Gaisgill, hamlet with ry. sta., Orton par., Westmor¬
land, 1J mile E. of Tebay.
Gait, Loch, now a marsh, Galston par., Ayrshire.
Gaitnip, range of coast cliffs, with caverns, on E. side
of Scapa Bay, Mainland, Orkney, 3 m. S. of Kirkwall.
Gaitsgill, hamlet, Cumberland. See Gatesgill.
Gala House, seat, near Galashiels, Selkirkshire.
Gala Lane, stream, Kirkcudbright and Ayr; issues
from Dungeon Lochs and flows 6 m. N. to Loch Doon.
Gala Water, river, Edinburgh, Selkirk, and Rox¬
burgh ; rises among the Moorfoot Hills, and flows 21
miles SE. to the Tweed 2½ miles AY. of Melrose.
Galashiels, pari, burgh, manufacturing town, and
par.—par., partly in Roxburghshire hut chiefly in Sel¬
kirkshire, 8440 ac., pop. 9742; town, Galashiels and
Melrose pars., Selkirkshire, on Gala AVater, 1 mile
above its confluence with the Tweed, 33½ miles SE. of
Edinburgh by rail—pari, and mun. burgh, pop. 15,330
(parliamentary limits extended 1885); 5 Banks, 2 news¬
papers. Market-day, Tuesday. Galashiels was origin¬
ally, according to tradition, a hunting-seat of the
Scottish kings; modern Galashiels dates from the close
of the 18th century. It is the chief seat of the woollen
mfr. in Scotland, the principal fabric being tweeds.
Galashiels was one of the first towns in Scotland to
adopt the Free Libraries Act. Along with Hawick and
Selkirk it returns 1 member to Parliament.
Galbally.—par. and vil., SE. co. Limerick, 9 miles
SW. of Tipperary ry. sta., 15,457 ac., pop. 3187 ; P.O.
—2. Galbaliy, 4 miles from Donaghmore, co. Tyrone;
P.O.—3. Galhally, school, Ballyhogepar., co.AVexford.
Galhooly, par., mid. co. Tipperary, 2 miles SE. of
Thurles, 1267 ac., pop. 210.
Galby, par. and township, S. Leicester, 2 m. SW. of
Billesdon—par., 1170 ac., pop. 107 ; township, pop. 88.
Galdry, vil., Fife. See Gauldry.
Gale, vil., Bolton-le-Moors par., SE. Lancashire, 2
miles N. of Bolton.
Galeforth, stream, AVestmorland; falls into the
Sprint 1 mile N. of Stockdale, and has a waterfall of
300 ft. called Galeforth Spout.
Gales.—hamlet, Llanganhafal par., Denbighshire, 3
miles NE. of Ruthin.—2. Gales, hamlet, Llangwyfan
par., Denbighshire, 5 miles N. of Ruthin.
Gaiey, hamlet, Staffordshire. See Gailey.
Galey.—par., N. co. Kerry, on river Galey, 2 miles
NAV. of Listowel, 12,602 ac., pop. 2122.—2. Galey,
rivulet; rises near Newcastle, co. Limerick, and flows
12 miles SW. to river Feale, co. Kerry.
Galgate, hamlet with ry. sta., in co. and 4 miles S.
of Lancaster; P.O., T.O.
Galgorm, 2 m. AY. of Ballymena, W. co. Antrim; P.O.
Galhampton, hamlet, North Cadbury par., mid.
Somerset, 2 miles SE. of Castle Cary; P.O.
Gall . See also Gaul .
Gallagh Hoad, ry. sta., in co. and 3½ miles NW. of
Londonderry ; P.O., called Galliagh.
Gallanach, vil., on Loch Gair (a western arm of
Loch Fyne), Argyllshire, 4½ miles SW. of Minard.
Gallanach House, seat, on Sound of Kerrera, Argyll¬
shire, 4 miles SW. of Oban.
Galland Bock, rock islet, 2½ miles NE. of Trevose
Head, E. Cornwall.
Gallangad Burn, Dumbartonshire ; rises near
Doughnot Hill, and flows first N. and then NE. along
the Stirlingshire border (as Catter Burn) to Endrick
AVater near Drymen sta.
Gallantry Bower, cliff on coast of N. Devon, on S.
side of Bideford Bay, 3 miles SE. of Hartland Point,
alt. 360 ft.
Gallatown (originally Gallowstown), vil., forming
N. suburb of Kirkcaldy, Fife.
Gallen.—bar., E. co. Mayo, 119,153 ac., pop. 39,129.
—2. Gallen, par., W. Kings co., on Grand Canal and
river Shannon, 3 miles NE. of Banagher, 19,166 ac.,
pop. 2613; contains part of Ferbane.
Gallen Priory, seat, in S. vicinity of Ferbane, N.
Gallcrns, vil., near Smerwiek, W. co. Kerry; in
vicinity are numerous antiquities.
Gallery House, seat, Logiepert par., Forfarshire, on
river North Esk, 5 miles NW. of Dubton sta. ; 2 miles
NAV. of Dubton sta. is the vil. of Upper Gallery.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)