Lcnton.—par. and ry. sta., Notts, on river Leen and
Nottingham Canal, on SAV. side and wholly in bor. of
Nottingham, 1576 ac., pop. 9162.—2. Lenton, Lincoln-
shire. See Lavington.
Lentran, ry. sta., Kirkhill par., in co. and 5| miles
W. of Inverness, near Beauly Firth; P.O.; in SW.
vicinity is Lentran Honse.
Len wade, hamlet with ry. sta., Great Witchenham
liar., Norfolk, 2 miles NW. of Atterbridge sta.
Leny, seat, in par. and 1 mile NW. of Callander,
SW. Perthshire; 2g miles NW. of Callander is the
Pass of Leny, traversed by the Oban and Callander
Ry., and by the river Leny, which flows from Loch
Lubnaig SE. to the Teith near Callander ; at the foot
of the pass the river makes the Falls of Leny.
Leny, par., N. co. Westmeath, 1 mile S. of Multy-
farnham, 3865 ac., pop. 557.
Lenzie, quoad sacra par. and S. suburb of Kirkin-
tilloch, with ry. sta. (Lenzie Junction), Kirkintilloch
par., Dumbartonshire, and Cadder par., Lanarkshire—
par., pop. 2292; suburb, pop. 1316; P.O., T.O.; at
Lenzie are the Barony Lunatic Asylum (on the Woodilee
estate) and the Glasgow Convalescent Home.
Leochel and Cushnle, par. and quoad sacra par.,
Aberdeenshire—par., 12,856 ac., pop. 1217; quoad
sacra par., partly also in Coull par., pop. 1474; the
church is 5 miles SAV. of Alford; Leochel Burn rises
in Coull jiar. (as Corse Burn), and flows 9g miles N. to
the Don a little above Alford.
Leod Castle. See Castle Leod.
Leominster.—mun. bor. and par. withry. sta., Here-
fordshire, on river Lugg, 12 miles N. of Hereford and
157 miles from London, 8086 ac., pop. 6044 ; P.O., T.O.,
2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday. Three
rivers—the Lugg, Pinsley, and Kenswater—pass through
the town, which is situated in a fertile valley. Its
commerce is maintained chiefly by hops and cider, be-
sides which there, is a large industry in the mfr. of
leather gloves. Cattle and sheep are reared in the
vicinity. Leominster returned 1 member to Parlia-
ment until 1885. — 2. Leominster (or Lyminster),
par., township, and vil., Sussex, 2 miles SE. of Arun-
del—par., 3659 ac., pop. 1715; township, 2730 ac., pop.
1587 ; P.O., called Lyminster. •
Leominster Canal, Herefordshire and AVorcester-
shire, from Leominster NE. to Mamble ; is 46 m. long.
Leominster (or Northern) Division, The, parl. div.
of Herefordshire, pop. (estimated) 49,064.
Leominster In, and Leominster Out, 2 townships,
comprising the par. and bor. of Leominster, Hereford-
shire—L. In, pop. 4939; L. Out, pop. 1105.
Leonard Stanley (or Stanley St Leonard), par.
and vil., Gloucestershire, 3g miles SW. of Stroud, 1189
ac., pop. 775; P.O.; was formerly a corporate borough
and a place of considerable importance, but was almost
entirely destroyed by fire in 1686.
Leppington, township, Scrayingham par., East-
Riding Yorkshire, 7g m. SAV. of Malton, 1182 ac., pop. 76.
Lcpton, township and local government district,
Kirkheaton par., S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 4 miles
SE. of Huddersfield, 1863 ac., pop. 3019; contains the
vils. of Great Lepton and Little Lepton.
LErce, small bay, on NW. coast of Guernsey, Chan-
nel Islands, between Rocquaine and Vazon bays.
Lerrin.—river, Cornwall; rises near Broadoak, and
flows 6 miles to the Fowey.—2. Lerrin, vil., on river
Lerrin, Cornwall, 3 miles SE. of Lostwithiel; P.O.
Lerwick, seaport town, police burgh, par., and
capital of the Shetland Islands, on E. coast of Main-
land, on Bressay Sound—par., 5653 ac., pop. 4772;
police burgh, pop. 3854; town, pop. 4045; P.O., T.O.,
3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Lerwick possesses a fine har-
bour, with easy access both from the N. and S., and
has steam communication with Kirkwall, AVick, Aber-
deen, and Leith. (For shipping statistics, see Ap-
pendix.) On Bressay island, E. side of entrance to
Lerwick, is a lighthouse 53 ft. high, with revolving
light (Bressay) 105 ft. above high water and seen 16
miles. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the
fisheries. New harbour works (pier, esplanade, and
wharves) were opened, June 1886.
Lery, river, Cardiganshire ; rises near border of Mont-
gomeryshire, and flows AY. and N. to estuary of Dyfi.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)