Longkurgk, hamlet, Burgh by Sands par., Cumber-
land, 6 miles NW. of Carlisle.
Longburton, par. and vil., Dorset, in N. of co. 2%
miles SB. of Sherborne, 1025 ac., pop. 379 ; P.O., called
Longcastlc, ancient par., school, and remains of old
keep of the M‘Doualls, Kirkinner par., Wigtownshire.
Longcot, township, Shrivenham par., Berks, 3 miles
SW. of Faringdon, 1894 ac., pop. 393; P.O.
Longcroft, vil., Denny par., Stirlingshire. See
Parkfoot and Longcroft.
Longcroft HaU, seat, Staffordshire, near Burton
Longden, curacy, Pontesbury par., Shropshire, 5
miles SW. of Shrewsbury.
Longdcndale. See Mottram in Longdendale.
Longdon.—par. and vil., Staffordshire, 4 miles NW.
of Lichfield, 4511 ac., pop. 1366; P.O.; in vicinity of
vil. is the seat of Longdon Hall.—2. Longdon, par.
and vil., Worcestershire, 2% miles SAA7. of Upton, 3903
ac., pop. 528; P.O.—3. Longdon, hamlet, Tredington
par., AVorcestershire, in detached part of co., 2 miles
N. of Shipston-on-Stour.
Longdon upon Tern, par., Shropshire, on river Tern
and Shrewsbury Canal, 3% miles NAV. of AVellington,
823 ac., pop. 131.
Longdown, hamlet, in SE. of Devon, 4 miles SE. of
Longdykc, vil., Bothkennar par., Stirling, pop. 305.
Longfaugb, eminence with remains of ancient fort,
in par. and 1% mile E. of Crichton, Edinburghshire.
Longfleld, par. and vil., Kent, 5 miles SAV. of
Gravesend, 605 ac., pop. 328; P.O., T.o.
Longfleld, East, par., W. co. Tyrone, 9717 ac., pop.
1878; contains Drumquin.
Longfleld, West, par., W. co. Tyrone, adjacent to
East Longfleld, 23,904 ac., pop. 3486.
Longflcet, township, Canford Magna par., Dorset,
wholly within the bor. of Poole, 1289 ac., pop. 2207; P.O.
Longford.—par., township, and vil., Derbyshire—
par., 6656 ac., pop. 946; township, 2983 ac., pop. 408 ;
vil., 5% miles SE. of Ashborne; P.O.; in vicinity is the
seat of Longford Hall.—2. Longford, hamlet, in par.
and 1% mile S. of Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire;
in vicinity is the seat of Longford Hall.—3. Longford,
vii., Kingsland par., Herefordshire, inN. of co., 4 miles
NAV. of Leominster. — 4. Longford, hamlet, Har-
mondsworth par., Middlesex, 1% mile E. of Colnbrook ;
P.O.—5. Longford, par., Shropshire, 1% mile AV. of
Newport ry. sta., 1258 ac., pop. 95; contains the seat
of Longford HaU.—6. Longford, vil., 5 miles NE.
of Axbridge, Somerset; adjacent is Longford Com-
mon, and in AV. vicinity of vil. is Longford Hill.—
7. Longford, hamlet, Stretton on the Foss par., War-
wickshire, 3 miles W. of Shipston-on-Stour.—S. Long-
ford, vil. with ry. sta. (Longford and Exhall), Exhall
near Coventry par., Warwickshire, on river Anker, 4%
miles NE. of Coventry; P.O. — 9. Longford, vil.,
Britford par., AVilts, on river Avon, 2% miles SE. of
Salisbury; Longford Castle, seat of the Earl of Rad-
nor, is in vicinity.
Longford.—an inland co. of Leinster province, and
situated nearly in the centre of Ireland; bounded NW.
by co. Leitrim, NE. by co. Cavan, SE. and S. by eo.
AVestmeath, and AAr. by co. Roscommon (from which it
is divided by Lough Ree and the river Shannon);
greatest length, NE. and SW., 32 miles; greatest
breadth, NW. and SE., 18 miles; average breadth, 15
miles; area, 269,409 ac. (13,675 water), or 13 per cent,
of the total area of Ireland; pop. 61,009, of whom 91'0
per cent, are Roman Catholics, 8'0 Protestant Episco-
palians, 0-6 Presbyterians, and 0'3 Methodists. The
surface for the most part is flat, and is much inter-
spersed with bog. The principal streams besides the
Shannon are the Inny, the Camlin, and the Kerragh.
There is a range of bleak hills along the NW. border.
Lakes are numerous. Much of the soil is fertile, vary-
ing from a light mould to deep loam; limestone and
marble are general. (For agricultural statistics, see
Appendix.) Flax and oats are the chief crops. Butter
is produced in great quantities, the chief market for
which is Drogheda. There are some linen and coarse
woollen mfrs., and many females are employed in
spinning. The Royal Canal, with its branches, tra-
verses a great extent of this county. The co. comprises
6 bars.—Ardagh, Granard, Longford, Moydow, Rath-
cline, and Shrule; 23 pars, and several parts of pars.;
and the towns of Longford, Granard, and Edgeworths-
town. For parliamentary purposes the co. is divided
into 2 divisions—viz., North Longford and South Long-
ford—each returning 1 member.—2. Longford, bar., N.
co. Longford, 57,243 ac., pop. 16,241.—3. Longford,
market town, county and assize town, and township
with ry. sta., Templemichael par., inid. co. Longford,
on river Camlin and a branch of the Royal Canal, 76
miles NW. of Dublin, 435 ac., pop. 4380; 3 Banks, 2
newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday.
It has good markets for grain, flax, bacon, eggs, and
butter. There are barracks for cavalry, occupying the
site of the old castle. Longford gives the title of baron
to the family of Pakenham.—4. Longford, bar., E. co.
Galway, 96,506 ac., pop. 13,137.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)