Les Landes, high table-land, in NW. part of Jersey,
Channel Islands, between St Ouens Bay and Cape
Les Marlais, ry. sta., 4£ miles SE. of St Helier,
Jersey, Channel Islands.
Les Terres, grounds, in E. of Guernsey, Channel
Islands, between St Peter Port and Fort George.
Lesbnry, par., township, and vil., Northumberland
—par., 4338 ac. and 359 tidal water and foreshore, pop.
1495; township, 4042 ac., pop. 960; vil., on river Alne,
3| miles SE. of Alnwick ; P.O.; has some trade in the
shipping of slates.
Lescaddock Castle, ancient circular camp, Corn-
wall, in SW. of co., near Penzance.
Lcsk Water, affluent of river Bann, bar. Gorey, N.
co. Wexford : 5 miles long.
Lcsketh Howe, seat, in vicinity of Ambleside, West-
Leslie.—market town, police burgh, and par. with
ry. sta., Fife, on river Leven, 4 miles W. of Markinch
and 12 miles SW. of Cupar—par., 5028 ac., pop.
4345; police burgh, pop. 2341; town, pop. (including
Croftouterly and Prinlaws), 3853; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank.
Market-day, Thursday. Leslie has flax-spinnirig mills,
bleachworks, and paper mills. Leslie House (17th cen-
tury) is the seat of the Leslies of Rothes.—2. Leslie,
par. and hamlet, Aberdeenshire—par., 4444 ac., pop.
523; hamlet, on Gady Burn, 4 miles SW. of Insch;
P.O.; Leslie Castle (1661), or the old House of Leslie,
is now a ruin.
Leslie Hill, seat, near Ballymoney, N. co. Antrim.
Lesmahagow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanark-
shire—par., 41,299 ae., pop. 9949; vil. (also called
Abbey Green), on river Nethan, 6 miles SAY. of Lanark
and 12 miles SE. of Hamilton, pop. 1386 ; P.O., T.O., 2
Banks ; the parish church stands on the site of a 12th
century priory ; Lesmahagow is chiefly a mining parish,
but large quantities of fruit are also grown.
Lesinore, place with school, in par. and 2 miles W. of
Rhynie, Aberdeenshire ; Lesmore Castle is the ruined
stronghold of an ancient branch of the Gordon family.
Lesmurdie Cottage, shooting-box, Cabrach par.,
Banffshire, 12 miles SW. of Huntly.
Lesnes, Kent. See Lessness.
Lesnewth. — hundred, Cornwall, 54,979 ac., pop.
7911; contains Camelford town and 18 pars.—2. Les-
newth, par. and hamlet, Cornwall, 41? miles NE. of
Camelford, 2028 ac., pop. 116.
Lessemlrnm House, renovated old mansion, Drum-
blade par., Aberdeenshire, 41? miles NE. of Huntly.
Lessingliam, par. and vil., Norfolk, 7 miles SE. of
North Walsham, 639 ac., pop. 176 ; P.O.
Lessness.—hundred, Kent. See Little and Less-
ness.—2. Lessness, hamlet, Erith par., Kent, 1 mile
S. of Erith sta.; Lessness (or Lesnes) Abbey, seat, is
3 miles NW. of hamlet.
Lesson Hall, seat, 2\ m. NW. of Wigton, Cumberland.
Lessmltien (or St Boswells), vil., in par. and 1J
mile SE. of St Boswells sta., NW. Roxburghshire,
pop. 555; P.O., T.o., called St Boswells; Lessudden
House, an old Border house, is the seat of the Scotts of
Raeburn. See St Boswells.
Les wait, par., quoad sacra par., and vil., Wigtown-
shire—par. (containing the Sheuchan suburb of Stran-
raer), 12,523 ac., pop. 2635; quoad sacra par. (partly
also in Kirkcolm par.), pop. 1292 ; vil., 3 miles NW. of
Stranraer; P.O.; the old parish church has for centuries
been the burying-place of the Agnews of Lochnaw.
Letchmore Heath, vil., Aid enham par., Herts, in
SW. of co., 3 miles NE. of Watford ; P.O.
Letch worth, par., Herts, in N. of co., 2 miles NE.
of Hitchin, 1131 ac., pop. 108.
Letcombe Bassett, par., Berks, in W. of co., 2k
miles SW. of Wantage, 1662 ac., pop. 221.
Letcombe Regis, par., township, and vil., Berks, in
W. of co., lk mile SA\r. of Wantage—par., 4551 ac.,
pop. 1022; township, 2459 ac., pop. 453.
Letham.—vil., Monimail par., Fife, 3 miles N. of
Ladybank; P.O.—2. Letham, vil., partly in Kirkden
par., but chiefly in Dunnichen par., Forfarshire, on
Yinny Water, 5 miles E. of Forfar, pop. 885; P.O.
Letham Grange, ry. sta. and seat, St Yigeans par.,
Forfarshire, 3 miles N. of Arbroath.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)