Lowestoft (or Northern) Division, The, pari. div.
of Suffolk, pop. 56,503.
Loweswater, township, St Bees par., Cumberland,
7 miles S. of Cockermouth, 9415 ac. (190 water), pop.
315; P.O. Loweswater Lake is 1J mile long and about
600 yds. broad ; its S. shore is fringed with wood.
Lowficld, hamlet, Bowes par., North-Riding York¬
shire, 5½ miles SW. of Barnard Castle.
Lowficld Heath, vil., Charlwood par., Surrey, 6 m.
S. of Reigate ; P.O.
Lowfold, hamlet, Calverley par., N. div. AYest-
Riding Yorkshire, 2 miles N. of Bradford.
Lowhonses, hamlet, on river Tees, Durham, 11 miles
NW. of Barnard Castle.
Lowick.—township, Ulverston par., N. Lancashire,
on river Crake, 5 miles N. of Ulverston, 2261 ac., pop.
376; ¾ mile N. of the church is Lowick Bridge,
commanding a fine view of Coniston Water and Con¬
iston Fells.-—2. Lowick, par. and vil., Northampton¬
shire, 2 miles NW. of Thrapston, 2200 ac., pop. 390;
P.O.—3. Lowick, par. and vil., Northumberland, 7
miles NAY. of Belford, 12,878 ac., pop. 1513; P.O.;
there are collieries, stone quarries, and brick works.
Lowlandman Bay, on E. side of Jura isl., Argyll.
Lowlands, all the Scottish mainland not included in
the Highlands : which see.
Lowlands St Minver, township, St Minver par.,
Cornwall, 4 miles NE. of AVadebridge, 2287 ac., 319
tidal water, and 754 foreshore, pop. 421.
Lowlynn, hamlet, Kyloe par., Northumberland, 7½
miles NAY. of Belford ; in vicinity is the seat of Low¬
Lowmill.—hamlet, St Bees par., Cumberland, near
AVhitehaven.—2. Lowmill, hamlet, Fewston par., E.
div. AVest-Riding Yorkshire, 5½ miles N. of Otley.
Lows, Loch of. See Loch of Lows.
Lowside, a division of AVhickham par., Durham,
3 miles SAV. of Gateshead; has iron and chemical works,
collieries, and brickworks.
Lowside Quarter, coast township, St Bees par.,
Cumberland, 4 miles S. of AVhitehaven, 1962 ac. (34
water), and 536 foreshore, pop. 314 ; the ruins of Egre-
mont Castle are here.
Lowtlier. — river, AYestmorland, in NW. of co.;
issues from Hawes AYater, and flows N. past Bampton,
Lowther Castle, Askham, and Clifton to the Eamont
at Brougham Castle; is 17 miles long; the valley
is everywhere rich in scenery.—2. Lowtlier, par. and
vil. (ry. sta. Clifton and Lowther), AYestmorland, in NW.
of co., on river Lowther—par., 3674 ac., pop. 470; the
vil. is 4 miles S. of Penrith ; Lowther Castle, seat of
Earl of Lonsdale, is in vicinity of vil. and contains a rich
collection of paintings, sculpture, and antiquities ; the
par. also contains the vil. of Newton Lowther.—3.
Lowther, hamlet, AYestmorland, in AAr. of co., on AVin-
dermere, 1 mile S. of Ambleside.
Lowther Lodge, seat, 2 miles NW. of Balbriggan,
N. co. Dublin.
Lowthers, The (or Leadhllls), mountain-range, in
S. of Lanarkshire and N. of Dumfriesshire, reaching in
Lowther Hill and Green Lowther alts, of 2377 and 2403ft.
Lowthcrstown, co. Fermanagh. See Irvinestown.
Lowthertown, vil., Dornock par., Dumfriesshire, 3
miles E. of Annan.
Lowthorpe, par. andry. sta., East-Riding Yorkshire,
4| miles NE. of Driffield, 1969 ac., pop. 197; P.O.; in
vicinity of sta. is the seat of Lowthorpe Lodge.
Lowtliwaite, hamlet, Crosthwaite par., Cumberland,
on river Greta, 3 miles E. of Keswick.
Lowton.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., SW. Lanca¬
shire, 6 miles N. of AVarrington, 1830 ac., pop. 2357;
P.O.; in vicinity of vil. is the seat of Lowton Hall.—2.
Lowton, hamlet, on S. border of Somerset, 4 m. SE. of
AVellington ; in vicinity is the seat of Lowton House.
Lowton Hall, seat, Cheshire, near border of Staf¬
fordshire, 5 miles SW. of Congleton.
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)