Liinekoiise Hivision, The, pari. div. of Tower
Hamlets bor., Middlesex, 422 ac., pop. 56,318.
Limehonsc Reach, bend of river Thames, opposite
West India Docks, London.
Limchnrst, 2 miles from Ashton under Lyne, SE.
Limekilns.—coast vil., partly in Inverkeithing par.
but chiefly in Dunfermline par., Fife, on Firth of
Forth, 1 mile E. of Charlestown and 3 miles S. of Dun-
fermline, pop. 698 ; P.O. ; Limekilns is an ancient place,
and before the railway period was a considerable sea-
port ; steps were taken in 1885 for the erection of a
public hall for the villages of Limekilns and Charles-
town.—2. Limekilns, seat, in par. and NW. vicinity
of East Kilbride, Lanarkshire.
Limerick.—co. of Munster province ; bounded N.
by river Shannon and cos. Clare and Tipperary, E. by
co. Tipperary, S. by co. Cork, and W. by co. Kerry;
greatest length, E. and W., 53 miles ; greatest breadth,
N. and S., 32 miles ; average breadth, 22 miles ; circuit
about 175 miles, of which 35 are washed by the Shannon;
area, 680,842 ac. (18,474 water), or 3'2 per cent, of the
total area of Ireland; pop. 180,632, of whom 95'0 per
cent, are Roman Catholics, 4'3 Episcopalians, 0‘2
Presbyterians, and 0'3 Methodists. A portion of the
co. on the E. belongs to the Golden Yale. There are
mountains along the S. border. The principal streams
are the Maigue, Deal, Mulkerne, Commogue, and Morn-
ing Star, all flowing into the Shannon. The surface
generally consists of a finely undulating plain, well
watered, and highly productive. Much of the soil is a
richloam. Live stock and agricultural produce arelargely
exported. (For agricultural statistics, see Appendix.)
Limestone prevails; clay, slate, and red sandstone
occur in various parts of the co. Limerick gives the
title of Earl and Viscount to the family of Percy. The
co. comprises 14 bars.—Clanwilliam, Connello (Lower
and Upper), Coonagh, Coshlea, Coshma, Glenquin,
Kenry, Kilmallock, Owneybeg, North Liberties, Pub-
blebrien, Shanid, and Small County; 131 pars.; the
pari, and mun. bor. of Limerick (1 member) and the
towns of Newcastle and Rathkeale. For parliamentary
purposes the county is divided into 2 divisions—viz.,
West Limerick and East Limerick, 1 member for each
division. — 2. Limerick, pari, and mun. bor., city,
and co. of itself, and important commercial port, N. co.
Limerick, on river Shannon, 50 miles from the sea, 64
N. of Cork, and 129 SW. of Dublin—pari, bor., 33,380
ac.,pop.48,670; mun.bor.,2075ac.,pop. 38,562; 4Banks,
5 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday.
The city stands upon low ground, and is composed of
3 parts—the Irish Town, the English Town (situated
on Kings Island in the river), and the fine suburb
of Newtown-Pery. The river is crossed by 5 bridges.
The public structures, for the most part, are large and
handsome. There are barracks for cavalry, infantry,
and artillery. The trade and commerce of Limerick
are extensive. In addition to the quay walls of the
city, there is a magnificent floating dock, where ves-
sels of 1000 tons can discharge. There is also a large
graving dock. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
Bacon-curing is a very extensive industry, and a con-
siderable export trade is carried on in bacon, butter,
eggs, butterine, &c. The lace mfr. is less important
than formerly ; there is a clothing factory, which gives
employment to upwards of 1000 hands. Other in-
dustries are the mfr. of flour, tobacco, salt, agricultural
implements, and manures ; there isl distillery. Limerick
is an ancient city; it was plundered by the Danes in
812 ; was the seat of the kings of Thomond ; was taken
by the English in 1174; was unsuccessfully besieged by
AVilliam III. in 1690, but capitulated to General Ginkell
in 1691; and the dismantling of its fortifications com-
menced in 1760. The bor. returns 1 member to Parlia-
ment ; it returned 2 members until 1885.
Limerick Junction, sta. on Great Southern and
Western Ry. and Waterford and Limerick Ry., in co.
and 3 miles NW. of Tipperary, 22 miles SE. of Limerick
and 107 miles SW. of Dublin ; P.O., T.O.
Limerigg, vil., in par. and 1 mile S. of Slamannan
sta., Stirlingshire, pop. (including Lochside) 1204; P.O.
Linecrston, hamlet, Brixton par., Isle of AVight, 5|
miles SAY. of Newport.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)