Halstow, Lower, par. and vil., E. Kent, on creek of
the Medway, 44 miles NW. of Sittingbourne and 7 E.
of Rochester, 1555 ac., pop. 721; P.O., called Halstow.
Halsway, hamlet, Stogumber par., W. Somerset, 5
miles SE. of Watchet.
Halswell House, seat, 4 miles SW. of Bridgwater,
Haltemprice, par., East-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles
NW. of Hull, 209 ac., pop. 6.
Haltliam upon Bain, par., mid. Lincolnshire, 4
miles SW. of Horncastle, 2380 ac., pop. 179.
Halton.—par., mid. Bucks, on Wendover Canal, 4
miles SE. of Aylesbury, 1456 ac., pop. 195 ; contains
the seat of Halton House.—2. Halton, township and
ry. sta., Runcorn par., mid. Cheshire, 3 miles NE. of
Frodsham, 1896 ac. and 311 tidal water and foreshore,
pop. 1439; P.O.; contains the ruins of Halton Castle.
—3. Halton, par. and vil. withry. sta., N. Lancashire,
on river Lune, 24 miles NE. of Lancaster, 3914 ac. (110
water), pop. 731; P.O.—4. Halton, township, Cor-
bridge par., S. Northumberland, 5 miles NE. of Hex-
ham, 841 ac., pop. 206.—5. Halton, vil., Whitkirk
par., E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles E. of
Halton, East.—par. and vil., N. Lincolnshire, 34
miles NE. of Ulceby sta. and 7 miles SE. of Barton-on-
Humber, 5490 ac. (1570 water), pop. 647; P.O.—2.
Halton, East, township, N. div. West-Riding York-
shire, in par. and 34 miles NE. of Skipton, 1076 ac.,
Halton, West.—par., township, and vil., N. Lin-
colnshire, 8 miles W. of Barton-on-Humber—par., 4870
ac. (including part of Gunhouse in Frodingham par.),
pop. 362 ; township, pop. 266 ; P.O.—2. Halton, West,
township, Long Preston par., N. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, on river Ribble 64 miles S. of Settle, 2290
ac., pop. 142.
Halton Castle, ancient tower, S. Northumberland,
4 mile N. of Ay don.—2. Halton Castle, ruin, Cheshire.
Halton Gill, township, Arncliffe par., N. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Skirfare, 104 miles NE. of
Settle, 7862 ac., pop. 86.
Halton Holegate, par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Halton
Holgate), mid. Lincolnshire on river Steeping, 15 miles
NE. of Boston, 1320 ac., pop. 499; P.O., called Halton
Halton Lady and Halton Priors, 2 hamlets, Brom-
field par., S. Shropshire, 2 miles W. of Ludlow.
llalton Place, seat, near Hastings, E. Sussex.
Halton Quay, on river Tamar, E. Cornwall, 4 miles
SE. of Callington; lime is extensively shipped here,
and coal and timber imported.
Halton Shields, township, Corbridge par., S. North-
umberland, 54 miles NE. of Hexham, 467 ac., pop. 56.
Haltwhistle, market town, par., and township, S.
Northumberland, on river South Tyne, 144 miles W. of
Hexham—par., 58,512 ac. (613 water), pop. 6186;
township, 3133 ac. (46'water), pop. 2108; P.O., T.o., 3
Banks. Market-day, Thursday; is 14 mile S. of Roman
wall; contains 2 Border towers and other interesting
Halvergate, par., S. Norfolk, 7 m. W. of Yarmouth,
2675 ac., pop. 482; P.O.; contains the seat of H. Hall.
Halwell.—par. and vil., S. Devon, 5 miles SW. of
Totnes, 3666 ac., pop. 347.—2. Halwell, par. with ry.
sta. (Halwill), S. Devon, 12 miles NW. of Okehampton,
3426 ac., pop. 317; P.O.
Halyltill, eminence, at W. end of Forteviot vil.,
Perthshire ; site of the ancient capital of Pictavia.
Halzapliron, cliffs on S. side of Gunwalloe Cove,
W. Cornwall, 1 mile NW. of Mullion.
Ham.—hamlet and seat, Llantwit Major par., Gla-
morgan, 4 miles S. of Cowbridge.—2. Ham, hamlet,
Berkeley par., W. Gloucestershire, 3 miles S. of Ber-
keley. See Ham and Stone. — 3. Ham, tithing,
Baughurst par., N. Hants, 2 miles NE. of Kingsclere.
—4. Ham, par., E. Kent, 2 miles SW. of Sandwich,
321 ac., pop. 57.—5. Ham, hundred, Shepway lathe,
E. Kent, 6671 ac., pop. 1163 ; contains I par. and part
of another.—6. Ham, tithing, Pilton par., mid. Somer-
set, 2 miles SW. of Shepton Mallet.—7. Ham, hamlet,
North Curry and St Michael Creech pars., W. Somerset.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)