Lawley, eccl. dist. with ry. sta. (Lawley Bank), AYel-
lington and Little Wenlock pars., Shropshire, 3 miles
SE. of AArellington by rail, pop. 1230; adjacent to sta.
is Lawley Bank, hamlet.
Lawmnir Honse, seat, in par. and 2| miles W. of
East Kilbride, Lanarkshire.
Lawn, The, seat, AYilts; post-town, Swindon.
Lawn, The, seat of the Earl of Lucan, near Castle-
bar, mid. co. Mayo.
Lawnchy Gill, stream, Cumberland, between Bull
Crag and Fisher Crag, 1 m. from S. end of Thirlmere.
Lawneswood, seat, Staffordshire, 3| miles NW. of
Lawngah, hill, 2 m. NE. of Newmarket, co. Clare.
Lawnsdown, seat, 1 mile AY. of Portarlington, N.
Queens co., on river Barrow.
Lawrence Hill, ry. sta., Gloucestershire, on E. side
of Bristol; P.O.
Lawrence AValthain, 4J miles SAY. of Maidenhead
sta., Berks; p.o. See AValtham St Lawrence.
Lawrencetown, vil. with ry. sta. (Laurencetown),
Tullylish par., W. co. Down, 3 miles NW. of Ban-
bridge, pop. 139 ; P.O., called Laurencetown.
Lawrenny, par. and seat, Pembrokeshire, in S. of
co., on Milford Haven, 4 miles NE. of Pembroke, 2502
ac. and 282 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 288; P.O.
Lawress, wapentake, Lincolnshire, 46,413 ac., pop.
7487 ; contains 28 pars, and part of another.
Laws, The.—seat, Whitsome par., Berwickshire, 4J
miles SE. of Duns.—2. Laws, The, seat, in par. and 2
miles N. of Monifieth, SE. Forfarshire ; stands on the
S. slope of a hill of the same name, crowned by vestiges
of a large vitrified fort.
Laws Son, vil., Tullylish par., AY. co. Down, 3 miles
NAY. of Banbridge, pop. 147.
Lawshall, par. and vil., Suffolk, 6J miles SE. of
Bury St Edmunds, 2969 ac., pop. 799 ; P.O., and P.O. at
Lawsons Bock, cliff, on road from Scourie to Dur-
ness, NW. Sutherland, at river Laxford.
Lawston, place with mineral spring, Castleton par.,
Lawting, island, in Tingwall Loch, Tingwall par.,
Shetland; the old Norse courts were held here.
Lawton, vil., Kingslandpar., Herefordshire, in N. of
co., 3 miles AY. of Leominster.
Lawton. — seat, Inverkeillor par., Forfarshire, on
Lnnan Water, 5 miles N. of Arbroath.—2. Lawton,
hamlet and seat, Cargill par., Perthshire, 4 miles S. of
Lawton Hall, seat, Church Lawton par., Cheshire,
5 miles SW. of Congleton.
Lax Firth, in E. of Tingwall par., Shetland.
Laxay, hamlet, Lochs par., Lewis isl., Ross-shire, on
N. side of Loch Erisort, 10 m. SW. of Stornoway; P.O.
Laxborough, hamlet, on river Roding, Essex, 5J
miles NW. of Romford.
Laxdaie, vil., in par. and 1J m. NW. of Stornoway,
Lewis isl., Ross-shire, pop. (including Newmarket) 569.
Laxey, vil., Lonan par., Isle of Man, on the E. coast,
at mouth of river Laxey, 7k miles NE. of Douglas;
P.O., t.o., 1 Bank; is an important place, and owes its
prosperity to its extensive lead mines, which employ
several hundred men; copper and zinc are also worked.
Laxey Glen, almost enclosed by mountains, is a pic-
turesque locality, traversed by Laxey Kiver, which
rises on Snae Fell and flows 4 miles SE. to Laxey Bay
at Laxey. Laxey Head forms the northern extremity
of the bay.
Laxfield, par. and vil., Suffolk, 6 miles N. of Fram-
lingham, 3630 ac., pop. 886; P.O.
Laxford, salmon river, Eddrachillis par., NW.
Sutherland; issues from Loch Stack, and flows 5 miles
NW. to Loch Laxford; 1£ mile from its mouth the
public road is carried over by Laxford Bridge; Lax-
ford, Loch, an arm of the sea, with good anchorage,
extends 3k miles NAY.; it is deeply indented, contains
many islands, and is so narrow and intricate that it is
sometimes called the Kyle of Laxford.
Laxton.—par., Northamptonshire, 6 miles SE. of
Uppingham, 1370 ac., pop. 100 ; contains Laxton Hall,
seat of Lord Carberry.—2. Laxton (or Lexington),
par. and vil., Notts—par., 3610ac., pop. 483 ; vil., 3J m.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)