Horn, township, Exton par., Rutland, on Ermine
Street, 5| miles NW. of Stamford, 1205 ac., pop. 33;
at Bloody Oaks, here, the Lancastrians were (1470) de-
feated by Edward IY.
Horn Head, on W. side of entrance to Sheep Haven,
N. co. Donegal.
Horn Hill, eminence, W. Dorset, 2 miles NW. of
Beaminster; a tunnel 200 ft. long takes through the
road from Beaminster to Crewkerne.
Horn Park.—seat, 34 miles NW. of Bromley, AY.
Kent.—2. Horn Park, place, W. Kent, near Lewisham.
Horn Street, hamlet, Cheriton par., E. Kent, 1 mile
NW. of Sandgate.
Hornblotton, par., mid. Somerset, on the Fosse Way,
44 miles NAY. of Castle Cary, 1082 ac., pop. 113.
Hornby.—township and vil. with ry. sta., Melling '
par., N. Lancashire, at confluence of rivers Wenning
and Lune, 84 miles NE. of Lancaster, 1961 ac. (58
water), pop. 358 ; P.O., T.O. — 2. Hornby, hamlet,
Brougham par., Westmorland, on river Eamont, 3
miles E. of Penrith.—3. Hornby, par. and township,
North-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NE. of Newton-le-
Willows—par., 6463 ac. (including part of Patrick
Brompton par.), pop. 451; township, 1591 ac., pop. 90;
contains Hornby Castle, seat of the Duke of Leeds.—
4. Hornby, township, Great Smeaton par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, 74 miles N. of Northallerton, 1828
ac., pop. 258.
Hornby Cave, Great Ormes Head, Carnarvonshire.
Horncastle (or South Lindsey) Hivision, pari. div.
of Lincolnshire, pop. 48,893.
Horncastle.—market town and par., with ry. sta.,
mid. Lincolnshire, on river Bain, at foot of the AA'olds,
21 miles E. of Lincoln and 130 miles from London, 1818
ac., pop. 4818; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day,
Saturday. Horncastle has an important trade in
corn and wool, also in malting and brewing. In addi-
tion to its weekly market 3 fairs are held, the horse
fair being one of the largest in the United Kingdom.
Remains of Roman fortifications and other antiquities
abound in the neighbourhood.—2. Horncastle, soke,
Lincolnshire, 24,780 ac., pop. 10,008; contains 15 pars.
Hornchurch.—par. and vil., S. Essex, between rivers
Rom and Ingerburn, 2 miles SE. of Romford, 6784 ac.
and 138 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 2824; P.O., T.o.;
has iron-founding and mfrs. of steam engines, boilers,
agricultural implements, bricks, tiles, drain pipes, &c.
Horncliffe, township and vil., Norham par., N.
Northumberland, on river Tweed, 44 miles SW. of
Berwick on Tweed, 602 ac., pop. 348; P.O.; the river
is crossed by a suspension bridge 368 ft. long, 18 ft.
wide, and 27 ft. above the water.
Horncroft, place, Bury par., W. Sussex, 5 miles N.
Horndcan, vil., Catherington par., N. Hants, 4:)
miles NW. of Havant; P.O., T.O.
Horndean, ancient par. and vil., Ladykirk par., SE.
Berwickshire; the vil. is 74 miles NE. of Coldstream.
Horndon, vil., St Mary Tavy par., S. Devon, on W.
side of Dartmoor.
Horndon, East, par. and vil., S. Essex, 4 miles SW.
of Billericay, 1529 ac., pop. 504.
Horndon, West, par., S. Essex, 2 miles SE. of
Brentwood ry. sta., 1396 ac., pop. 75.
Horndon-on-the-Hill, par. and vil., S. Essex, 2
miles NE. of Orsett, 2649 ac., pop. 592; P.O., T.O.
Horne, vil., Horne with Harrowsley par., E. Surrey,
6 miles NW. of East Grinstead. See Horne with
Horne Farm, place, near Appledore, W. Kent.
Horne with Harrowsley, par., E. Surrey, 6 miles
NW. of East Grinstead, 4594 (46 water), pop. 698.
Horner, hamlet, Luckham par., E. Somerset, 5 miles
SW. of Minehead.
Hornes Place, seat, Caxton par., mid. Kent.
Hornet, hamlet, Rumbolds Wyke par., E. Sussex,
Horntleazow, hamlet, Stanway par., E. Gloucester-
shire, 4 miles NE. of Winchcomb.
Horning, par. and vil., S. Norfolk, on river Bure, 9^
miles NE. of Norwich, 2567 ac., pop. 435 ; P.O.
Hornlnghold, par. and vil., S. Leicestershire, 84
miles NE. of Market Harborough, 1205 ac., pop. 126.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)