Leicestershire, 14| miles SAY. of Leicester — par.,
6190 ac., pop. 8934; township and town, pop.
7673; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-
day, Monday. Hinckley is an ancient town, on the
line of Watling Street. It was made a barony soon
after the Conquest. The chief object of interest is the
Gothic church of St Mary, which has been restored.
Hosiery is the staple trade, but there is also a thriving
industry in the mfr. of boots and shoes. Interesting
Roman relics abound in and about the town.
Hlncksey, in N. of Berks, 1 mile S. of Oxford; P.O.
See Hinksey, North, and Hinksey, South.
Hindimrn, river, N. Lancashire ; rises on E. border
of co., and flows 9 miles NW. to the Lune at Hornby.
Hinderclay, par., W. Suffolk, 2 miles NW. of Botes-
dale, 1458 ac., pop. 306; p.o.
Hinders Lane and Dockham, par., W. Gloucester-
shire, near Westbury-on-Severn, 8 ac., pop. 280.
Hinder well, coast par., township, and vil. with ry.
sta., North-Riding Yorkshire, 10 miles NW. of Whitby
—par., 4906 ac., pop. 2653; township, 1655 ac., pop.
2467 ; P.O.; has fisheries and extensive iron mines.
llindford, hamlet, AVhittington par., N. Shropshire,
on Ellesmere Canal, 3 miles NE. of Oswestry.
Hindhead, hill-ridge and common, on SW. border
of W. Surrey, 2 miles NW. of Haslemere.
Hindlctbwaite, hamlet, Coverham par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 5| miles SW. of Middleham.
Hindley, township and ry. sta., in par. and 24 miles
SE. of Wigan, SW. Lancashire, 2611 ac., pop. 14,715 ;
P.O., T.O.; has extensive coal mines, and is a local
Hindley Division, pari. div. of SAY. Lancashire,
Hindley Green, hamlet with ry. sta., in par. and
3| miles SE. of AYigan, SW. Lancashire ; P.O.
Hindlip (or Hinlip), par., in co. and 3 miles NE. of
AYorcester, 1350 ac., pop. 260; contains the seat of
Hindolveston, par. and vil. with ry. sta., N. Nor-
folk, 2 miles S. of Melton Constable sta., 2490ac., pop.
Uindon, par. and vil., S. Wilts, 9 miles SE. of War-
minster, 212 ac., pop. 554; P.O., T.o.; was a pari. bor.
until 1832 ; in vicinity of vil. is the seat of II. House.
llindringhain, par. and vil., N. Norfolk, 3 miles
SE. of New Walsingham, 3313 ac., pop. 588; P.O.
Hindscartli, eminence, W. Cumberland, at head of
Newlands Vale, 44 miles SW. of Keswick.
Hlne.—sea-lough, 4 miles S. of Skibbereen, S. co.
Cork.—2. Hine, rivulet, S. co. Roscommon; flows 8
miles E. to Lough Ree.
Hinghaan, par. and vil., S. Norfolk, 6 miles NAV. of
Wymondham, 3649 ac., pop. 1554; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Hingston Down, hill-range, on E. border of E. Corn-
wall, extending 4 miles E. from near Callington to river
Tamar, and reaching in Kit Hill an alt. of 1067 ft.
llinkeston. See Hinxton.
Hinksey, North, par. and vil., N. Berks, on river
Thames—par., partly in Oxford city, 876 ac., pop. 527 ;
pop. of city part, 284; vil., 1 mile SAY. of Oxford; P.O.,
Hinksey, South, par. and vil., N. Berks, on river
Thames—par., partly in Oxford city, 651 ac., pop. 956;
pop. of city part 773 ; vil., 14 mile S. of Oxford ; P.O.,
Hinksford, hamlet, Wombourne par., W. Stafford-
shire, 24 miles SW. of Wolverhampton.
Hinlip, Worcester. See Hindlip.
Hinnisdal, stream, Skye isl. See Glen Hinnisdal.
Hinstock, par. and vil., N. Shropshire, 54 miles S.
of Market Drayton, 3266 ac., pop. 863; P.O.; in vicinity
of vil. is the seat of Hinstock Hall.
Hintlcsham, par. and vil., E. Suffolk, 44 miles NE.
of Hadleigh, 2828 ac., pop. 569; P.O.; in vicinity of
vil. is the seat of lllntleshain Hall.
Hinton.—ry. sta., E. Gloucestershire, 3£ miles SAY.
of Evesham. See Hinton on the Green.—2. Hinton,
township, Berkeley par., W. Gloucestershire, 7 miles
NE. of Thornbury, 1914 ac. (62 water) and 1611 tidal
water and foreshore, pop. 1313.—3. Hinton, hamlet,
E. Gloucestershire, 3 miles S. of Chipping Sudbury.
See Dirham and Hinton.—4. Hinton, hamlet, and
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)