Heaton Shay, district, in par. and NAY. suburbs of
Bradford, E. div. West-Riding Yorkshire.
Heaton with ©xcliffc, township, Lancaster par., in
co. and 2g miles SW. of Lancaster, 2036 ac., pop. 136.
Heaves Lodge, seat, 3 miles N. of Milnthorpe, West-
Heavitree, par. and vil., E. Devon—par., mostly in
Exeter city, 3483 ac., pop. 4561; pop. of city part,
4136; vil., 1 mile E. of Exeter; P.O., T.O.
Hcbburn.—town with ry. sta., Jarrow par., N.
Durham, on river Tyne, 3 miles SW. of South Shields,
pop. 11,802; P.O., T.O.; also P.O. at llebbnrn Col¬
liery and P.O. at Hcblmrn New Town; 1 Bank;
chemical works and shipbuilding employ most of the
inhabitants; in vicinity is the seat of Hebburn Hall.
—2. Hebburn, township, Chillingham par., N. North¬
umberland. See Hepburn.—3. Hebhurn (Hebron, or
Heplmrn), eccl. dist. and township, Bothal par., N.
Northumberland—dist., pop. 506; township, 2½ miles
N. of Morpeth, 1090 ac., pop. 90.
Hebden.—township, Linton par., N. div. AYest-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Wharfe, 8 miles NE. of
Skipton, 3583 ac., pop. 313; P.O.; contains Hebden
Moor.—2. Hebden, river, N. div. West-Riding York¬
shire ; rises on AY. border, and flows 8 miles SE. to the
Calder at Hebden Bridge.
Hebden Bridge, town with ry. sta., Halifax par.,
on river Hebden, N. div. AVest-Riding Yorkshire, 4
miles NE. of Todmorden sta. and 8 miles NW. of
Halifax, pop. 5007; P.O., t.o., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper;
has mfrs. of cotton, silk, calicoes, and fustians; it has
also dyeworks and iron foundries.
Hebrides, The (or Western Islands), the collective
name of the islands on the W. coast of Scotland; area,
(about) 1,800,000 ac.; pop. 82,335. About 100 of them
are inhabited. They are geographically divided into
the Inner Hebrides, comprising the 3 groups of Islay,
Mull, and Skye, and extending from The Aird, in N.
of Skye, to the Mull of Islay, a distance of 150 miles ;
the Outer Hebrides (separated from the Inner Hebrides
by the Minch), or The Long Island, comprising Lewis,
Harris, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist, Barra, &c.,
and extending from the Butt of Lewis to Barra Head,
a distance of 130 miles ; and the small St Kilda group,
about 60 miles W. of the Outer Hebrides. Anciently
they comprehended also the islands in the Firth of
Clyde, the peninsula of Kintyre, the island of Rathlin,
and the Isle of Man. They are politically divided
between the shires of Ross, Inverness, and Argyll.
The principal towns are Stornoway, in Lewis ; Tober¬
mory, in Mull; Bowmore, in Islay; and Portree, in
Skye. The Hebrides are the Hebrides of Pliny, and
the Sudreys, or Southern Islands, of the Norwegians,
by whom they were held from the close of the 9th
century till 1266, when they were transferred to Scot¬
land. In 1346 they fell under the sway of the Lords
of the Isles, who for nearly 200 years affected inde¬
pendent sovereignty; and they continued to be the
scene of turbulence until the abolition of heritable juris¬
dictions in 1748. The humid climate of the Hebrides
is unsuitable for corn crops, and only a comparatively
small portion of the soil is arable. The principal crops
are oats, barley, and potatoes. Much of the surface is
occupied by sheep-farms and moors. Besides the rais¬
ing of cattle and sheep, and distilling (principally in
Islay), the only important industry is the fisheries, of
which Stornoway is the chief seat on the W. coast of
Scotland. The mfr. of kelp, which was at one time
extensively carried on, is now almost extinct. The
Hebrides are visited by great numbers of tourists, and
have regular steamboat communication with Oban and
Glasgow. There are lighthouses at the Butt of Lewis,
Stornoway, Monach islands, Scalpay island, Ushenish,
and Barra Head.
Hehron.—5 miles SE. of Llanboidy sta., Carmar¬
thenshire ; P.O.—2. Hehron, township, Northumber¬
land. See Hebburn.
Heck, township and ry. «t,a., Snaiih par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, 8½ miles S. of Selby, 1677 ac.,
pop. 226; contains the hamlets of Great Heck and
Heck, vil., Lochmaben par., Dumfriesshire, near
river Annan, 3 miles SW. of Lockerbie.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)