Abbey (founded first at Barnoldswick in 1147, and
removed to Kirkstall in 1152) are in good preservation;
Kirkstall Grange and Kirkstall Hall are seats.
Kirkstall Forge, ry. sta., E. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire, 4£ miles NW. of Wellington Street Station,
Leeds; the Kirkstall F'orge Iron Works are noted
for excellence of mfrs.
Kirkstead, par. and ry. sta., Lincolnshire, on river
Witham, 7k miles SW. of Horncastle, 1459 ac., pop.
Kirkstead Burn, stream, Yarrow par., Selkirk-
shire ; rises on Black Law, and flows 4 miles SE. to the
foot of St Marys Loch.
Klrkstone Bass, rocky mountain pass in W. of
Westmorland, 3J miles NE. of Ambleside; at the top
of the pass (1500 ft.) is an inn called the Travellers
Rest, wrongly held to be the highest inhabited house
in England—the Cat and Fiddle on the Buxton and
Macclesfield road being 100 ft. higher.
Kirkstyle.—hamlet, Ewes par., E. Dumfriesshire,
on Ewes Water, 4 miles N. of Langholm.—2. Kirk-
style, a former burgh of barony, Lanarkshire, now
represented by the town of Carluke.
Kirkthorpe, hamlet, Warmfield par., S. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Calder, 2 miles E. of Wake-
field ; in vicinity is the seat of Kirkthorpe Hail.
Kirkthwaite.—hamlet, in par. and 41? miles E. of
Wigton, Cumberland.—2. Kirkthwaite, vil., Sedbergh
par., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 4 m. E. of Dent.
Kirkton, par., Notts. See Kirton.
Kirkton, the name of numerous villages in Scot-
land where there is or has been a parish church; the
name is either used alone, or is coupled with the name
of the parish.
Kirkton Burn, stream, Neilston par., Renfrew-
shire ; rises on S. border of co., and flows 4J miles NE.
to the Levern at Barrhead.
Kirkton (or Campsie) Glen, Campsie par., Stirling-
shire. See Campsie.
Kirkton of1 .
Kirktonhill.—vil., Westerkirk par., E. Dumfries-
shire, on river Esk, 6 miles NW. of Langholm.—2.
Kirktonhill, seat, Marykirk par., S. Kincardineshire,
4 miles SW. of Laurencekirk.
Kirktown, par., Roxburghshire, 6202 ac., pop. 334;
the church is 31? miles E. of Hawick.
Kirkurd, par., W. Peeblesshire, 5698 ac., pop. 282;
the church is 3 miles SE. of Dolphinton.
Kirkville Honse, Skene par., in co. and 8k miles N.
Kirkwall, pari, and royal burgh, seaport, and co.
town of Orkney, Kirkwall and St Ola par., Mainland,
at head of Kirkwall Bay, 51 miles N. of Wick, which
is 742J miles NW. of London by rail—pari, burgh, pop.
3923; royal burgh, pop. 2613; town, pop. 3947 ; P.O.,
T.O., 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. The cathedral of Kirk-
wall (1137), dedicated to St Magnus, the patron saint
of Orkney, is one of the three old cathedrals of Scot-
land that remain in nearly perfect condition. The
choir is used as the parish church. Adjoining the
cathedral are the remains of the bishops palace, where
Haco King of Norway died in 1263, and the ruins of
the earls palace (about 1600), the hall of which figures
in Scotts Pirate. The last remains of the old royal
Castle of Kirkwall, a fortress of great strength and
antiquity, were removed in 1865. To the E. of the
harbour are the remains of a fort erected by Cromwell.
Kirkwall has steam communication with Lerwick, and
with Leith, by Wick and Aberdeen. The harbour,
which has been much improved, is secure and com-
modious, and the trade, foreign and coasting, is
considerable. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
Kirkwall was made a royal burgh by James III. in
1486. It is one of the Wick District of Parliamentary
Burghs, which returns 1 member.
Kirkwall and St Ola, par., Mainland, Orkney,
11,088 ac., pop. 4801; contains Kirkwall.
Kirkwhclpington, par., township, and vil., North-
umberland—par., 13,671 ac., pop. 600; township, 2862
ac., pop. 210; vil., on cliff above river Wansbeck, 10
miles NE. of Bellingham; P.O., T.o.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)