Artro, 2 miles S. of Harlech; P.O. ; is the best fishing-
station in Merioneth except Talyllyn.^-4? Llanbedr,
former chapelry, Llangstone par., Monmouthshire,
5b miles E. of Newport; the church, is in ruins.—5.
Llanbedr. See also Lampeter.
Llanbedr-goch, coast par., on Red AYharf Bay, An-
glesey, in E. of co., 6b miles NW. of Beaumaris, ,3193
ac., pop. 300 ; there is a small port on Red AArharf Bay.
Llanbedr-Painscastlc, par. and vil., Radnorshire,
in S. of co., on river Bachwy, 61 miles NW. of Hay,
3877 ac., pop. 246.
Llanbedr-y-Cennln, par. and township, in NE. of
Carnarvonshire, on river Conway, 4 miles S. of Conway
—par., 4909 ac., pop. 500; township, pop. 383.
Llanbedrog (or Llanbadrlg), par. and vil., Carnar-
vonshire, in SW. of co., 4 miles SW. of Pwllheli, 2458
ac., pop. 541; p.o. »
Llanberis, small town and par. with ry.: sta., Car-
narvonshire, in N. of co., on river Seiont, at,head-of
Llanberis Pass, 10 miles SE. of Carnarvon, 10,431 ac.,
pop. 3033; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank ; the staple industry is
slate-quarrying. Llanberis occupies a romantic site at
the entrance of a long gorge leading up to Snowdon.
The town consists of 2 parts (Old and New), and is a
centre for mountain excursions, and especially; for the
ascent of Snowdon. Llanberis Pass, between the N.
ridge of Snowdon and the S. side of Glyder 1 awr, is one
of the finest mountain defiles in the kingdom, and is
traversed by a well-formed carriage road.
Llanbethery, hamlet, Glamorgan, in SE. of co., 3
miles SE. of Cowbridge.
Llanbculan, par., Anglesey, 6 miles W. of Llan-
gefni, 2943 ac., pop. 223.
Llanblster, par. and vil. (ry. sta. Llanbister Road),
Radnorshire, in N. of co.—par., 14,837 ac., pop. 815;
vil., 4J miles NAV. of sta., which is 9£ miles SW. of
Knighton; P.O., T.O. (at sta.), called Llanblster Hoad.
Llanblaenynis, hamlet, Llangathen par., Carmar-
thenshire, 3 miles W. of Llandilo.
Llanblethlan, par., Glamorgan, in SE. of co., on
river Tawe, 1 mile SW. of Cowbridge, 3263 ac,, pop.
724; contains the seat of Llanblethlan House and the
ruins of Llanblethian Castle.
Llanboidy, par. and vil., Carmarthenshire, in W.
of co.—par., 10,666 ac., pop.. 1548 ; vil., 9 miles NE. of
Narberth; P.O., T.O.; the par.is traversed by the Julian
AVay, and has a Druidical circle (60 ft. in diameter), a
cromlech, and a barrow.
Llanborth, seat, in SAV. of Cardiganshire, near
Llanbrymnalr, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Mont-
gomeryshire, in AV. of co.—par., 19,006 ac., pop. 1575 ;
vil.jllJm.E. of Machynlleth; P.O.,T.o.; has lead mines;
in vicinity of vil. is Llanbrynmair House, seat.
Llancadwalladr, par,, Denbighshire, on river
Ceiriog, 7 miles NAV. of Oswestry, 2774 ac., pop. .203,
Llancadwgan, seat, Llangammarch par., Brecknock-
shire, 7 miles SW. of Builth Road sta.
Llancaiacli Junction, ry. sta., 2b miles NAV. of
Ystrad sta., Glamorgan.
Llancalach and Nelson, ry. sta., on E. border of
Glamorgan, 2b miles E. of Quakers Yard Junction ; is
in the midst of extensive coal fields. > ;
Llancarvan, par. and vil., Glamorgan, in SE. of co.;
—par., 4725 ac., pop. 564; vil., 4| miles SE. of Cow-
bridge; P.O., called Llancarfnn; the par. forms part
of the Yale of Glamorgan; limestone abounds, and
there is a mineral spring.
Llancayo House, seat, on river Usk, Monmouthshire,
1 b mile NW. of Usk ; adjacent is Llaneayo Hill.
Llancillo, par., Herefordshire, in SAV. of co., on
river Monnow, 2b miles SW. of Pontrilas ry. sta., 1085
ac., pop. 62 ; contains the seat of Llancillo Hall.
Llancwnllc, or Caron-Uwch-Clawdd : which see.
Llancynfelin, par., Cardiganshire, in N. of co., on
river Dyfi, 7 miles NE. of Aberystwith, 5021 ac. land
and 1535 water, pop. 905; has coal, lead, and iron
mines, and limestone and marble quarries.
Llandaif, small market town and par. with ry. sta.,
in SE. of Glamorgan, on river Taff—par. (mostly within
the bor. of Cardiff), 3985 ac. (84 water) and 564 tidal
water and foreshore, pop. 17,950 ; pop, of borough part,
14,765; town, 2 miles NW. of Cardiff, pop. 1796; P.O.,
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)