Grangcsilvia, par., E. co. Kilkenny, on river Bur-
row, 4807 ac., pop. 1096 ; contains Goresbridge.
Grangewood House, seat, on W. border of Leicester-
shire, 7 miles SW. of Ashby de la Zouch.
Granlahan, school, Kintulla par., co. Roscommon.
Granny Kempoch, monolith, near Gourock Castle,
Granough, small affluent of the Shannon, co. Ros-
common, near Athlone.
Gransden, Great, par. and vil., Huntingdonshire, 7
miles SE. of St Neots, 3364 ac., pop. 636; p.o.
Gransden, Little, par., SW. Cambridgeshire, 34
miles SW. of Caxton, 1896 ac., pop. 243.
Granslta, 9 m. from Ballynahinch, co. Down; P.O.
Gransmoor, township, Burton Agnes par., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 7 m. NE. of Driffield, 1253 ac., pop. 84.
Granston, par., NAY. Pembrokeshire, 5 miles SW.
of Fishguard, 1639 ac., pop. 174.
Granstown, seat, 5 miles SE. of Ballybrophy ry.
sta., S. Queens co.
Grant Castle, Elginshire. See Castle Grant.
Grant Lodge, seat, in co. and near Elgin.
Grantclscstcr, par. and vil., on river Cam, in co. and
24 miles SAY. of Cambridge, 1591 ac., pop. 1147; P.O.,
Grantham.—pari, and mun. bor., market town, par.,
and township, S. Lincolnshire, 25 miles SW. of Lincoln
and 105 miles N. of London by rail—pari, bor., 5811
ac., pop. 17,345; mun. bor., 1676 ac., pop. 16,886; par.,
5560 ac., pop. 16,442 ; township, pop. 6080; 3 Banks, 2
newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. From its being
situated on the Roman road-called Ermine Street, it
has been assumed that Grantham was a strong Roman
station. The town was first incorporated by Edward IY.
in 1463. At the grammar-school Sir Isaac Newton
(1642-1727) was educated. With the exception of some
agricultural trade, some malting, and a few minor in-
dustries, Grantham has no great commercial importance.
It returns 1 member to Parliament.—2. Grantham,
soke, S. Lincolnshire, 27,505 ac., pop. 5422.
Grantham Grange, uninhabited par., Grantham
bor., S. Lincolnshire, 10 ac.
Grantham and Nottingham Canal, Lincoln, Lei-
cester, and Notts, extends from Grantham to the
Trent near Nottingham; is 30 miles long and was
made in 1793.
Grantley, township, Ripon par., E. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 54 miles SW. of Ripon, 772 ac., pop. 159;
P.O.; contains the seat of Grantley Hall.
Granton, seaport with ry. sta., Cramond and St
Cuthberts pars., Edinburghshire, on Firth of Forth, 2f
miles NW. of Edinburgh, 2 miles AY. of Leith, and 5
miles S. of Burntisland (to which there is a steamboat
ferry), pop. (including part of Wardie) 927 ; P.O., T.O.,
called Granton Harbour, 1 Bank. Granton Har-
bour affords refuge to large vessels in easterly gales.
The harbour works were commenced in 1835 by
the Duke of Buccleuch, the superior of the place.
They comprise 2 breakwaters, E. andW. (3170 and 3100
ft. long), and a pier (1700 ft. long), slips, jetties, and a
-patent slip for vessels of 1400 tons. Granton was made
a head port in 1860. It is the ferry station of the North
British Ry.; it is also the headquarters of several lines
of steamers (trading to Aberdeen, London, Norway,
Sweden, &c.) and of the fishery protection and preven-
tive vessels of the district. (For shipping statistics,
see Appendix.) The harbour has 3 fixed lights seen 8,
7, and 6 miles. There is a very fine tobacco bonding
warehouse at Granton. I11 the vicinity, at Caroline
Parle, is Granton Marine Station. Granton House,
seat, is 1 mile AY. of Granton; Granton Road, ry.
sta., is £ mile SE. of Granton sta.
Grantown, small market town with 2 ry. stations,
Cromdale par., SW. Elginshire, £ mile NE. of its sta.
on the Highland Ry., 1£ mile NAY. of its sta. on the
Great North of Scotland Ry., 234 miles S. of Forres,
24 SW. of Craigellachie Junction, and 1414 NW. of
Edinburgh, pop. 1374; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-
day, Friday. Grantown was founded in 1776 by Sir
James Grant, Bart., of Castle Grant (14 m. NE.). It is
pleasantly situated, and is coming into favour as a health
and holiday resort. Grantown has several annual fairs.
Grants Grove, hamlet, AYoodnesboroughpar., Kent.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)