Manldcn, par. and vil., Bedfordshire, 1\ mile SE.
of Ampthill, 2574 ac., pop. 1311'; P.O.
Maulds Meabiirn Hall, Crosby Ravensworth par.,
Westmorland, on river Lyvennet, 3 m. S. of Appleby;
once the residence of the Lowthers, is now a farmhouse.
Mauldsllc Castle, seat with extensive park, on river
Clyde, Lanarkshire, in par. and 2-g miles W. of Carluke;
was built (1793) for the fifth Earl of Hyndford.
Maulcsden, seat, on river South Esk, Forfarshire,
in par. and 1| mile SW. of Brechin.
Maulsldc, seat, Dairy par., Ayrshire, 2 miles SAY.
IHauin . See Maam .
Maumbury, Dorset. See Mambury.
Maumykclly, mountain, bar. Erris, co. Mayo, 1205 ft.
Maun by, township, Kirby AYiske par., North-Riding
Yorkshire, on river Swale, 5 miles SW. of Northallerton,
1546 ac., pop. 205.
Maunsell llonse, ancient seat, with fine grounds,
North Petherton par., Somerset, 64 m. NE. of Taunton.
Maurice, Devon. See Plyhpton Earls.
Manricewood, seat, Glencorse par., Edinburgh-
shire, 1J mile NAY. of Penicuik.
Mantby, par., Norfolk, 5 miles NW. of Yarmouth,
1659 ac., pop. 121.
Mavesyn ltidware, par. and seat, Staffordshire, on
river Trent and Grand Trunk Canal, 3 miles SE. of
Rugeley, 2486 ac., pop. 473.
Mavis Enderby (or St Michaels Enderby), par.,
Lincolnshire, 24 m. NAY. of Spilsby, 1318 ac., pop. 140.
Mavis Grind, narrow isthmus, connecting the North-
mavine and Delting portions of Mainland, Shetland.
Mavis Grove, seat, Troqueer par., Kirkcudbright,
on river Nith, 2 miles S. of Dumfries.
Mavvcarse, ry. sta., Kinross-shire, on border of co.,
3| miles NE. of Kinross Junction.
Mawddach, river, with waterfalls, Merioneth; flows
10 miles SW. to vicinity of Dolgelly, where it begins to
widen out into an estuary, and thence 9 miles SAY. to
the sea at Barmouth.
Mawdesley, township, eccl. dist., and vil., Croston
par., N. Lancashire—township, 2950ac., pop. 928; dist.,
pop. 1208; vil., 6 miles SAY. of Chorley; P.O.; in
vicinity of vil. is Mawdesley Hall, an ancient mansion.
Mawgan in Meneage, par. and vil., Cornwall, on
river Helford, 34 miles SE. of Helston, 5452 ac., pop.
861; P.O., called Mawgan.
Mawgan in Fyder, par. and vil., Cornwall, 3 miles
NW. of St Columb-Major and 12 miles NW. of St
Austell, 5525 ac., pop. 70S; P.O., called Mawgan; 2
miles NW. of vil., on the coast, is Mawgan Forth,
hay ; at the vil. is Lanherne Nunnery: which see.
Mawkins Hazclls, hamlet, St Briavels par., Glou-
cestershire, 74 miles N. of Chepstow.
Mawlcy Hall, seat, Shropshire, SE. border of co.,
on river Teme, 1 mile SE. of Cleobury Mortimer.
Mawnan, par. and vil. (Mawnan Smith), Cornwall,
4 miles SAY. of Falmouth, 2117 ac., pop. 522; P.O.
Mawr, township, Llangafelach par., Glamorgan, 74
miles N. of Swansea, 9217 ac., pop. 1071.
Mawslcy, par., Northampton, pop. 8. See Faxton.
Mawthorpe, hamlet, AYilloughby par., Lincolnshire,
2 miles S. of Alford.
Maxey, par., township, and vil., Northamptonshire,
7 miles NAY. of Peterborough—par., 2280 ac., pop. 592;
township, pop. 380.
Maxlicld, old timbered house, Guestlingpar., Sussex,
34 miles NE. of Hastings.
Maxpoflle, seat, in NW. of Roxburghshire, 14 mile
SW. of St Boswells.
Maxstoke, par. and vil., Warwickshire, on river
Blythe, 24 miles SE. of Coleshill, 2701 ac., pop. 241;
Maxstoke Castle, seat, is of time Edward III.; it is
a picturesque building, a considerable part of it remain-
ing in the same state as when erected; it is in the form
of a parallelogram, with a hexagonal tower at each
corner, and is surrounded by a moat; a priory of the
same date as the castle is represented by ruins of a
fine gateway and by the tower of the church.
Maxton, par., vil., and seat, with ry. sta., Roxburgh-
shire, on S. side of river Tweed—par., 4422 ac., pop.
456; the vil. is 14 mile SE. of St Boswells and 8| miles
SAY. of Kelso.
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)