Leasingliani, par., township, and vil., Lincolnshire,
2 miles NAY. of Sleaford—par., 2959 ac., pop. 505;
township, pop. 366; P.O.
Leasingtliornc, hamlet, 3 miles E. of Bishop Auck-
land, Durham; P.O.
Leasowe Castle, seat, Wallasey par., Cheshire, on
the coast, 4 miles NW. of Birkenhead ; contains some
relics of the Star Chamber; in vicinity is the com-
mencement of the Wallasey Embankment for the
prevention of the encroachment of the sea upon the
Wirral peninsula. Some remains of a submerged forest
are visible here at low water. 1 mile to NW. of castle
is Leasowe Lighthouse, 110 ft. high, with fixed light
94 ft. above high water and seen 15 miles.
Leasowes, seat, 5 miles SE. of Dudley, Worcester-
shire ; was the birthplace and residence of Shenstone
(1714-1763), the poet.
Leath, ward, Cumberland, 222,811 ac., pop. 27,817;
contains 21 pars, and part of another.
Leathan, Loch, in par. and 5 miles N. of Portree,
Skye island, Inverness-shire.
Leather Tor, Dartmoor, Devon, 4 m. NE. of Tavistock.
Leatherhead, small town and par. with ry. sta.,
Surrey, on river Mole, 5 miles SAY. of Epsom and 18
miles SAY. of London, 3541 ac., pop. 3533; P.O., T.O., 1
Bank; has brick and tile works, also malting, brewing,
and tanning. In vicinity is Leatherhead Common.
Leathes Water, or Thirlmere : which see.
Lcathley, par., township, and vil., E. div. West-
Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NE. of Otley—par., 2089 ac.,
pop. 237; township, 1565 ac., pop. 150; contains the
seat of Leathley Hall.
Leaton,eccl. dist. withry. sta., Fitz,Preston Guballs,
and St Mary Shrewsbury pars., Shropshire; vil., 4 miles
NW. of Shrewsbury, pop. 403.
Leaveland, par., Kent, 4 miles S. of Faversham,
381 ac., pop. 129.
Leavenheath, vil., Stoke by Nay land par., and eccl.
dist., also in Assington, Nayland, Polstead, and AYis-
sington pars., Suffolk—dist., pop. 443 ; vil., 4 miles
NE. of Bures ry. sta. ; P.O.
Leavening, township and vil., Acklam par., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 6 miles S. of Malton, 1292 ac.,
pop. 391; P.O.
Leavens (or Lhanc Moor), river, in N. of Isle of
Man ; rises in The Curragh, and flows 5 miles N. to the
sea 1 mile SAY. of Blue Point.
Leaventhorpe, vil., in par. and 4 m. W. of Bradford,
N. div. AYest-Riding Yorkshire ; has wool-combing.
Leavesden, vil., AYatford par., and eccl. dist., also
in St Stephen (St Albans) par., Herts—dist., mostly in
town of AYatford, pop. 3643; the vil. is 2J miles NW.
Lcavington, Kirk. See Kirk Leavington.
Leawood, seat, 6 miles SW. of Okehampton, Devon.
Lebberston, coast township, Filey par., North-Rid-
ing Yorkshire, 4m. SE.of Scarborough, 1277ac., pop. 157.
Lecalc, Lower and Upper, 2 bars., S. co. Down—
Lower Lecale, 30,976 ac., pop. 7662; Upper Lecale,
30,699 ac., pop. 12,172.
Lecarrow, in co. and 9 miles SE. of Roscommon; P.O.
Lcchlade, market town and par. with ry. sta., Glou-
cestershire, on river Thames and Thames and Severn
Canal, 3£ miles SE. of Fairfield sta. and 23 miles SAY.
of Oxford, 3625 ac., pop. 1176; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Friday. The town has some agricultural
trade; there is a mineral spring; important Roman
remains have been found.
Lechmore Heath, hamlet, Herts, in S. of co., 3 miles
E. of Watford.
Leek, township, Tunstall par., N. Lancashire, on
Leek stream (affluent of the Lune), 2J miles SE. of
Kirkby Lonsdale, 4636 ac., pop. 271.
Leek, par., mid. co. Donegal, on Lough Swilly, near
Letterkenny, 10,488 ac., pop. 2043.
Leckby, hamlet, Cundall par., North-Riding York-
shire, 4 miles N. of Boroughbridge.
Leckford, par. and vil., Hants, on river Test, 2 miles
NE. of Stockbridge, 2267 ac. (32 water), pop. 288 ; P.O.
Lcckliampstead.—township and vil., Chievely par.,
Berks, 7 miles NAY. of Newbury, 1777 ac., pop. 311.—
2. Leckliainpstcad, par., in co. and 3^ miles NE. of
Buckingham, 2571 ac., pop. 340.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)