Mickley.—eccl. dist., township, and vil., Ovingham
par., Northumberland—dist., pop. 1822; township, 1206
ac., pop. 1371; vil., 9 miles B. of Hexham; P.O. at
Mickley Square; has coal mines.—2. Mickley, eccl.
dist. and vil., Kirkby Malzeard par., E. div. West-Riding
Yorkshire—dist., pop. 365; vil., on river Ure, 5% miles
NW. of Ripon; P.O.
Mld-Calder, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Edinburgh-
shire ; P.O., T.o., 1 Bank. See Calder, Mid.
Mid Clyth, hamlet, Latheronpar., Caithness, 3 miles
NE. of Lybster; P.O.
Mid Iligliain, 1 mile from Rochester, Kent; P.O.
Mid Island, in Lough Strangford, Grey Abbey par.,
E. co. Down, 15 ac., pop. 7.
Mid Lee (or Firth), school, Delting par., Shetland.
Mid-Lothian. See Edinburghshire.
Mid Walls, school, Walls par., Shetland.
Mid Yell, hamlet, on Mid Yell Yoe, E. side of Yell
island, Mid and South Yell par., Shetland; P.O., T.o.
Mldbea, hamlet, Westray island, Orkney, 3 miles S.
Midbrake, seat, Yell island, Shetland, 2 miles from
Middle. — hamlet, Ystradyfodwg par., Glamorgan,
8% miles SW. of Merthyr-Tydfil; has coal mines.—2.
Middle, par., township, and vil., Shropshire—par.,
6909 ac., pop. 1207; township, pop. 676; vil., 7 miles
NW. of Shrewsbury; P.O. ; has ruins of a castle.
Middle Barton, vil., Steeple Barton par., Oxford-
shire, 4% miles SW. of Deddington ; P.O.
Middle Drove, ry. sta., Norfolk, 6 m. E. of Wisbech.
Middle Fell, mountain, Cumberland, on N W. side of
Wast AYater, alt. 1908 ft.
Middle Ground, shoal, in Thames estuary, below the
Nore ; is 2 miles by % m., and nearly dry at low water.
Middle Handley, vil., 4 miles SE. of Dronfield,
Middle Hill.—eminence, 1% mile SW of Douglas,
Isle of Man.—2. Middle Hill, hamlet, Box par., Wilts,
4 miles SAY. of Corsham.—3. Middle Hill, seat, AYor-
cestershire, 3 miles SAY. of Chipping Campden; the
library has a large collection of MS. volumes.
Middle Holm, island, in Ullswater.
Middle Patcli, shoal, at the mouth of the Mersey,
opposite Formby Point; is dry at low water.
Middle llasen, vil., 1% mile W. of Market Rasen,
Middle Temple, par., Middlesex, in City of London,
4 ac., pop. 95.
Middle Wallop, 5 miles NW. of Stockbridge,
Middlebie, par., SE. Dumfriesshire, 17,545 ac., pop.
1927 ; contains Kirtlebridge.
Middlebridge, hamlet, in par. and 1% mile N. of
Middlecott, hamlet, in par. and 3% miles W. of Black
Middledean, vil., Dunfermline par., Pife, If mile
NW. of Inverkeithing.
Middlefield, Upper, seat, 1 mile from Woodside, in
co. and 2 miles NW. of Aberdeen.
Mlddleham, par. and vil., North-Riding Yorkshire,
2k m. SE. of Leyburn, 2154 ac., pop. 818; P.O., T.o.; in
vicinity of vil. is Mlddleham Hall, seat; on the top of
the hill are the extensive and picturesque ruins of
Mlddleham Castle (12th century), the stronghold of
Warwick, the King Maker, and the favourite resi-
dence of Richard III.; horses are broken on M. Moor.
Middlemarch, Minterne Magna par., Dorset, 3%
miles N. of Cerne Abbas; here was a seat of the abbots
of Cerne, and of the Napiers.
Middleney, seat, Drayton par., Somerset, on river
Isle, 2 miles S. of Langport.
Middlequarter, hamlet, Inishbofin par., co. Galway.
Middlesbrough, pari, and mun. bor., par., township,
and river port, North-Riding Yorkshire, on right bank
of Tees estuary, 3 miles NE. of Stockton and 239 from
London by rail—par., 3216 ac. (403 water), pop. 55,367;
township, 1080 ac. (116 water), pop. 36,631; pari. bor.,
pop. 72,601; mun. bor., 2731 ac., pop. 55,934; 4 Banks,
4 newspapers. Middlesbrough is an almost unparalleled
example of rapid growth. In 1831 its population was
383; in 1841 it was 5709; in 1851, 7893; in 1861,19,416;
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)