Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Wednesday. The
prosperity of the town dates from 1829, when it was
made a bonding port. Large docks have since been
erected to meet the requirements of a rapidly extending
export and home trade. The exports are mostly coal,
machinery, and woollen goods. (For shipping statistics,
see Appendix.) Iron-founding, shipbuilding, and the mfr.
of alum, sugar, cordage, and agricultural implements
form the principal industries. Goole is a well-built
town, having numerous fine buildings and extensive
Goonhell, vil., in par. and 1 mile SE. of St Agnes,
Goonhavern, vil., in par. and 2 miles NE. of Perran-
zabuloe, W. Cornwall.
Goonhilly Downs, Cornwall, 3 m. E. of St Keverne.
Gooninnis, hamlet, in par. and SE. vicinity of St
Agnes, W. Cornwall.
Goonlake, vil., in par. and 1 mile SE. of St Agnes,
Goonown, vil., St Agnes par., W. Cornwall.
Goonvrea, vil. and seat, in par. and 1 mile SAY. of
St Agnes, W. Cornwall.
Goose Green, hamlet, in par. and 4½ mile SW. of
Wigan, SW. Lancashire; P.O.—2. Goose Green, dis¬
trict, Camberwell par., E. Surrey, near Dulwich, in
suburbs of London.
Goose Moor, hamlet, Church Eaton par., in co. and
5½ miles SW. of Stafford.
Gooseford, hamlet, South Tawtonpar., S. Devon,
2 miles E. of Okehampton.
Goosehaiu, hamlet, Moorwinstow par., E. Cornwall,
8 miles N. of Stratton.
Goosekulls, hamlet, Darfield par., S. div. AVest-
Riding Yorkshire, 2| miles S. of Barnsley.
Goosewarra, vil., St Agnes par., W. Cornwall.
Goosey, township, Stanford-in-the-Vale par., Berks,
3½ miles NAV. of AVantage, 968 ac., pop. 161.
Goosey, Loch, on border of Colmonell and Barr
pars., SE. Ayrshire.
Goosnargh with Newsham, township, Kirkham
par., N. Lancashire, 6½ miles N. of Preston, 8673 ac.,
pop. 1197 ; P.O., called Goosnargh.
Goostrey cum Barnshaw, township, Sandbachpar.,
mid. Cheshire, 6 miles S. of Knutsford, 1795 ac., pop.
365; P.O., called Goostrey.
Gop, hamlet, Newmarket par., Flintshire, 4 miles
NE. of Rhuddlan.
Gopsall, par., S. Leicestershire, 4½ miles NW. of
Market Bosworth, 600 ac., pop. 24; contains the seat
of Gopsall Hall.
Goragh Wood, ry. junction, 4 miles N. of Newry,
E. co. Armagh.
Gorbals, par., Glasgow, on S. side of river Clyde, 25
ac., pop. 5567 ; P.O., called Gorbals Cross.
Gordale Scar, wild ravine, N. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 6½ miles E. of Settle, traversed by G. Beck.
Gorddyn-mawr, earthworks, nr. Abergele, Denbigh.
Gordon, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Berwickshire
—par., 9713 ac., pop. 832; vil. (AVest Gordon), on Eden
AVater, 4 miles SW. of Greenlaw andll½ SAY. of Duns,
pop. 302; P.O.; from the 12th till the 14th century was
the seat of the Gordons, ancestors of the Duke of Rich¬
mond and Gordon and of the Marquis of Huntly.
Gordon, Port, Banffshire. See Port Gordon.
Gordon Arms Inn, Yarrow par., Selkirkshire, on
Yarrow Water, 13 miles SW. of Selkirk and 3 miles
NE. of St Marys Loch ; is a resort of anglers.
Gordon Castle, seat of the Duke of Richmond and
Gordon, Bellie par., on border of Banff and Elgin, near
right bank of river Spey, in N. vicinity of Fochabers ;
stands in a beautifully wooded deer park of 1300 ac.;
the ancient tower of the earls and marquises of Huntly
(1449-1684), in their time called Bog of Gight Castle,
rises behind the modern mansion.
Gordon Memorial (or Barlhol Chapel), quoad sacra
par., Fyvie, Methlic, Old Meldrum, and Tarves pars.,
Aberdeenshire, pop. 797.
Gordon Place and Dyce, vil., Dyce par., Aberdeen¬
shire, pop. 561. See Dyce.
Gordons Mills, vil., Resolis par., Ross and Cromarty,
on S. shore of Cromarty Firth, 2 m. S. of Invergordon.
Gordonsburgh, original name of Fort William.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)