N. part of the co.; on the coast is the old red sandstone.
The great coalfield of Lancashire, the existence of which
has greatly contributed towards establishing its pre-
eminence as a manufacturing co., covers an area of
about 217 sq. miles between the Ribble and the Mersey.
Iron is abundant in Furness. Lancashire is intersected
by an intricate network of canals and railways. Its
immense cotton mfrs. have a world-wide fame, while
other textile fabrics are largely produced. Its mfrs. of
machinery of all descriptions are also extensive. Lanca-
shire comprises 6 hundreds, 453 pars., the pari, and
mun. bors. of Barrow in Furness (1 member), Black-
burn, Bolton (2 members each), Burnley, Bury (1
member each), Liverpool (9 members), Manchester (6
members), Salford (3 members), Oldham, Preston (2
members each), Rochdale, St Helens, AVigan (1 member
each), the greater part of the pari, and mun. bors. of
Ashton under Lyne and AVarrington (1 member each),
and the mun. bors. of Accrington, Bacup, Blackpool,
Bootle cum Linacre, Clitheroe, Heywood, Lancaster,
Over Darwen, and Southport. It is comprised in the
dioceses of Liverpool, Manchester, Carlisle, and Ripon.
For parl. purposes the co. is divided into 23 divisions,
each division returning 1 member—North Lancashire, 4
divisions, viz., North Lonsdale, Lancaster, Blackpool, and
' Chorley; North-East Lancashire, 4 divisions, viz., Dar-
wen, Clitheroe, Accrington, and Rossendale; South-East
Lancashire, 8 divisions, viz., West Houghton, Heywood,
Middleton, Radcliffe cum Farnworth, Eccles, Stretford,
Gorton, and Prestwich ; South-AVest Lancashire, 7
divisions, viz., Southport, Ormskirk, Bootle, Widnes,
Newton, Hindley, and Leigh. The representation of
Lancashire was increased from 8 to 23 members in 1885.
Lancast, hamlet, 6| miles W. of Launceston,
Lancaster, mun. bor., seaport, par., township, and
co. town of Lancashire, in N. div. of the co., on S. bank
of river Lune, 51J miles NAV. of Manchester and 231
NW. of London by rail—par., 71,323 ac. (3350 water)
and 11,726 foreshore, pop. 39,531; bor. and town-
ship, 1494 ac. (154 water), pop. 20,663; 2 Banks, 3
newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday.
Lancaster has a picturesque and pleasant situation on
the acclivities of a bill, which is crowned by the Castle
(now the co. gaol), said to have been erected on the
site of the Roman castrum. In 1698 the town was
nearly destroyed by fire; it also suffered during the
risings of 1715 and 1745. The accumulation of sand in
the river has made the port inaccessible for large vessels,
but there is a dock at Glasson, 5 miles distant, where
ships usually transfer their cargoes to lighters. (For
shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The industries com-
prise the mfr. of cabinet furniture, fancy oilcloths for
table-covers, &c., cotton and silk goods, railway plant,
Lancaster, Ducky of, hundred, Gloucestershire,
8768 ac., pop. 2320.
Lancaster Division, Tke, parl. div. of N. Lancashire,
pop. (estimated) 53,970.
Lancaut, par., Gloucestershire, on river AArye, 2 miles
NE. of Chepstow, 218 ac., pop. 14.
Lanckestcr, par., township, and vil. with ry. sta.,
Durham—par. (containing Leadgate and parts of Con-
sett and Tow Law), 46,082 ac., pop. 45,346; township,
15,235 ac., pop. 4038 ; vil., on Smallhope burn, 9 miles
NW. of Durham ; P.O., T.O. ; on hill top to W. of vil.
are remains of a remarkable Roman station.
Lancing, par. and ry. sta., Sussex, 2 miles NW. of
Shoreham, 2530 ac. (25 water) and 496 tidal water and
foreshore, pop. 1341; P.O. at sta., called Lancing
Station; the par. contains the vils. of North Lanc-
ing; P.O.; and South Lancing ; P.O.; and the hamlet
of Lower Lancing; large market gardens are in the
par. The seat of Lancing Hall is in vicinity of sta.
Landavery Kocks, Cornwall, 3 m. E. of Camelford.
Landkeach, par. and vil., in co. and 5 miles NE, of
Cambridge, 2490 ac., pop. 510 ; P.O.
Landcross, par., Devon, on river Torridge, 2 miles
SE. of Bideford, 331 ac., pop. 84.
Landcnstown, seat, 3 miles NAV. of Sallins ry. sta.,
N. co. Kildare.
| Landcstown, ruins of castle, near Donabate, N. co.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)