Klrkconnell Honse, seat, Troqueer par., E. Kirk-
cudbright, on river Nith, 7 miles S. of Dumfries.
KirkconneU Moor, Tongland par., Kirkcudbright.
Kirkcormac, ancient par., now in Kelton par.,
Kirkcudbright; the churchyard and ruined church are
on river Dee, 4\ miles SW. of Castle Douglas.
Kirkcowan, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Wigtown-
shire—par., 35,865 ac., pop. 1307; vil., on Tarf Water,
6 miles SW. of Newton-Stewart, pop. 671; P.O., T.o.;
in vicinity are woollen mills.
Klrkcnbbln, vil., co. Down. See Kiecubbin.
Kirkcudbright, pari, and royal burgh, par., and co.
town of Kirkcudbrightshire—par., 12,280 ac., pop. 3479;
pari, burgh, royal burgh, and town, on river Dee, at its
influx into Kirkcudbright Bay, 30 miles SW. of Dum-
fries and 354 miles NW. of London by rail, pop. 2571;
P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Friday. Kirkcud-
bright, long a burgh of regality, was made a royal
burgh in 1455. Its antiquities are numerous—vestiges
of an ancient castle of the Lords of Galloway, visited
by Edward I., James II., Henry VI., and James IV.;
the ruins of a castle built (1528) by Sir Thomas
Maclellan of Bombie, ancestor of the Lords Kirkcud-
bright ; the site of a monastery of the Grey Friars;
and the old Court-house and Jail, a quaint edifice of
the 16th*century, now partly used as a Volunteer drill
hall and armoury. In front of this building is the
ancient market cross. Kirkcudbright has almost no
mfrs., and its trade is purely local. Its harbour (Kirk-
cudbright Bay) is the most spacious, most accessible,
and most safe in the S. of Scotland, but it is suitable
only for small vessels, and tbe commerce is confined to
the coast. On Little Ross island, at the mouth of the
bay, is a lighthouse with flashing light (Little Ross) seen
18 miles. Regular steam communication is maintained
with Liverpool. Kirkcudbright is one of the Dumfries
District of Pari. Burghs, which returns 1 member.
Kirkcudbrightshire, maritime co. in S. of Scotland;
is bounded NW. by Ayrshire, NE. by Dumfriesshire,
SE. by the Solway Firth, and SW. by Wigtownshire ;
greatest length, NW. and SE., 46 miles; greatest
breadth, NE. and SAV., 31 miles; 574,587 ac., pop.
42,127. Kirkcudbrightshire is also known as the
Stewartry of Kirkcudbright and East Galloway.
The coast line, which extends, in semicircular form,
from the head of Wigtown Bay to the mouth of the
Nith, a distance of 45 miles, is in general bold and pre-
cipitous, but is broken by the estuaries of the Nith, the
Urr, the Dee, the Fleet, and the Cree, which form
natural harbours, the principal seaports being Kirkcud-
bright, Gatehouse-of-Fleet, and Creetown. In the
NAV. the co. is mountainous, with deep glens, and
numerous small lochs; in the SE.—except in the ex-
treme SE. corner—it is for the most part level but
undulating. Most of tbe soil in the higher regions is
moorland and marsh; in the lower it is better suited
for grass and green crops than for grain, and great
attention is paid to the rearing of cattle. (For agricul-
tural statistics, see Appendix.) Granite is quarried,
and lead, iron, and copper exist, but are little worked.
The mfrs. comprise linen, cotton, and woollen goods,
and paper. Deep-sea fishing is carried on in the Solway
Firth, and salmon-fishing at the mouths of the rivers,
especially the Dee and the Urr. The co. contains 28
pars., the parliamentary and royal burgh of Kirkcud-
bright (part of the Dumfries Burghs), the royal burgh of
New Galloway, and the police burghs of Castle Douglas,
Dalbeattie, Gatehouse, and Maxwelltown. Kirkcud-
brightshire returns 1 member to Parliament.
Kirkcndbrlght-Innertlg, former name of Ballan-
trae par., Ayrshire.
Kirkdale.—township and ry. sta., Walton on the
Hill par., SW. Lancashire, on N. side and wholly
within the bor. of Liverpool, 926 ac., pop. 58,145;
has the Huskisson and Canada Docks, the county jail,
and the Kirkdale Pleasure Grounds. — 2. Kirkdale,
par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on river Bran, 8 miles
NW. of Pickering, 9686 ac., pop. 987; in Kirkdale
Cave (300 ft. long, discovered in 1821), great quantities
of fossils have been found.
Kirkdale Division, The, pari. div. of Liverpool,
comprising the township of Kirkdale and part of the
township of Everton, pop. (estimated) 69,361.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)