cutting and polishing of marble. There is 1 distillery.
The extensive herring and other fisheries give em-
ployment to a large population living chiefly in the
suburb of Claddagh. Galway is the seat of one of the
Queens Colleges of Ireland. The bor. returns 1 mem-
ber to Parliament (2 members till 1885).
Galway Bay, between co. Clare andco. Galway; is 30
miles long and 23 miles wide across the entrance, where
the chain of the Aran Islands forms a natural break-
water ; has lights on Eeragh Island, Straw Island, Ini-
sheer Island, and Mutton Island.
Galyonu, vil., Ahoghill par., W. co. Antrim, 2 miles
W. of Ballymena, pop. 117; P.O.; in vicinity is the seat
of Galyorm Castle.
Gambles Green, hamlet, Alstonfield par., N. Staf-
fordshire, 2 miles NW. of Longnor.
Gainblesby.—township, Addingham par., E. Cum-
berland, 4 miles SE. of Kirkoswald, 4687 ac., pop. 269.
—2. Gainblesby, hamlet, Aikton par., E. Cumberland,
2 m. N. of Wigton. See Biglands and Gamblesby.
Gambol Hall, 4 miles W. of Athy, SW. co. Kildare.
Gambola, rivulet, W. co. Cork ; flows 9 miles SW.
to Bantry Bay, near Whiddy island.
Gamclands, 1 mile E. of Orton, Westmorland; here
are interesting British remains, called the Druidical
Gamcsclench Castle (16th century), ruin, Ettrick
par., Selkirkshire, on Ettrick Water, 1¼ mile E. of
Ettrick church; 2¼ miles E. of Ettrick church is
Gainesclcuch Hill, alt. 1490 ft.
GamesliopeLoch,Tweedsmuir par., Peeblesshire, 2m.
NE. of Hart Fell; is probably the highest sheet of water
(about 1850 ft. above sea-level) in the Southern High-
lands; Gamesliope Burn flows 4¾ m. N. to Talla Water.
Games ley, hamlet, in E. vicinity of Glossop, N.
Derbyshire; has remains of a Roman camp called
Gamesluck House, seat, 7 miles NW. of Driffield,
Gamlingay, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co. and 13¼
miles SAY. of Cambridge, 4143 ac., pop. 1925 ; P.O., T.O.
Gammersgill, hamlet, Coverham par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 5¼ miles SW. of Middleham.
Gamnba, Loch, in Rothiemurcus Forest, E. Inver-
ness-shire, near Loch an Eilein.
Gamper Bay, between Whitesand Bay and Lands
End, W. Cornwall.
Gamric, coast par., Banffshire, 17,041 ac., pop.
6756 ; contains Macduff ; the ruins of the ancient
church (St Johns; said to have been founded 1004) are
at the head of Gamrie Bay, ¼ mile W. of Gardenstown.
Gainst on.—township, West Bridgford par., in co.
and 3 miles SE. of Nottingham, pop. 95.—2. Gam-
don, par. and vil., N. Notts, on river Idle, 3¼ miles
S. of East Retford, 2000 ac., pop. 252; P.O.
Ganarew, par. and hamlet, on S. border of Here-
fordshire, 3 miles NE. of Monmouth, 835 ac., pop. 174.
Ganticld, hundred, NAY. Berks, 16,742 ac., pop.
3264; contains 5 pars, and parts of 2 others.
Gang Hill, 1¼ mile from Guildford sta., W. Surrey.
Ganilly, Great and Little, 2 of the Scilly Islands,
AY. Cornwall, N. of St Marys Island.
Ganish, islet, in Glengariff harbour, Bantry Bay,
AY. co. Cork.
Ganllwyd, 5 miles from Dolgelly, Merioneth; p.o. p
here is Ganllwyd Glen.
Ganncl Burn, stream, Clackmannanshire; forms
with Daiglen Burn the Burn of Tillicoultry.
Gunnels, The, rocks on E. side of Lundy island,
N. Devon, 18 miles from Clovelly.
Gannick Corner, hamlet, on N. border of Middlesex,
2 miles NE. of Barnet.
Ganniornick, Great and Little, 2 of the Scilly
Islands, W. Cornwall.
Gannoch, mountain, Birse par., Aberdeenshire, 4
miles NW. of Mount Battock, alt. 2396 ft.
Gannochy Bridge, bridge (1732), in a romantic spot
on the North Esk, on border of Forfar and Kincardine,
1 mile N. of Edzell and 3¼ miles SW. of Fettercairn.
Gannock, hamlet, Sandon par., Herts, 6 miles SW.
Gannow, eccl. dist., Whalley par., NE. Lancashire,
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)