Kirkby in Ashfield, par. and vil. with ry. sta.
(Kirkby), Notts, in W. of co., 5 miles SW. of Mans-
field and 12 miles NW. of Nottingham, 5814 ac., pop.
4212 ; P.O.; has coal mines ; framework knitting is an
industry among the inhabitants; in vicinity of vil. is
the seat of Kirkby Old Hall.
Kirkby In Cleveland, par. and township, North-
Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles SE. of Stokesley—par., 4799
ac., pop. 810; township, 1708 ac., pop. 244.
Kirkby in Fnrncss, N. Lancashire, 3 miles SE. of
Foxfield Junction; p.o. See Kirkby Ireleth.
Kirkby in Malham Dale (or Kirkby Malham), par.,
N. div. AVest-Riding Yorkshire, on river Aire, 5 miles
SE. of Settle, 23,777 ac., pop. 821.
Kirkby le Thorpe, par. and vil., Lincolnshire, 2
miles E. of Sleaford, 157 ac., pop. 25; P.O., called
Kirkby on Bain, 5 miles SW. of Horncastle, Lin-
colnshire ; p.o. See Kirkby upon Bain.
Kirkby on the Mill, township, Kirkby Ravensworth
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles NW. of Rich-
mond, 227 ac., pop. 81.
Kirkby upon Balu, par., township, and vil., Lin-
colnshire— par., 5110 ac., pop. 580; township, pop.
261; vil., on river Bain, 5 miles SAY. of Horncastle;
P.O., called Kirkby on Bain.
Kirkcaldy, pari, and royal burgh, par., and manu-
facturing and seaport town, Fife, on Firth of Forth,
15 miles N. of Edinburgh and 402 miles NW. of
London by rail—par., 1177 ac., pop. 8528 ; pari, burgh,
pop. 15,056; royal burgh, pop. 23,288; town, pop.
23,315; 5 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Satur-
day. The royal burgh, extended 1876, embraces the
burgh, parliamentary beyond royal, of Dysart, and
includes Linktown in AbbotshaU par., Invertiel in
Kinghorn par., and Pathhead, Sinclairtown, and
Gallatown, in Dysart par. The town, from the great
length of its main street, is known as the Lang
Toun. Kirkcaldy was made a burgh of regality in
1334, holding of the abbots of Dunfermline, and a
royal burgh in 1450, but almost the only relic of
antiquity is the tower of the parish church. The prin-
cipal architectural ornament of the town is St Bryce-
dale Free Church (1881); it is in the Early English
style, and has a fine spire 210 ft. high. Kirkcaldy has
long been known for its mfr. of linen cloth—sheetings,
towellings, ticks, dowlas, &c.—and it has some of the
largest floor-cloth and linoleum works in the world; it
has also machine works, potteries, &c. The shipping
trade has undergone many fluctuations, but the im-
provements and extensions of the harbour are expected
to give it a character of greater stability. (For ship-
ping statistics, see Appendix.) Kirkcaldy has numerous
ecclesiastical, educational, and literary institutions,
including 2 public libraries. Adam Smith (1723-1790),
author of the Wealth of Nations, was a native. The
parliamentary burgh of Kirkcaldy was extended in 1885,
so as to include so much of the municipal burgh as is
not comprised within the parliamentary burgh of Dysart.
The Kirkcaldy District of Parliamentary Burghs
(Kirkcaldy, Burntisland, Dysart, and Kinghorn, all in
Fife) returns 1 member.
Kirkcantbeck, vil., Kirk Linton par., Cumberland,
on Cam Beck, 5 miles NE. of Brampton ; P.O.
Klrkckrist, ancient par., now in Twynbolm par.,
Kirkcudbright; its churchyard and ruined church are
on the river Dee, opposite Kirkcudbright.
Kirkdaugh, seat, Anwoth par., Kirkcudbright, 6
miles SW. of Gatehouse-of-Fleet.
Kirkcolin, par. and vil., NAV. Wigtownshire, on W.
side of Loch Ryan—par., 13,318 ac., pop. 1847 ; vil., 5|
miles NW. of Stranraer, pop. 332; P.O., T.O.; the vil.
is also called Stewarton.
Kirkconnel.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., NW.
Dumfriesshire—par., 26,660 ac., pop. 1019; vil., on
river Nith, 3J miles NW. of Sanquhar, pop. 464; P.O.;
1 mile AAr. of vil. are 2 mineral springs.—2. Kirk-
connel, ancient par., nowin Kirkpatrick-Flemingpar.,
SE. Dumfriesshire ; the churchyard, on Kirtle Water,
2 miles NE. of Kirtlebridge, contains the grave of
Fair Helen of Kirkconnel Lee.
Kirkconncll Hall, mansion, Hoddam par., Dum-
friesshire, in N. vicinity of Ecclefechan.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)