Linn1 of Campsie. See Campsie Linn.
Linnlie, Loch, sea-loch, Argyll and Inverness ; ex-
tends 30 miles NE. from the junction of the Firth of
Lorne and the Sound of Mull to the foot of the Cale-
donian Canal at Fort William ; the upper part, 94 m.,
from Corran Narrows to Fort William, is often called
Lower Loch Eil. See Eil, Loch.
Linnmill, vil., in co. and par. of Clackmannan, 24
miles E. of Alloa.
Linon, stream, Anglesey, falling into river Aiwa
Linsct Street, hamlet, in W. of Essex, near Epping.
Linsfort, seat, 5 miles NW. of Buncrana, N. co.
Donegal, on Lough Swilly; P.O.
Linshart Cottage, Longside par., NE. Aberdeen-
shire; was the residence of the Rev. John Skinner
(1721-1807), author of Tullochgorum.
Linsheeles, township, Alwinton par., Northumber-
land, 11 m. NW. of Rothbury, 14,846 ac., pop. 80.
Linslade (or Linclilade), par. and vil., Bucks, in
E. of co., on river Ouzel and Grand Junction Canal, 2
miles NW. of Leighton Buzzard, 1693 ac. (26 water),
pop. 1724; in vicinity of vil. is the seat of Linslade
House ; Linslade Tunnel is 200 yds. in length.
Linstead, Great, par. and vil., Suffolk, 5 miles W.
of Halesworth, 1304 ac., pop. 123.
Linstead, Little, par. and vil., Suffolk, 34 miles NW.
of Halesworth, 554 ac., pop. 159.
Linsted, par. and vil., Kent, 3 miles SE. of Sitting-
bourne, 1826 ac., pop. 1284; P.O.; in vicinity of vil. is
the seat of Linsted Lodge.
Linstock, hamlet, Stanwix par., Cumberland, on
river Eden, 24 miles NE. of Carlisle ; has ruins of Lin-
Lintalee, seat, on Jed Water, Roxburghshire, in par.
and 14 mile S. of Jedburgh ; on the estate is the camp
formed by Douglas in the time of Robert Bruce, for
the defence of the Borders; Lintalee Cave, 011 Jed
Water, disappeared in 1866.
Linthill, seat, Bowden par., Roxburghshire, on Ale
Water, 1 mile N. of Lilliesleaf.
Linthill House, old mansion, now a farmhouse, in
par. and 1 mile SW. of Eyemouth, Berwickshire.
Linthorpe, township, Middlesbrough par., North-
Riding Yorkshire, on river Tees, wholly within the bor.
of Middlesbrough, 1849 ac. land and 287 water, pop.
18,736; P,0., called Linthorpe Road.
Linthwaite, township, Almondbury par., S. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Colne and Manchester
Canal, on SW. side and partly in bor. of Huddersfield,
1320 ac., pop. 6068 ; P.O.; has mfrs. of woollens.
Linton.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., Cambridgeshire,
in SE. of co., on river Granta, 104 miles SE. of Cam-
bridge, 3775 ac., pop. 1753; P.O., T.o.—2. Linton,
township and vil., Church Gresley par., Derbyshire, 44
miles SE. of Burton-upon-Trent, pop. 1193; P.O.—3.
Linton, Gloucester. See Highnam, Linton, and Over.
—4. Linton, par. and vil., Herefordshire, in SE. of
co., 44 miles NE. of Ross, 2775 ac., pop. 927; P.O.—5.
Linton, township, in par. and 3 miles SE. of Brom-
yard, Herefordshire, pop. 616.—6. Linton, par. and
vil., Kent, 011 slope of hill, 4 miles S. of Maidstone,
1393 ac., pop. 874; P.O., T.o.; in vicinity of vil. is
Linton Park, seat of the Earl Amherst.—7. Linton,
hamlet, Woodhorn par., Northumberland, on river
Line, 54 miles NE. of Morpeth. — 8. Linton, par.,
township, and vil., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire—
par., 13,235ac., pop. 1224; township, 1204ac., pop. 127;
vil., on river Wharfe, 74 miles N. of Skipton; P.O.—9.
Linton, township and vil., Spofforth par., E. div.
West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Wharfe, 14 mile SW.
of Wetherby, 1265 ac., pop. 160.
Linton, par., in NE. of Roxburghshire, 6393 ac.,
pop. 543 ; the church is 6 miles SE. of Kelso ; Linton
Tower, a fortalice of the Somervilles, was demolished by
the forces of Henry VIII.; Linton Loch has been drained.
Linton, Last, vil. (police burgh) with ry. sta.,
Prestonkirk par., Haddingtonshire, on river Tyne, 54
miles W. of Dunbar and 23 NE. of Edinburgh—burgh,
pop. 923; vil., pop. 1042; P.O., T.o., called also
Prestonkirk ; 1 Bank. Market-day, Monday.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)