llurlford, town and quoad sacra par. with ry. sta.,
Riccarton par., Ayrshire—quoad sacra par. (partly also
in Galston and Kilmarnock pars.), pop. 4699; town, on
river Irvine, 2 miles SE. of Kilmarnock, pop. (including
Barleith, and the vil. of Crookedholm in Kilmarnock
par.) 4385; P.O., T.O.; has ironworks, fire-clay works,
and a worsted spmnrag-mill, and in the vicinity are
Uurlstone Point, crag, on E. side of Porlock Bay,
Hurly llawkin, site of ancient castle, at Liff, For-
farshire, 4£ miles NW. of Dundee.
Hum, hamlet, on river Stour, in par. and 3 miles
NW. of Christchurch, S. Hants.
Hurry, hamlet, Romald Kirk par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, 6£ miles NW. of Barnard Castle.
Hursey, hamlet, Burstock par., Dorset, 5 miles S.
Hursley, par. and vil., N. Hants, 5 miles SW. of
Winchester, 10,726 ac., pop. 1389 j P.O. Hursley
church was rebuilt in 1848 by the vicar, John Keble
(1792-1866), author of the Christian Year, whose tomb
is in the churchyard ; in vicinity of vil. is the seat of
Hurst.—par. and vil., E. Berks, 3 miles NW. of
Wokingham, 6898 ac., pop. 2868 ; P.O.—2. Hurst, vil.,
Moreton par., Dorset, 7 miles E. of Dorchester.—3.
Hurst, hamlet, Dilwyn par., Herefordshire, near
Weobly.—4. Hurst, par., E. Kent, partly in Romney
Marsh, 6§ miles SE. of Ashford, 461 ac., pop. 31; con-
tains Hurst House, a noted haunt of smugglers in
former times.—5. Hurst, hamlet, in par. and vicinity
of Bexley, W. Kent.—6. Hurst, town, Ashton-under-
Lyne par., SE. Lancashire, within the parliamentary
limits of Ashton-under-Lyne, 540 ac., pop. 6384.—
7. Hurst, township, Woodhorn par., N. Northumber-
land, miles NE. of Morpeth, 402 ac., pop. 27.—
8. Hurst, hamlet, Martock par., Somerset, 2 miles
NE. of South Petherton.—9. Hurst, hamlet, Whit-
tington par., E. Staffordshire, 3 miles E. of Lichfield.
—10. Hurst, vil., Stoneleigh par., S. Warwickshire,
4£ miles SW. of Coventry.—IB. Hurst, hamlet, Marrick
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles NE. of Reeth.
See Marrick with Hurst.
Hurst, Higher, vil., in par. and 1 mile NE. of
Ashton-under-Lyne, SE. Lancashire.
Hurst, Old, par., Huntingdonshire, 4 miles NW. of
St Ives, 1350 ac., pop. 124 ; P.O.
Hurst, The, seat, 4 miles S. of Bishops Castle, S.
Hurst Brook, eccl. dist., Ashton-under-Lyne par.,
SE. Lancashire, pop. 6364.
Hurst Castle, fortress, Hordle par., S. Hants, on
end of narrow peninsula at W. entrance to the Solent;
was a place of importance during the Civil War, and
was for some days the prison of Charles I. previous to
his trial. At rear of the point of fortifications are
two lighthouses 85 and 52 ft. high, with fixed lights
(Hurst) 76 and 46 ft. above high water, and seen 13
and 10 miles.
Hurst Green, eccl. dist. and vil., Mitton par., NE.
Lancashire—dist., pop. 1663 ; vil., 6^ miles N. of Black-
burn ; P.O., called llurstgrecii.
Hurstake, hamlet, Isle of Wight, on river Medina,
Hursthourne, ry. sta., 2 miles W. of Whitchurch
sta., N. Hants.
Hursthourne Priors, par. and vil., N. Hants, 2
miles S. of Hursthourne sta. and miles NE. of
Andover, 3249ac., pop. 409; P.O.; Hursthourne Park,
seat of the Earl of Portsmouth, is near the vil.
Hursthourne Tarrant, par. and vil., N. Hants, on
river Swift, 4^ miles NW. of Hurstbourne sta. and 5£
miles N. of Andover, 5149 ac., pop. 837; P.O.; has
church of 12th century.
Hurstfield, vil., Rochdale par., S. div. West-Riding
Hiirstgrecn.—hamlet, Salehurst par., E. Sussex, 7
miles N. of Battle; P.O., T.o.—2. Hurstgreen, vil.,
Mitton par., NE. Lancashire, 6£ miles N. of Black-
burn ; p.o. See Hurst Green.
Hursting Down, place, Owslebury par., N. Hants,
4£ miles SE. of Winchester.
Hurstingstone, hundred, Huntingdonshire, 70,558
ac., pop. 14,781; contains 23 pars, and part of-another.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)