'Kilcroan, par., NE. co. Galway, on river Suck, 2
miles SW. of Ballymoe ry. sta., 7701 ac., pop. 1347.
Kllcrohane. — par. and hamlet, SW. co. Cork,
between Bantry and Dunmanus Bays, 13 miles SW. of
Bantry, 14,587 ac., pop. 2565 ; P.O., called Kilcrohan.
—2. Kllcrohane, par., SAV. co. Kerry, on Kenmare
River, 62,912 ac., pop. 8295; contains Sneem.
Kilcronaghan, par., S. co. Londonderry, on river
Moyola, 2 miles E. of Draperstown, 7979 ac., pop. 2634.
Kilcruinp, Whitechurch par., mid. co. Waterford;
has black marble quarries.
Kilcruinper, par., NE. co. Cork, 2 miles N. of Fer-
moy, 3515 ac., pop. 510.
Kilciillane, par., mid. co. Limerick, 3 miles NE. of
Bruff, 1389 ac., pop. 657.
Kilcnllen.—town and par., E. co. Kildare, on river
Liffey, 5 miles S. of Newbridge ry. sta.—par., 7330 ac.,
pop. 1757; town, pop. 783 ; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank. Market-
day, Saturday. Some ruins of Old Kilcullen, once a
walled town, crown an eminence, 2 miles to the S.—
2. Kilcnllen, bar., E. co. Kildare, 8478 ac., pop. 1916.
Kilculliheen.—bar., E. co. AVaterford, 2137 ac.,
pop. 875.-2. Kilculliheen, par., E. co. Waterford, and.
partly within the city of AVaterford, 2237 ac., pop. 1907.
Kilcully, par., in co. and 3 miles N. of Cork, 1760
ac., pop. 329.
Kilcniuiuer, par., NE. co. Cork, on rivers Awbeg
and Blackwater, 2 miles S. of Castletownroche, 2612
ac., pop. 316.
Kilcnnunin.—par., W. co. Galway, between Kil-
kieran Bay and Lough Corrib, 98,509 ac., pop. 9147;
contains Oughterard.—2. Kilcummin, par. and ham-
let, E. co. Kerry, 4 miles NE. of Killarney, 38,952 ac.,
pop. 6316; P.O.—3. Kilcummin, seat, 6 miles NE. of
Banagher, N. Kings co.—4. Kilcummin, par., N. co.
Mayo, on Killala Bay, 4 miles NE. of Ballycastle, 4195
ac., pop. 1465 ; contains Rathlacken.
Kilcumny, par., N. co. Westmeath, 2918 ac., pop.
445; contains Collinstown.
Kilcumreragh, par., Kings co. and co. AVestmeath,
4 miles N. of Clara, 9257 ac., pop. 1492.
Kilcnnny, vil., co. Oavan. See KlLCONNY.
Kilcnrry, 3 miles from Forkill, S. co. Armagh, on
river Kilcurry; P.O.
KiMacommoge, par., mid. co. Mayo, 5 miles NE. of
Castlebar, 7552 ac., pop. 2663.
Kildale, par. and ry. sta., North-Riding Yorkshire,
6 m. W. of Castleton, and 17 m. NE. of Stockton, 5192
ac., pop. 280 ; P.O.; contains the seat of Kildale Hall.
Kildalkey, par., hamlet, and seat, W. co. Meath,
3J miles S. of Athboy, 10,415 ac., pop. 1691; P.O.
Kildalloig, seat, in par. and 3 miles SE. of Camp-
beltown, Kintyre, Argyllshire, on the coast.
Kildallon, par., AV. co. Cavan, 2 miles NW. of
Killashandra, 11,980 ac., pop. 2167.
Kildalton, par. and seat, in SE. of Islay island,
Argyllshire—par., 47,152 ac., pop. 2270; the seat is 5
miles NE. of Port Ellen.
Kildangan, par., in AV. of co. and 4 miles SW. of
Kildare, on river Barrow, 1008 ac., pop. 125 ; P.O.
Kildaragh, school, Clonahorky par., co. Donegal.
Kildare.—inland co. of Leinster province, Ireland;
is bounded N. by co. Meath, E. by cos. Dublin and
Wicklow, S. by co. Carlow, and W. by Queens and
Kings cos.; greatest length, N. and S., 42 miles;
greatest breadth, E. and W., 28 miles ; average breadth,
15 miles; area, 418,496 ac. (994 water), or 2 per cent,
of the total area of Ireland; pop. 75,804, of whom 87‘0
per cent, are Roman Catholics, 112 Episcopalians, 1*0
Presbyterians, and 0'5 Methodists. The surface is
mostly fiat, and there is much excellent land, both
arable and pasture. The NW. division of the co.
belongs to the Bog of Allen. Much of the soil consists
of a fine, dry loam, on a sandy bottom. The Curragh
Common is a fine, extensive sheep-walk. (For agricul-
tural statistics, see Appendix.) Fine marble is quarried
to the W. of the town of Kildare. The rivers are the
Liffey in the NE., the Boyne on the NW. border, and
the Barrow on the W. The co. is traversed by the
Grand Canal and its branches, by the Royal Canal on
the N. border, and by the lines of the Great Southern
and Western and the Midland Great Western railways.
Agriculture is the chief industry; cotton, woollens, and
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)