Bartholomew’s Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887) page 537 right column

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Maryborough, East and West, 2 bars., mid. Queen’s
co.—East Maryborough, 25,160 ac., pop. 6399; AYest
Maryborough, 41,914 ac., pop. 8029.

Mary burgh.—former name of town of Fort AVilliam,
Inverness-shire.—2. Marybnrgh, vil., Cleish par., in
co. and 4 miles S. of Kinross.—3. Marybnrgh, vil.,
partly in Dingwall par. but chiefly in Fodderty par.,
Ross and Cromarty, on river Conon, 14 mile SAY. of
Dingwall, pop. 420;

Maryculter, par. and hamlet, in N. of Kincardine-
shire—par., 7781 ac., pop. 1072; hamlet, 24 miles SE.
of Culter sta. and 7 miles SAY. of Aberdeen;
P.O.; 1
mile NAY., on river Dee, is Maryculter House, seat.

Marydale, place with Roman Catholic church and
school, Kilmorack par., Inverness-shire, on river Glass,
near Invercannich, 17 miles SAY. of Beauly.

Mary hill, police burgh with ry. sta., Barony par.,
and par., embraced within Barony and Glasgow City
pars., Lanarkshire—par., pop. 39,980; burgh, 34 miles
NAY. of the centre of Glasgow, pop. 12,884 ;
P.O., T.O.,
2 Banks. Maryhill has railway and tramway com-
munication with Glasgow, of which it is a suburban
burgh, and which it almost conjoins. Among its in-
dustries are ironworks, glassworks, paperworks, &c.,
and in the vicinity are coal mines. At Maryhill are
the Dawsholm gasworks (for the supply of Glasgow)
and the Maryhill BarracEis (at Garrioch) ; the latter
were finished in 1876, and have accommodation for a
regiment of infantry, a squadron of cavalry, and a
battery of field artillery.

Marykirk, par. and vil. with ry. sta., in S. of Kin-
cardineshire—par., 9841 ac., pop. 1461; vil., on river
North Esk, 1J mile S. of its ry. sta. and 6 miles NAY.
of Montrose;

Maryland, seat, 3 m. SAA7. of Cloyne, SE. co. Cork.

Maryland S’oint, ry. sta., Essex, % mile SAY. of
Forest Gate sta. and 4j miles NE. of Liverpool Street
sta., London.

Marylebone, parl. bor. and par. (St Marylebone),
Middlesex, in NAY. of London, 1506 ac., pop. 154,910.
Marylebone returns 2 members (2 divisions, viz., East
and AYest, 1 member for each division); the old parl.
bor. of Marylebone included also the pars, of Padding-
ton and St Pancras, and returned 2 members.

Maryparli, Inveravon par., Banffshire, 3 miles NE.
of Ballindalloch;

Maryport, market town and seaport, Cross Canonby
and Dearham pars., Cumberland, at mouth of river
Ellen, 54 miles NE. of AYorkington, 28 SAY. of Carlisle,
and 313 NAY. of London by rail, 2827 ac., pop. 8126.
Tuesday and Friday. Maryport was
called Ellenport until 1750, when the harbour was
constructed; a new dock of 10 ac. was opened in 1884,
and Maryport is now the largest port between the
Mersey and the Clyde, with the exception of Barrow-
in-Furness. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)
Shipbuilding is carried on to a small extent, and the
other industries include sailcloth works, iron-foundries,
flour mills, saw mills, tanning, and brewing. The
herring fishery is prosecuted, and in the neighbourhood
are collieries and iron-furnaces.

Mary’s Loch, Ross and Cromarty. See Morie, Loch.

Maryston, West, vil., Old Monkland par., Lanark-
shire, 3 miles AY. of Coatbridge, pop. 534.

Marystow, par. and vil., Devon, 64 miles NAY. of
Tavistock, 2895 ac., pop. 390; in vicinity of vil. is
Marystow Honse, seat.

Marytavy, vil. with ry. sta., St Mary Tavy par.,
Devon, 4 m. NE. of Tavistock;
P.O., called Msiry Tavy.

Mary town, par., Forfarshire, on S. side of river South
Esk, 3562 ac., pop. 389; the par. consists of 3 detached
portions—Marytown proper, Dysart, and Grahamsfirth;
the church is 24 m. SAY. of Montrose; the Great Marquis
of Montrose (1612-1650) was a native; he was born at
Old Montrose, whence his family took their titles.

Maryville, ry. sta., Lanarkshire, 5£ miles NAY. of
Hamilton and 6£ miles SE. of Glasgow.

Maryville, seat, eo. Galway; post-town, Kinvarra.

Mary well, vil., St Yigeans par., Forfarshire, 2 miles
N. of Arbroath.

Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.

Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from

Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)

Page 537 left column ... Page 538 left column

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.