Gairuside, place with Roman Catholic church, on
river Gairn, Aberdeenshire, 4 miles NAY. of Ballater.
Gairsay, island, Evie and Rendall par., Orkney, ¾
mile E. of Mainland and 1½ mile NW. of Shapinshay,
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)