Lady Well, ry. sta., on W. border of Kent, 1 m. SW.
of Lewisham sta. and 6½ m. SE. of London Bridge.
Lady Yoe, landing-place, Yell island, Shetland, on
Ladybank, police burgh with ry. sta. (Ladybank
Junction), Collessie par., Fife, 5½ miles SW. of Cupar,
28 N. of Edinburgh, and 420 NW. of London by rail,
pop. (including Monkston) 1072; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank;
has a locomotive depot and some small industries.
From Ladybank Junction lines of railway diverge to
Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth, and Stirling.
Ladyhooth, hamlet, in par. and 2 miles NAY. of
Castleton, N. Derbyshire.
Ladyfield, vil., on border of Lundie and Fowlis par.,
Forfarshire, and Longforgan par., Perthshire, 7 miles
NW. of Dundee.
Ladyholt Park, seat, on W. border of Sussex, 4 miles
S. of Petersfield.
Ladykirk.—par. and hamlet, SE. Berwickshire—
par., 3380 ac., pop. 438; hamlet, on river Tweed, 6
miles NE. of Coldstream; P.O.; the parish church,
which dates from 1500, was the scene of a treaty in the
time of Mary Queen of Scots; in vicinity is the seat
of Ladykirk House, with fine park.—2. Ladykirk,
ancient par., nowin Stronsay and Eday par., in SW.
of Stronsay island, Orkney.—3. Ladykirk (or North-
kirk), ancient par., now in AVestray and Papa-Westray
par., in N. of AYestray island, Orkney.
Ladykirk Honse. — seat, Monkton and Prestwick
par., Ayrshire, 4½ miles NE. of Ayr.—2. Ladykirk
House, seat, Berwickshire. See Ladykirk.
Ladyland, seat, and remains of old tower, Kilbirnie
par., Ayrshire, 2 miles SAY. of Lochwinnoch.
Ladylands, ry. sta., on border of Perthshire and
Stirlingshire, between Kippen and Port of Menteith.
Ladyloan, quoad sacra par., Arbroath and St
Vigeans pars., Forfarshire, pop. 4049; comprises part
of the town of Arbroath.
Ladys Bridge, ry. sta., in co. and 2½ m. W. of Banff.
Ladys Island (or St Marys), coast par., in co. and
8 miles SE. of Wexford, 597 ac., pop. 235. Ladys
Island Lake (2½ miles by 1 mile) is an inlet of the sea
with a very narrow entrance; at the head of the lake
are ruins of a monastery.
Ladys Leap, near Glendalough, mid. co. Wicklow.
Ladys Bake, cavern, in the most southerly cliff on
the E. side of Derwentwater, Cumberland.
Ladys Bock, between Lismore island and Mull
island, Argyllshire ; on this rock, in 1523, the wife of
Maclean of Duart was placed by her husband, that she
might be drowned by the rising tide, but was rescued
by a passing boat,—the subject of Joanna Baillies
Family Legend and of Campbells Glenara.
Ladysbridge, viL, Ightermurragh par., E. co. Cork,
3 miles S. of Mogeely ry. sta., pop. 98 ; P.O.
Ladytown, par., mid. co. Kildare, on river Liffey
and a branch of the Grand Canal, 2 miles SW. of
Naas, 2682 ac., pop. 190.
Lady well, hamlet, Kirkbean par., SE. Kirkcud-
bright, 12 miles S. of Dumfries.
Ladywood, eccl. dist., Birmingham par. and bor.,
Warwickshire, pop. 13,881.
Laffans Bridge, ry. sta. (for Killenaule), 11 miles
SE. of Thurles, E. co. Tipperary.
Lag, place with inn, in par. and near Kilmory church,
Arran island, Firth of Clyde, 8 miles SW. of Lamlash.
Lag Tower, ruined tower, long the seat of the Grier-
sons of Lag, in par. and 1½ mile NE. of Dunscore,
Laga, place with church, Ardnamurchan par., Argyll-
shire, on N. side of Loch Sunart.
Lagafater Lodge, in par. and 6 miles SE. of Bal-
lantrae, S. Ayrshire.
Lagan.-—river of Ulster province; rises in mid. co.
Down under Slieve Croob mountain, flows NW. past
Dromore to the vicinity of Magheralin, then turns NE.,
and, passing Lisburn and tracing the boundary between
cos. Antrim and Down, falls into Belfast Lough at the
town of Belfast; length about 35 miles. The river is
navigable for barges of 50 tons to a point 2 miles above
Lisburn, where the Lagan Canal begins and continues
the navigation past Moira to Lough Neagh, the entire
navigable distance being 28½ miles.—2. Lagan, river ;
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)