Harray and Kirsay, united par., in NW. of Main-
land, Orkney, 26,743 ac., pop. 2326; contains Harray,
vil-., 4 miles NW. of Einstown and 104 NW. of Kirk-
wall ; P.O. See Birsay.
Harridge, place, in vicinity of Rochdale, SE. Lanca-
shire ; has flannel mills.
Harrietsham, par. and vil. with ry. sta,., mid. Kent,
7 miles SE. of Maidstone, 2485 ac., pop. 679 ; P.O.
Harringay Honse, seat, near Hornsey sta., Mid-
Harrington.—small coast town and par. with ry sta.,
W. Cumberland, 44 miles N. of Whitehaven, 2360 ac.
and 199 foreshore, pop. 3019 ; P.O., T.o., 2 Banks ; has
shipbuilding, extensive coal mines, and blast furnaces.
On the pierhead is a fixed light (Harrington), 44 ft.
above high water, and seen 11 miles.—2. Harrington,
par., mid. Lincolnshire, 5 miles NW. of Spilsby, 1052
ac., pop. 123; in vicinity is the seat of Harrington
Hall.—3. Harrington, par. and vil., N. Northampton-
shire, 7 miles NW. of Kettering, 2519 ac., pop. 213;
P.O.; gives the title of earl to the Stanhope family.
Harringworth, par. and ry. sta., N. Northampton-
shire, on river Welland, 8 miles S. of Oakham, 3060
ac., pop. 364; P.O.
Harris, S. part of Lewis island, and par., Outer
Hebrides, Inverness—par., 123,757 ac., pop. 4814; P.O.,
T.O. ; the par. comprises (besides Harris proper) the
islands of Bernera, Ensay, Killigray, Pabbay, St Kilda,
Scalpa, Scarp, Scotsway, and Tarrensay; Harris,
Sound of (9 miles long, SE. and NW., and from
8 to 12 miles broad), between Harris and North Uist
island, is the only navigable channel, for large vessels,
through the Outer Hebrides.
Harris, High and Low, 2 hamlets, St Bees par., E.
Cumberland, near Whitehaven; in vicinity is H. Moor.
Harriseahcad, vil., Wolstanton par., N. Stafford-
shire, 2 miles N. of Newcastle-under-Lyme ; P.O.
Harrison Stickle, mountain peak, Westmorland,
64 miles NW. of Ambleside, alt. 2401 ft.; is the highest
of the Langdale Pikes.
Hurristown.—par., in co. and 4 miles SW. of Kil-
dare, 4666 ac., pop. 502.—2. Harristown, hamlet and
seat, 3 miles E. of Kilcullen, E. co. Kildare. — 3.
Harristown, seat, 6 miles SW. of Ballybrophy ry.
sta., SW. Queens co.; P.O.—4. Harristown, seat, 1
mile S. of Castlereagh, W. co. Roscommon.
Harrock Hall, seat, near Appley Bridge, Lancashire.
Harrogate, mun. bor., market town, and watering-
place, mostly in Knaresborough par., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 16 miles N. of Leeds and 198 miles
NW. of London, pop. 9482; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2
newspapers. Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday.
The industries of the district are wholly agricultural.
The prosperity of the town is attributable to the excel-
lence of its chalybeate, sulphureous, and saline springs,
which have long maintained a high reputation as
curative agents. Harrogate was incorporated 1883.
Harrold, par. and vil., on river Ouse, in co. and 9
miles NW. of Bedford, 3240 ac., pop. 1024; P.O., T.O.
narroldston, St Issells, par., Pembrokeshire, 1
mile SE. of Haverfordwest, 1150 ac., pop. 230.
Harroldston, West, par., Pembrokeshire, on St
Brides Bay, 54 miles W. of Haverfordwest, 1718 ac.,
Harrop, hamlet, Prestbury par., E. Cheshire, 5 miles
NW. of Macclesfield.
Harrop Edge, hamlet, in par. and 3 miles NW. of
Bradford, N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Harrop Fold, hamlet, Whalley par., N. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 11 miles NW. of Clitheroe.
Harrop Tarn, lakelet, on S. border of W. Cumber-
land, S. of Thirlmere, near Wythburn.
Harrow (or Harrow on the Hill), town and par.
with ry. sta., Middlesex, 10 miles NW. of London—
par., 10,027 ac., pop. 10,277; town, pop. 5558 ; P.O.,
T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. The celebrity of Harrow
is due to its school, which was founded by John Lyon
in 1571. The institution is conducted on principles
similar to those which regulate Eton College, and, like
the latter, Harrow has the honour of being the school
at which some very distinguished men have been edu-
cated. Members of tbe governing body are chosen by
tbe Lord Chancellor, the Universities of Oxford, Cam-
bridge, and London, the Royal Society, and the assistant
masters of the school. Up to 1837 the education given
was exclusively classical; it now embraces every chief
department of modern culture.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)