Maisey-Hampton, par., Gloucestershire, 2½ miles
SW. of Fairford and 6¼ miles E. of Cirencester, 1920
ac., pop. 332; P.O., called Meyseyhampton.
Major, Longli, near Ballybay, mid. co. Monaghan.
Makcney, hamlet, Duffield par., Derbyshire, 1¼ mile
S. of Belper.
Maker, par. and vil., Cornwall, on W. side of Ply-
mouth Sound, 2¼ miles SW. of Devonport, 2382 ac.,
pop. 3052; the church (ancient, with tombs of the
Edgcumbes) is a well-known landmark.
Makerston, jiar., Roxburghshire, 2865 ac., pop. 381;
P.O.; Makerston House is on the river Tweed, 4 miles
SW. of Kelso.
Mai Bay, W. co. Clare, 6 miles long; is unsheltered.
Malaliide, coast par. and vil. with ry. sta., in co.
and 9 miles N. of Dublin—par., 1130 ac., pop. 1189 ;
vil., pop. 670; P.O., T.O. ; has oyster fisheries, and is
resorted to in summer by the Dublin people. In
vicinity is Malaliide Castle, seat of Lord Talbot de
Malahide, whose ancestor was granted the estates by
Henry II. in 1174 ; also the ruins of Malaliide Abbey.
Malborougli, par. and vil., Devon—par. (containing
Salcombe), 5310 ac. (420 water), pop. 2434; vil., 4 miles
SW. of Kingsbridge ; P.O.
Malboroiigh-in-the-Yines, former par., in Droit-
Malhray, Old, vil., on coast of Cumberland, 3 miles
N. of Allonby; P.O.
Malcomb Place, hamlet, near Sittingbourne,
Malden (or Old Malden), par. and vil., Surrey, on
river Hogs-Mill, near Worcester Park sta. and 3 miles
SE. of Kingston upon Thames, 1294 ac., pop. 525; P.O.,
T.o., called Worcester Park. Merton College, after-
wards removed to Oxford, was founded here in 1264 by
Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester.
Malden, New, market town with ry. sta. (Coombe
and Malden), in par. and 2 miles E. of Kingston upon
Thames, Surrey, 850 ac., pop. 2538; P.O., t.o. Market-
day, Saturday. New Malden is practically a suburb of
Kingston upon Thames.
Maid on, mun. bor., market town, and river port,
Essex, at the influx of the river Chelmer to the Black-
water estuary, 17 miles SW. of Colchester and 44 miles
NE. of London by rail, 3035 ae., pop. 5468; P.O., T.O.,
2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. During
the period of the Danish invasions, Maldon was a Saxon
stronghold, and was twice attacked by the foe, in 921
and 993. Henry II. granted it a charter of incorporation.
Its mfrs. are crystallised salt, silk fabrics, cordage, and
sails; it also has industries in brewing, brickinaking,
and ironfounding. Oyster fisheries are a lucrative local
resource, and some shipping trade is carried on. Maldon
is now a sub-port of Colchester. It returned 2 mem-
bers to Parliament from Edward III. until 1867, and
1 member from 1867 until 1885.
Maldon (or Eastern) Division, Tbe, pari. div. of
Essex, pop. 51,136.
Malew (or Kirk Malew), par., in S. of Isle of Man,
containing town of Castletown, 12,865 ae., pop. 4840.
Halford, Christian,Wilts. See Christian Malford.
Malham, township and vil., Kirkby in Malham Dale
par., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Aire, 5¼
miles E, of Settle, 4282 ac., pop. 148; P.O.; Malham
is annually visited by great numbers of tourists, the
attractions being Gordale Scar and Malham Cove, a
vast amphitheatre of limestone cliffs, 285 ft. high.
Malham Moor, township, Kirkby in Malham Dale
par., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 5 miles NE. of
Settle, 10,976 ac., pop. 126; contains Malham Tarn,
a lonely lake, beside which is Malham Tarn House.
Malin, coast vil., Clonca par., N. co. Donegal, 25
miles N. of Londonderry, pop. 156; P.O. T.O.; llalin
Hall, seat, is in vicinity.
Malin Bay, Glencolumbkille par., SAY. co. Donegal;
2 miles wide.
Malin Bridge, in W. of Sheffield; P.O.
Malin Head, 7 miles NW. of Malin, N. co. Donegal;
alt. 226 ft.; the most N. point of Ireland.
Malinbcg, hamlet, on Malin Bay, SW. co. Donegal,
23 miles W. of Killybegs ; P.O.
Malindina A Obey, ruin, near Downing Hall, 3 miles
NAY. of Holywell, Flintshire.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)